Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Legacy Ornamental Mill and 80/20 Systems

Like many of you, I've been lusting after the Legacy Ornamental Mill.
As a hobbyist, I don't do enough routing or turning to justufy buying
even their cheapest system. But it's clearly capable of some truly
amazing work.

The idea of building a similar system's also intriguing (hey, isn't
designing jigs part o the fun of woodworking?). But I'm amazed that,
despite lengthy Web searches on people who've built their own mills,
that almost nobody's mentioned the 80/20 "industrial erector set"
system (http://www.8020.net/)-- especially since its components are
extremely similar to those of the Legacy Mill's.

Has anyone ever tried to build a Legacy-like mill with 80/20 parts?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"BrianSiano" wrote in message
Like many of you, I've been lusting after the Legacy Ornamental Mill.
As a hobbyist, I don't do enough routing or turning to justufy buying
even their cheapest system. But it's clearly capable of some truly
amazing work.

The idea of building a similar system's also intriguing (hey, isn't
designing jigs part o the fun of woodworking?). But I'm amazed that,
despite lengthy Web searches on people who've built their own mills,
that almost nobody's mentioned the 80/20 "industrial erector set"
system (http://www.8020.net/)-- especially since its components are
extremely similar to those of the Legacy Mill's.

Has anyone ever tried to build a Legacy-like mill with 80/20 parts?

I really don't recall any one wanting, much less lusting aver the Legacy
Mill. So why don't you offer some bread with your spam?

Posted to rec.woodworking

I see these mills for sale on craigs list all the time. Try the Craigs
List Reader Pro by CraigsPal. There is a free version and it lets you
search across the world of craigs lists. I selected the entire united
states, searched on Legacy under Tools and found these three listings.

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/tls/1001739578.html
http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/tls/998831961.html
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/tls/996255167.html

On Jan 23, 9:18*am, BrianSiano wrote:
Like many of you, I've been lusting after the Legacy Ornamental Mill.
As a hobbyist, I don't do enough routing or turning to justufy buying
even their cheapest system. But it's clearly capable of some truly
amazing work.

The idea of building a similar system's also intriguing (hey, isn't
designing jigs part o the fun of woodworking?). But I'm amazed that,
despite lengthy Web searches on people who've built their own mills,
that almost nobody's mentioned the 80/20 "industrial erector set"
system (http://www.8020.net/)--especially since its components are
extremely similar to those of the Legacy Mill's.

Has anyone ever tried to build a Legacy-like mill with 80/20 parts?

Posted to rec.woodworking

BrianSiano wrote:

The idea of building a similar system's also intriguing (hey, isn't
designing jigs part o the fun of woodworking?). But I'm amazed that,
despite lengthy Web searches on people who've built their own mills,
that almost nobody's mentioned the 80/20 "industrial erector set"
system (http://www.8020.net/)-- especially since its components are
extremely similar to those of the Legacy Mill's.

There's at least one good reason. One of the desirable characteristics
for such a device is rigidity - and the designs I've seen that use the
80/20 extrusions have all had the common characteristic of "floppyness".

My next door neighbor has a CNC plasma cutter built of the stuff and,
although fun to watch, it's a wobbly disaster.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 23, 12:58*pm, Morris Dovey wrote:
BrianSiano wrote:
The idea of building a similar system's also intriguing (hey, isn't
designing jigs part o the fun of woodworking?). But I'm amazed that,
despite lengthy Web searches on people who've built their own mills,
that almost nobody's mentioned the 80/20 "industrial erector set"
system (http://www.8020.net/)--especially since its components are
extremely similar to those of the Legacy Mill's.

There's at least one good reason. One of the desirable characteristics
for such a device is rigidity - and the designs I've seen that use the
80/20 extrusions have all had the common characteristic of "floppyness".

My next door neighbor has a CNC plasma cutter built of the stuff and,
although fun to watch, it's a wobbly disaster.

Thanks-- that goes right to one of my concerns, and it pretty much
takes care of the rest of the question. The 80/20 system certainly
looks good, and it could probably be use to make some nice jigs and
stuff. But if it's not as rigid as it should be, then it'd be worth it
to buy or rent time on a Legacy mill.

Posted to rec.woodworking

80/20 publishes the engineering data for their extrusions.

If something made of it, it is because it wasn't actually designed. But,
just put together.

I would have no hesitation regarding the strength rigidity about using it,
if I were designing/building a router lathe/mill.

Now the cost factor could easily dissuade me.