Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Let's see the ATF regulate THIS

Video of sawdust-fueled cannon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVLNoYkuC4s&NR=1

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Video of sawdust-fueled cannon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVLNoYkuC4s&NR=1

26 hours late, by my computer's clock

;-)

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking
Len Len is offline

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
: Video of sawdust-fueled cannon
:
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVLNoYkuC4s&NR=1
:

Don't know about the ATF, but if I was one of the local fire folks in
that area I don't think I'd be very pleased with anyone setting off that
kind of fireball in the middle of all those trees.

Len

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Video of sawdust-fueled cannon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVLNoYkuC4s&NR=1

Nice camera Trick! Every one here knows that saw dust suspended in the air
will not ignite. It has been discussed time and time and time again. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Interesting that "Every one here knows that sawdust ..."

Every year when I taught Shop I'd gather my students out back in the
compound and show them what happens when sawdust is puffed up (air
through a hose) under a large can with a lighted candle present. I
guess it was just magic that blew the can 50' up in the air?

On Feb 23, 12:38*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message

Nice camera Trick! *Every one here knows that saw dust suspended in the air
will not ignite. *It has been discussed time and time and time again. *;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 23, 12:38 pm, "Leon" wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message

Nice camera Trick! Every one here knows that saw dust suspended in the air
will not ignite. It has been discussed time and time and time again. ;~)

Without a doubt, Leon was being sarcastic... :-)

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

See the winky. Inside joke, I'm guessing.
I think he's playin' off another thread about dust collectors.

Interesting that "Every one here knows that sawdust ..."

Every year when I taught Shop I'd gather my students out back in the
compound and show them what happens when sawdust is puffed up (air
through a hose) under a large can with a lighted candle present. I
guess it was just magic that blew the can 50' up in the air?

Nice camera Trick! Every one here knows that saw dust suspended in the air
will not ignite. It has been discussed time and time and time again. ;~)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 23, 12:38*pm, "Leon" wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Nice camera Trick! *Every one here knows that saw dust suspended in the air
will not ignite. *It has been discussed time and time and time again. *;~)

Damn, Leon... you must give your bait recipe...
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Video of sawdust-fueled cannon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVLNoYkuC4s&NR=1

Nice camera Trick! Every one here knows that saw dust suspended in the air
will not ignite. It has been discussed time and time and time again. ;~)

Yuppers - and notice the lack of a grounding cable/stake.

Wonder if you could bring down one o' them black helicopters with a rig
like that?

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 23, 2:25*pm, Morris Dovey wrote:
Leon wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
om...
Video of sawdust-fueled cannon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVLNoYkuC4s&NR=1

Nice camera Trick! *Every one here knows that saw dust suspended in the air
will not ignite. *It has been discussed time and time and time again. *;~)

Yuppers - and notice the lack of a grounding cable/stake.

Wonder if you could bring down one o' them black helicopters with a rig
like that?

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USAhttp://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

Setting off one of these under the wash of a chopper? Black or
otherwise?
Talk about blow-back!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"borealbushman" wrote in message
Interesting that "Every one here knows that sawdust ..."

Every year when I taught Shop I'd gather my students out back in the
compound and show them what happens when sawdust is puffed up (air
through a hose) under a large can with a lighted candle present. I
guess it was just magic that blew the can 50' up in the air?

Sorry, but Leon's right. To prove it, the whole contraption is metal, it's
clearly touching the ground, so it's obviously grounded. Therefore it's
*impossible* to ignite anything with it.

nice post-production work, it almost looks real.

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe wrote:

Every year when I taught Shop I'd gather my students out back in the
compound and show them what happens when sawdust is puffed up (air
through a hose) under a large can with a lighted candle present. I
guess it was just magic that blew the can 50' up in the air?

Sorry, but Leon's right. To prove it, the whole contraption is
metal, it's clearly touching the ground, so it's obviously grounded.
Therefore it's *impossible* to ignite anything with it.

nice post-production work, it almost looks real.

Dust is dangerous. It is so dangerous, that the government even studies
vacuum cleaners!

"This appendix has been prepared to give some guidance on the selection and
use of vacuum cleaners for the removal and collection of [dust]. It may also
be considered as outline guidance for other low combustibility solids. It
.... gives guidance on the features commonly available on domestic,
commercial and industrial vacuum cleaners, and the effect that these may
have on selection."

http://www.hse.gov.uk/food/dustexplosionapp1.htm

Be careful, or you'll end up with a Hoover Mover.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
Leon wrote:

Nice camera Trick! Every one here knows that saw dust suspended in the
air will not ignite. It has been discussed time and time and time again.
;~)

Yuppers - and notice the lack of a grounding cable/stake.

Wonder if you could bring down one o' them black helicopters with a rig
like that?

Hummmmmm, something else for the government to do a study on and spend 4.6
brazillion.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Feb 23, 2:25 pm, Morris Dovey wrote:
Setting off one of these under the wash of a chopper? Black or
otherwise?
Talk about blow-back!

This thing would obviously be illegal in California, probably causes cancer
in lab rats.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"borealbushman" wrote in message
Interesting that "Every one here knows that sawdust ..."

Every year when I taught Shop I'd gather my students out back in the
compound and show them what happens when sawdust is puffed up (air
through a hose) under a large can with a lighted candle present. I
guess it was just magic that blew the can 50' up in the air?

BAH! If you do a Google search on this news group you will find that there
are numerous individual posters that have never witnessed this happening or
know any one that this has happened to. Therefore it is imposable for it to
happen until it does happen to them or some one that they know personally,
and then it would only be considered a "freak accident" and freak accidents
simply do not happen to some individuals because they know that they are
being plenty careful. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Feb 23, 2:25 pm, Morris Dovey wrote:
Setting off one of these under the wash of a chopper? Black or
otherwise?
Talk about blow-back!

This thing would obviously be illegal in California, probably causes cancer
in lab rats.

Only Canadian Rats.....
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 24, 8:44*am, "Leon" wrote:

BAH! *If you do a Google search on this news group you will find that there
are numerous individual posters that have never witnessed this happening or
know any one that this has happened to. *Therefore it is imposable for it to
happen until it does happen to them or some one that they know personally,
and then it would only be considered a "freak accident" and freak accidents
simply do not happen to some individuals because they know that they are
being plenty careful. *;~)

Well said, Leon. All too true.

Anyone that has ever worked, lived, or been around grain silos know
for sure that there is no such thing as as dust ignition. Uh - huh.

Besides, when I DAGS Images for "grain silo explosion", it only came
back with a few hundred over 16,000 hits. Not nearly enough proof for
the fine minds of this venue to prove that fine organic dust can
ignite.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 08:09:03 -0800 (PST), cast forth
these pearls of wisdom...:

On Feb 24, 8:44*am, "Leon" wrote:

[...]

yeah - but to be fair, there is a huge difference between a grain silo and
a woodworking shop. In the world of grain silos, the potential for an
explosion is very expected. It's not a freak accident. There is a lot
published on the mixture required for different materials to become
explosive, and grain silos can much more easily hit the right mixture for
grain. Or at least they used to. I'm sure they are more controlled now.

I'm not an advocate of relying upon freak accident excuses, but I'm
equally no advocate of ignoring the probabilities of things either.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote

yeah - but to be fair, there is a huge difference between a grain silo and
a woodworking shop. In the world of grain silos, the potential for an
explosion is very expected. It's not a freak accident. There is a lot
published on the mixture required for different materials to become
explosive, and grain silos can much more easily hit the right mixture for
grain. Or at least they used to. I'm sure they are more controlled now.

I remember reading a story in jr high about the explosive power of grains.
There was even some attempts to use them directly in an internal combustion
engine. They were trying to perfect a "carburator" for cornstarch. It
either did not work well or it worked too well. The resulting explosions
destroyed the engine block.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 24, 1:46*pm, dpb wrote:
Leon wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 08:09:03 -0800 (PST), cast forth
these pearls of wisdom...:

yeah - but to be fair, there is a huge difference between a grain silo and
a woodworking shop. *In the world of grain silos, the potential for an
explosion is very expected. *It's not a freak accident. *There is a lot
published on the mixture required for different materials to become
explosive, and grain silos can much more easily hit the right mixture for
grain. *Or at least they used to. *I'm sure they are more controlled now.

I'm not an advocate of relying upon *freak accident excuses, but I'm
equally no advocate of ignoring the probabilities of things either.

Actually I bet that if there were as many saw dust silos as there are grain
silos you might see more explosions.

More, but still quite rare. *Sawdust generally is not nearly as fine as
is grain dust, hence much harder to get into sufficient concentration to
make an explosive mixture and iirc the ignition point is higher as well.

--

Also, some of the silo explosions are dust as well as 'silo gas',
which I am guessing to be methane related?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Nice camera Trick! Every one here knows that saw dust suspended in
the air will not ignite. It has been discussed time and time and
time again. ;~)

Yuppers - and notice the lack of a grounding cable/stake.

Wonder if you could bring down one o' them black helicopters with a
rig like that?

Hummmmmm, something else for the government to do a study on and
spend 4.6 brazillion.

But if it's for the children... (national debt does not count).

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"borealbushman" wrote in message
Interesting that "Every one here knows that sawdust ..."

Every year when I taught Shop I'd gather my students out back in the
compound and show them what happens when sawdust is puffed up (air
through a hose) under a large can with a lighted candle present. I
guess it was just magic that blew the can 50' up in the air?

BAH! If you do a Google search on this news group you will find that
there are numerous individual posters that have never witnessed this
happening or know any one that this has happened to. Therefore it is
imposable for it to happen until it does happen to them or some one that
they know personally, and then it would only be considered a "freak
accident" and freak accidents simply do not happen to some individuals
because they know that they are being plenty careful. ;~)

Think of it as a self correcting condition. The shop needs a good cleaning,
pronto, when the air gets that thick with dust. A quick fire ball to kick
off the event is appropriate. Most the time, though, I keep the road flares
far away, and never but never put a lit one where the DC might snatch it.