Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Omni Dual Saw - Is it any good?

A friend recently found a new tool called the Dual Saw. He asked me if
I knew anything about it wondering if it was worth it for him to buy.

Since I had not heard of it before, he was wondering if anyone
in rec.woodworking could give us some feedback on it. TIA.

Omni Dual Saw: http://www.dualsaw.com

It certainly looks nifty, if it really lives up to it's show. But is
really good or just another dog and pony show?

`Casper
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Casper" wrote in message
A friend recently found a new tool called the Dual Saw. He asked me if
I knew anything about it wondering if it was worth it for him to buy.

Since I had not heard of it before, he was wondering if anyone
in rec.woodworking could give us some feedback on it. TIA.

Omni Dual Saw: http://www.dualsaw.com

It certainly looks nifty, if it really lives up to it's show. But is
really good or just another dog and pony show?

`Casper

Actually Craftsman came out with that saw 4 or 5 years ago and dropped it
and then started carrying it again.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Actually Craftsman came out with that saw 4 or 5 years ago and dropped it
and then started carrying it again.

Apparently they have it again, and cheaper.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00925574000P

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Casper" wrote in message
A friend recently found a new tool called the Dual Saw. He asked me if
I knew anything about it wondering if it was worth it for him to buy.

Since I had not heard of it before, he was wondering if anyone
in rec.woodworking could give us some feedback on it. TIA.

Omni Dual Saw: http://www.dualsaw.com

It certainly looks nifty, if it really lives up to it's show. But is
really good or just another dog and pony show?

`Casper

Looks pretty interesting but I would not want to use it fore anything
precise. They need to incorporate a removable table for it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Casper" wrote in message
A friend recently found a new tool called the Dual Saw. He asked me if
I knew anything about it wondering if it was worth it for him to buy.

Since I had not heard of it before, he was wondering if anyone
in rec.woodworking could give us some feedback on it. TIA.

Omni Dual Saw: http://www.dualsaw.com

It certainly looks nifty, if it really lives up to it's show. But is
really good or just another dog and pony show?

Sears used to sell a simular saw. It had the counter rotating blades. Didn't
last long.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Casper wrote in
:

A friend recently found a new tool called the Dual Saw. He
asked me if I knew anything about it wondering if it was
worth it for him to buy.

Since I had not heard of it before, he was wondering if
anyone in rec.woodworking could give us some feedback on
it. TIA.

Omni Dual Saw: http://www.dualsaw.com

It certainly looks nifty, if it really lives up to it's
show. But is really good or just another dog and pony show?

`Casper

Anything "Billy Mays Here" is selling I would be very careful
about buying. Not to mention he's obnoxious... Just my .02...

Larry
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 23:34:50 GMT, Larry wrote:

Casper wrote in
:

A friend recently found a new tool called the Dual Saw. He
asked me if I knew anything about it wondering if it was
worth it for him to buy.

Since I had not heard of it before, he was wondering if
anyone in rec.woodworking could give us some feedback on
it. TIA.

Omni Dual Saw: http://www.dualsaw.com

It certainly looks nifty, if it really lives up to it's
show. But is really good or just another dog and pony show?

`Casper

Anything "Billy Mays Here" is selling I would be very careful
about buying. Not to mention he's obnoxious... Just my .02...

The only thing worth using that Billy has done a commercial for is
ESPN!

Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

Anything "Billy Mays Here" is selling I would be very careful
about buying. Not to mention he's obnoxious... Just my .02...

The only thing worth using that Billy has done a commercial for is
ESPN!

Mark

Yeah, I'm as wary of Billy as I am Kevin Trudeau.

I missed the Ccraftsman version. I did pick up one a craftsman
roto-like kit and it has come in handy several tiimes but I guess they
weren't popular either as I do not see them anymore.

Thanks for the replies btw.
`Casper
Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote in message

"Casper" wrote in message
A friend recently found a new tool called the Dual Saw. He asked me if
I knew anything about it wondering if it was worth it for him to buy.

Since I had not heard of it before, he was wondering if anyone
in rec.woodworking could give us some feedback on it. TIA.

Omni Dual Saw: http://www.dualsaw.com

It certainly looks nifty, if it really lives up to it's show. But is
really good or just another dog and pony show?

Sears used to sell a simular saw. It had the counter rotating blades.
Didn't last long.

They still sell it, again.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, let's see

Three easy payments of $59.99 - comes to 3 cents shy of $180
so let's call it $180 even.

Then there's the $39.99 S&H which we'll round up to an even $40
to keep the math easier.

So the "In You Hands Price Tag is "only" $220.

You can get a pretty nice "regular" circular saw - that
will produce nice finished cuts - or deal with 2x4s and
4x4s - for that kind of money - and a well known
brand name - with an established reputation - for
that kind of money.

Anyone here planning on using a hand held circular saw - which
doesn't have a "table"/"foot" - but comes with an edge guide (?)
- and "lubricating sticks" - to - cut through nails - or steel pipe?

And when you're trying to get someone to believe that the
finish of its cut in wood is "craftsman like" - don't provide
the close up of the cut - that looks far from "craftsman like".

I couldn't find any info on the blade diameter or the max
thickness it can cut - something I WANT TO KNOW before
I'd fork over $220.

I'm going to pass on this one - too much hype and not enough
actual information.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 28, 5:34*pm, Larry wrote:
Casper wrote :

A friend recently found a new tool called the Dual Saw. He
asked me if I knew anything about it wondering if it was
worth it for him to buy.

Since I had not heard of it before, he was wondering if
anyone in rec.woodworking could give us some feedback on
it. TIA.

Omni Dual Saw:http://www.dualsaw.com

It certainly looks nifty, if it really lives up to it's
show. But is really good or just another dog and pony show?

`Casper

Anything "Billy Mays Here" is selling I would be very careful
about buying. Not to mention he's obnoxious... Just my .02...

Larry

Billy Mays, yah, yawn.....

Vince with the ShamWOW!, now there's my new fave for infomercials!
Duud: ummm..... you don't need that headset. There's a boom mike
just above you.

D'ohBoy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 28, 9:54*am, Casper wrote:
A friend recently found a new tool called the Dual Saw. He asked me if
I knew anything about it wondering if it was worth it for him to buy.

Since I had not heard of it before, he was wondering if anyone
in rec.woodworking could give us some feedback on it. TIA.

Omni Dual Saw:http://www.dualsaw.com

It certainly looks nifty, if it really lives up to it's show. But is
really good or just another dog and pony show?

`Casper

I saw the infomercial very early on a Saturday morning but I was in a
hurry and did not have the time to do research on it. You can say the
hype in the informercial got me this time, but to be fair, I saw
enough of its potential to order this dualsaw from twinstar for
evaluation and had high hopes that it's worthy enough to keep.

I got it shipped to me 3 days ago and well the first impression is
that it has too many plastic components and won't be too durable if
it's used repetitively for big jobs. It's a tool that is probably
useful in certain situations that call for its multi-purpose
capability to quickly help you the task at hand without having to go
rent or get the professional grade power tools. In addition, the
dualsaw label is a cheap piece of sticker that will fall off. On the
blades, I'm not too worry about its durability since the replacement
for quality blades in general is expensive and well in the $50-$70
range, dualsaw priced their replacement blade is slightly below that
so it shouldn't be too bad, it's the motor, the plastic housing and
how well it can handle a minor drop to ground and etc.. Come to think
of it, if this product is discontinued the replacment blades would
also be discontinued .. which raises concern.

It's too bad I don't have the time to just go out and find all sort of
different materials to try this saw out. I'm more practical and was
hopeful that when I get the saw that there is a big contracting
project that my guys can actually test out its usefulness but we don't
have project to work on so due to the current economic situation.

To conclude, I'm wary enough to start searching for reviews of this
product online. So far no blogs or critics sites are raving about it
and to be fair there were also no real evidence of bad experiences ...
it's a fairly new product so there isn't much reliability testimonies
nor complaints. Again my only impression on it is that it's not built
to last or continuous heavy duty use.

I would give it some time if I were you before buying it even with the
money back guarantee promises to save yourself some time. I'm
returning my this coming Monday. If things doesn't go smoothly as
they have advertise wrt their return policy, I will try to go back
here and tell you all about it.

-- Minh
p.s. so that you know this is from a somewhat trustworthy source, I'm
a co-owner of 3M CONSTRUCTION LLC, a general contractor business in
Portland Oregon. Sorry if this is not informative enough.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 28, 3:03*pm, "Leon" wrote:
Actually Craftsman came out with that saw 4 or 5 years ago and dropped it
and then started carrying it again.

Apparently they have it again, and cheaper.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00925574000P

Harbor freight has two variations, one 5" and runs 5500rpm and the
other 6 1/8" and runs @ 4600 rpm. The latter looks just like the
Craftsman (or should I say the Craftsman looks like the Chicago
electric). This technology has been around for some time in Europe. I
think it was actually invented by the Swedes or Germans ("and you know
the Germans always make good things", from Shamwow). The technology
really does work as far as the counter rotating blades cutting
cleaner, cooler, and easier. That's why it is used for rescue. As far
as the Craftsman burning up, that may be because it is only rated for
1/8" thickness metals. The Omni does say it turns at 6000 rpm and it
does have an amp rating on their site. As far as the cost of the
blades, Harbor Freight has replacement blades for $29.95 for their
saws so the Omni replacements are about right but you still have the
shipping. In the infomercials, they only make quick short cuts that do
not take longer than a few seconds and they probably change out the
saw every few cuts so that they don't burn them out. The original saws
that these were down sized from is the size of a large chain saw and
probably weighs about 60 lbs, i.e. rescue saw. Just one more thing.
Does Billie Mays yell like that at his wife? I take that back, he does
not have a wife because he probably does yell like that all the time.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 8, 3:18*pm, wrote:
On Feb 28, 3:03*pm, "Leon" wrote:

"Harbor freight has two variations, one 5" and runs 5500rpm and the
other 6 1/8" and runs @ 4600 rpm."

What are the Harbor Freight Model Numbers?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 2, 2:29*pm, "D'ohBoy" wrote:
On Feb 28, 5:34*pm, Larry wrote:

Casper wrote :

[...]

I grew up in Philadelphia, and we'd always go to the Atlantic City
boardwalk, where there were tons of pitchmen (similar to Vince), for
various kitchen products. Usually knives or slicer/dicers, etc.
(Today's AC boardwalk is nothing like the old days.) These pitchmen
are actually very talented at what they do, and today you will see
them at Home Shows in your cities or towns-- selling the various As
Seen On TV products. Personally, I love watching them "do their
thing." But, as far as Vince goes: He is my favorite! Vince is
giving his pitch with a "wink-wink", giving an extreme version of the
boardwalk pitch. They really would talk like that! And of course, they
all use that headset-mic. Vince's rendition is very accurate, very
extreme, and very funny (on purpose).

As for the Dual Saw: There is a new reality-type TV show on Discovery
Channel, called "Pitchmen". It stars Billy Mays and the other guy
(British, can't think of his name). (They apparently now have some
sort of working relationship to sell products together.) I've seen the
TV show twice, and recommend it. It takes you behind the scenes of
the marketing of the many "As Seen on TV" type products-- from the
outset of picking a product, to the filming of commercials, etc. The
Dual Saw product was featured on the first episode I watched. I had
never heard of the Dual Saw before, never saw an infomercial about it,
etc. So, that's why I googled Dual Saw and found this discussion.
The Dual Saw gets a lot more exposure in the TV show: It was invented
by a French firefighter, can cut through any type of material,
including glass, concrete, steel, etc., has no kickback (safety
feature for firefighters), no vibration (cut's eggshell into two
halves), low friction heat (can cut gasoline-soaked materials w/o
causing an explosion or flame! But best not to try that at home.). It
cut a car in half in the show. (They accidentally cut a gas line, and
there was no flame/explosion). Of course the TV show is edited, but I
do not sense that blades were being changed at any time during the
filming of the demonstrations. If you can watch this episode, you
judge for yourself. The TV show gives a lot more information than the
1 minute infomercial, so I think the product becomes more impressive.
The pricing for the test marketing was about $100 (I think), so
they've upped the price. I don't know how this product relates to the
Craftsman dual saw referenced in the discussion. But, the French
firefighter claims to have invented it. That's all I know.

I don't think Vince would be good for selling this product (would you
buy a $220 Dual Saw from funnyman Vince?), but I guess Billy Mays and
the British guy have more- serious personna.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I really want to thank those that posted links to alternative
sources...

I've sure learned a lot about these saws since my first search a few
days ago that led me to this group.

There's obviously at least two of these saws; possibly all from the
same manufacturer.

The "Dual Saw" is the smaller 5" model with a small motor, and is
probably, from the reviews I found on another site, the one that Sears
discontinued because they were constantly going up in smoke the first
time they were used long enough to get hot. (Sears still carries the
5" blades but not that saw).

Sears now sells the 6 1/4" model, with a motor that's nearly 2 1/2
times more powerful... ...and they're either closing them out or
giving them away in one of their super-sales!

I'm now a proud owner... ...they were out of stock on-line, but I
searched a bunch of stores and found several in stock (had to drive 30
miles round-trip, but it was well worth it. They sell the 6 1/4"
regularly for $169.99, but right now (through May) have it on sale for
$109.99!! ($60 savings). With my Craftsman Club discount, I brought
it home for under $100!!!! ...sure beats the heck out of $220 for an
inferior model!

I still haven't tried it out yet, but the reviews were good on the
larger model... ...and there's always the Sears 100% satisfaction
guarantee.

....sure glad I found this site in a Goggle search
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 17, 8:32*pm, Steve Turner wrote:
"...Well that doesn't surprise me. *I usually run across the damnedest
things when I'm looking for my goggles."

ROFLMAO
Do I at least get credit for spelling the rest of the words right?

Posted to rec.woodworking

By the way, I made another mistake...
The motor in the bigger Craftsman in only twice as powerful (my math
isn't much better than my spelling).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 17, 7:48*pm, wrote:
I really want to thank those that posted links to alternative
sources...

I've sure learned a lot about these saws since my first search a few
days ago that led me to this group.

There's obviously at least two of these saws; possibly all from the
same manufacturer.

The "Dual Saw" is the smaller 5" model with a small motor, and is
...Sears discontinued because they were constantly going up in smoke the first
time they were used long enough to get hot. (Sears still carries the
5" blades but not that saw)...

With that said you should carefully examine the warranty statement for
the Dual Saw: https://www.dualsaw.com/faq.html

"We will replace the unit free of charge during the term of the
guarantee as long as the deficiencies are clearly caused by
construction or material faults, if the machine is returned to us in
the defective condition, S&H paid. The guarantee does not apply for
defects from normal wear, negligence, abnormal or overloading, and
does not cover cables, plugs, or carbon brushes."

If you cut something that takes longer than 2 seconds to cut through
and it burns out the saw are they going to claim it is not covered
under warranty because you over loaded it?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 17, 6:48*pm, wrote:
[...]

I'm glad to see that craftsman has something similar/more powerful,
I'm just wondering DOES IT OVERHEAT EASILY as couple of the reviews of
this product say it does, check it out:
http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...rd=twin+cutter

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 20, 3:17*pm, wrote:
On May 17, 7:48*pm, wrote:

[...]

hey u never know when you might need 1 to cut someone out of an
automobile
Posted to rec.woodworking

Check out the reviews section of the Sears 6.25" model:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1... #reviewsWrap

Seems they like to burn out.

On May 17, 4:48*pm, wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Had Billy offered a free Snuggie i would have raced for the phone to
order. Guess i'll stick with using the circular, sawzall and Flowbee
for all my cutting needs.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 16, 10:35*am, Rich wrote:
Had Billy offered a free Snuggie i would have raced for the phone to
order. Guess i'll stick with using the circular, sawzall and Flowbee
for all my cutting needs.

Don't see anything like this at Harbor Freight . . . part nos. or what
do they call it?