Is it possible to reverse the rotation of a radial saw motor?

Old January 15th 09, 01:13 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Is it possible to reverse the rotation of a radial saw motor?

Just wondering whether it could be done.
Old January 15th 09, 02:39 AM posted to rec.woodworking

If it is 3 phase, swap two of the power wires.

Otherwise the motor might have cw and ccw shades and
it is a mater of re-wiring. Takes specs of that motor
and knowledge.

Martin

Old January 15th 09, 03:44 AM posted to rec.woodworking

When I got my Delta Band saw - it came from a good dealer in
a state. The manager was at a conference and the guys shipped
a bandsaw and a motor. The motor had sawdust on it and wasn't
in a new box. Hum - stripped it off something. Looks new.

I installed it and the saw ran backwards. Just like a lathe....
I swapped the wires as mentioned - inside it was marked - and
then the saw cut wood. I then converted it to 14".

So wood working motors as others reverse.

Martin

-MIKE- wrote:
wrote:
Just wondering whether it could be done.

I've always wondered the same thing.

Old January 15th 09, 04:23 AM posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
wrote:
Just wondering whether it could be done.

I've always wondered the same thing.

Some do, some don't - and some are unpredictable. A good friend has a
nice radial arm saw from the 60's -can't remember the manufacture
(deWalt, perhaps?)r but it's hammertone green - and it will
occaisionally start backwards - but worse yet, if it jams it WILL
reverse. It will throw sticks with a veangeance given half a
chance!!!!!
Old January 15th 09, 01:07 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 15, 7:06*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
wrote:
Just wondering whether it could be done.

I've always wondered the same thing.

Strange, I've spent my life NOT wondering *

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

I find that question often interrupts dreams of a sexual nature.
It is just when the blond swedish twins start unbuttoning their tops
that
the question about motor reversal rears its ugly little head.
Old January 15th 09, 02:31 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Don't believe so.

It is an AC motor and will rotate with the field.

If it was three phase it could be done.

Why??

Old January 15th 09, 02:32 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
Just wondering whether it could be done.

Yes, Turn the motor and blade unit 180 degrees so that the blade is located
on the opposite side.