Mike in Mystic

Default frozen glue

The short time I spent in the garage tonight has led me to several posts
(see previous two posted just previously).

As I stated in one of those posts, the garage/shop was about 22 degrees F
when I went out there before turning on the heat. Needless to say, I found
that the glue was frozen just about solid. I checked about 5 bottles, from
half-empty quarts, full quarts, and even a full gallon bottle. These were
either original titebond, titebond II or titebond II extend.

I know the label says that if the glue is frozen it won't affect it's
ability to work, but how long does it take to thaw it out? I got the shop
up to about 70 degrees and put a few of the bottles of glue about 1-2 feet
from the 80,000 BTU propane heater, which was on full blast. I was out
there about 3 hours and none of the bottles seemed to thaw out at all.

I hope I haven't ruined a lot of money's worth of glue (I have probably 5-10
more bottles of it).

Mike

rj

Try putting the glue containers in a bucket of warm water. Check it over
before using, I've had it come out like cottage cheese after freezing,
sometimes no problems at all.
RJ
"Mike in Mystic" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Edwin Pawlowski

Mike in Mystic wrote:

As I stated in one of those posts, the garage/shop was about 22
degrees F when I went out there before turning on the heat. Needless
to say, I found that the glue was frozen just about solid. I checked
about 5 bottles, from half-empty quarts, full quarts, and even a full
gallon bottle. These were either original titebond, titebond II or
titebond II extend.
Mike

Your next project should be a little carry tray to take the glue and other
freezables back to the house when you are done for the day.

I'm not attempting to heat my shop this weekend.

--
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Bob G

As I stated in one of those posts, the garage/shop was about 22 degrees F
when I went out there before turning on the heat. Needless to say, I

found
that the glue was frozen just about solid.

=================================
It has happened to me many times...I now have a small box that I keep my
glue in and that box is heated by a 7 1/2 watt light bulb.... Started using
this method about 3-4 years ago.... END of PROBLEM

I have a Hot tub in the back yard that I keep at 101 degrees 24/7 and
believe it or not I have tossed a bottle of frozen glue in the hot tub and
it was thawed out completely in a rather short period of time....

Bob Griffiths

Mike in Mystic

hmmmm. In that case, I hope it has stayed frozen the last 2 weeks (which
seems pretty likely, considering what the temps have been here in CT
lately).

I'll definitely follow up with a report of how I fair.

I think I have a few cans of waterbased poly and other waterbased finishes
that I'm going to have to toss out. Great.

Mike

m...

Mike in Mystic wrote:

[...]

B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 04:38:27 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

Your next project should be a little carry tray to take the glue and other
freezables back to the house when you are done for the day.

Two words.

Milk Crate. G

When I was a floor guy, we'd have to bring the freezeables in from the
van every night, or risk buying new glues, coatings, and additives for
every job.

Barry
Charlie Self

Mike in Mystic asks:

I know the label says that if the glue is frozen it won't affect it's
ability to work, but how long does it take to thaw it out? I got the shop
up to about 70 degrees and put a few of the bottles of glue about 1-2 feet
from the 80,000 BTU propane heater, which was on full blast. I was out
there about 3 hours and none of the bottles seemed to thaw out at all.

I hope I haven't ruined a lot of money's worth of glue (I have probably 5-10
more bottles of it).

Recommendaiton: most glues will take 3-4-5-6 freeze cycles before losing
strength, so I suggest you make up a glue bottle bucket and cart that stuff
twixt a heated spot and your shop.

Now, as to thawing, bring out a kettle of fairly hot water and sit the glue
bottles in that. If it's really cold, replenish the hot water (just don't get
it hot enough to melt the plastic bottles). If you ask your wife, she'll tell
you that's how she thaws out frozen goodies so she can use them almost
immediately, without cranking up the microwave.

Fairly hot: probably try for a max of 180 or so degrees. You might even want to
get one of the little immersion heaters that some people use for instant coffee
and tea water. Don't leave those things on for more than about 10 minutes,
though.

Charlie Self
"Character is much easier kept than recovered." Thomas Paine

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html
Mike

Mike:

If you have any extra room in your shop, find an old discarded refrigerator
or upright freezer and keep a small wattage light bulb burning in it. These
are great for storing any freezables in. I got tired of carrying my stuff
back into the house all the time.

Phisherman

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 03:46:24 GMT, "Mike in Mystic"
wrote:

[...]

Bring them into the house. If the consistency has changed, pitch it.
I try not to buy more glue than I can use in 6-12 months. It does
have a shelf life.

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Bay Area Dave wrote:
Mike, I believe their tech support said the glue was useful for 5 freeze
cycles, so once you DO get it thawed out, give it a try and let us know
how it works.

The stuff I have says, _on_the_packaging_, that it's good for 5 freeze-thaw
cycles. and that freezing is 'not recommended'. grin

dave

Mike in Mystic wrote:

[...]

Mike in Mystic

Default frozen glue: Update

Well, I had varying results in bringing my glue "back to life".

I had a gallon container about 80% full of Titebond II Extend. When I found
it, I could see the top surface of the glue resembled a foam. The bottle
wasn't frozen solid, but it was very thick and didn't flow. After bringing
it into the house for about 2 days, I was able to agitate the bottle and the
glue appears to be back to it's normal consistency and properties. I put a
small amount on a piece of cardboard and it set up and dried normally (this
was done in the house as well).

I had similar results with a quart bottle of titebond II regular wood glue.
It was completely full and hadn't ever been opened. It wasn't even as solid
as the TB II Extend, above, and after only about an hour in the house it was
fine.

Two other bottles of glue didn't fair so well. These were a quart bottle
with only about 20% of the glue in it of Titebond II regular glue. This,
even after more than a week in the house, is still fairly thick and doesn't
flow as expected. Another smaller amount of glue I had in one of those
Glue-Bot glue bottles. The glue in this container is still solid and I
don't think I'll ever get it out.

I think these results aren't too surprising - the larger volumes of glue in
mostly full containers faired best. At any rate, I'm going to be
constructing a simple shelving unit for my cellar to keep my finishing
products and glues, at least during the cold months.

Mike

[...]

If glue is stronger than the wood, do you need to use screws when attaching legs to a table? YJJim Woodworking 3 December 18th 03 04:29 PM
Popping glue lines T. Woodworking 0 October 27th 03 06:39 AM
Glue vs. No Glue Nehmo Sergheyev Woodworking 11 September 28th 03 01:59 AM
interesting glue phenomenon Charlie Spitzer Woodworking 0 September 15th 03 11:19 PM
Gorilla Glue Brad Woodworking 16 July 17th 03 02:48 AM