Woodriver Lathe Chuck

Old February 3rd 09, 04:21 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Woodriver Lathe Chuck

Hi Group, Can anyone tell me who makes the Woodriver lathe chuck? I
need to contact them. I would like to know what the threads are on
their adapters because I've acquired a three jaw chuck and need to
convert it. Thanks, Jim

Old February 3rd 09, 05:00 PM posted to rec.woodworking

--

They might be the Woodcraft house brand. The woodcraft site has a
bunch of "Woodriver" brand items, so you might start there. They might

Failing that, you can check the woodturning newsgroup.

-Nathan
Old February 3rd 09, 07:08 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 09:21:48 -0600, James wrote:

Hi Group, Can anyone tell me who makes the Woodriver lathe chuck? I need
to contact them. I would like to know what the threads are on their
adapters because I've acquired a three jaw chuck and need to convert it.
Thanks, Jim

While I've never used one, the horror stories I've heard about 3 jaw
chucks make me wonder why you want one. Is there some specific use for
which a 3 jaw chuck is better than a 4 jaw?

If not, I'd suggest just getting the Wood River chuck. I've got one and
it works fine. The only limitation is that there aren't many different
jaw sets for it. It comes with #2. AFAIK, a #1, a #3, and a small Cole
jaw set with 8" capacity are it.

--
It's turtles, all the way down

Old February 4th 09, 04:51 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Ok -

I have both wood and metal lathes. Metal Mill etc.
Both lathes have 3 & 4 jaw. The wood also has a nice wood chuck
that is a 4 step jaw ... type.

3 jaw is a fast self centering chuck. A universal concept.

A 4 jaw can be magic! You don't have a true cylinder to chuck ?!
A 4 jaw can hold lots of stuff and even hold it to the an offset
because of need instead of kicking the taillstock sideways.

So a 4 can hold odd shape - and have jaws at unique positions.
In fact one can use only 3 jaws in the 4 having one so far from
the wood it can't get there.

Depends on the need -

Martin

#3, and a small Cole jaw set with 8" capacity are it.

I did e-mail Woodcrafters and the adapter is a 33mm X 3.5 pitch thread.
I'm having a machinist made me an adapter that is 3/4"x16tpi (may lathe
spindle) to 1"x12tpi( the chuck) which was cheaper in the long run. I
will be using it to bore holes and turn small wood parts. The price was
right is why I got it. Jim

lathe chuck geo Woodturning 22 February 1st 06 10:14 PM
Drill Chuck / Lathe Chuck - Drill Press Question [email protected] Metalworking 2 April 29th 05 02:07 AM
using a four jaw chuck on a lathe stone Metalworking 25 April 21st 05 04:35 PM
Lathe chuck problem Roger Hull Metalworking 6 May 20th 04 10:06 PM
Two Jaw Lathe Chuck???? MP Toolman Metalworking 4 January 2nd 04 01:11 PM