Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wiring PM-65 3 ph

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
I am trying to wire up a Powermatic 65 with orig motor 2hp 3ph. Lots
of issues to resolve and I am not an electrician.I also only have a
wire diagram for the 66 but the switch box looks much the same. The
wiring it came with only had the 3 hot leads red to Li white to L2 and
black to L3. There was no 4th green wire but it was wired into the
building with metal conduit so maybe that held the ground.

I have a rotary converter. I saw it working when I bought it.3hp 15
amp.

I used 4-12 SO cable to the saw and attached the green to to ground
block at the right side of the swithc box, the same one the motor
connects to as this is how the 66 doagram shows it.

On my 3 pole 4 wire grounding locking plug on the other end of the
cable I put
Green to terminal marked G
White to X
Red to Y
Black to Z

The converter has R, G and two Black wires
on the plug I tried G to G and Red to Y with Blacks to X and Y

Converter spins up and hums nicely
Hit switch on saw, it jumps and hums then after a few seconds he
converter changes to a add a little rattle
Kill the saw and the converter still rumbles.
Kill converter, turn back on hums nice

Switched blacks on plug at converter
Start converter, start saw
Blows 30 amp 220 breaker in the wall
switched blacks back
Still blows circut if cable is plugged into converter but converter
runs fine by itself.

with the saw disconnected and the converter running, take a volt meter
and check to see if you have 208/240v on all three output terminals of the
converter.

A rotary converter is nothing more than a three phase motor with 240 single
phase
attached to two of the leads and the load connected to all three leads.

Also make sure that the powermatic is wired for 208/240v and not 480v.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

You want to measure phase to phase.

e.g. hot to hot.

e.g. L1 to L2 L2 to L3 and L3 to L1.

On the AC scale - and at the range of voltage higher than
expected.

You might be shorting a leg.

Martin

Lee Michaels wrote:
"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
OK, I have a multimeter but not exactly sure how to set it. I guess I
can look that up and figure it out. So I place the red wire probe on
the hot lead and put the black wire probe where? No smart comments
please :-)

I am not sure what you are testing. But generally speaking, if testing an
AC outlet/wire, just put a probe on each wire/hole and read off the
multimeter. Make sure your settings are correct on the multimeter first.

Cat 5 wiring mark Home Repair 73 December 13th 08 03:07 AM
Wiring a Generator Independent of the house's wiring Carl Home Repair 16 May 12th 06 04:28 PM
Wiring certificate and standards for household wiring D.M. Procida UK diy 5 March 10th 06 10:09 AM
Wiring problems, and possibly unsafe old wiring [email protected] Home Repair 4 November 16th 05 04:13 AM
wiring problem wioth loop in wiring and two way switching chrisc UK diy 2 December 28th 04 08:11 PM