Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Little OT but involves wood and windows

Hello,

Not a full woodworking question but this group has a lot of good ideas

I am replacing my 20 year old wooden windows with new construction windows.
Basically the entire existing window comes out, new window goes in. My
issue is that some of the rough openings may need to be about a 1/8 inch
bigger on either side. 1/4 total increase. I have used a belt sander and 60
grit paper for the first one. Took just a few minutes to do. About 3 hours
to clean up afterwards. About two days of silence from my wife after that.

Anyone have any ideas how I can reduce the cleanup time? I am OK with the
time for the job and the silence part after that.

2 x 6 studs if that matters
to get a smaller window I would have to get custom made or one that is 4"
thinner.

Larry C

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 9, 1:47*pm, "Larry C" wrote:
Hello,

Not a full woodworking question but this group has a lot of good ideas

I am replacing my 20 year old wooden windows with new construction windows.
Basically the entire existing window comes out, new window goes in. *My
issue is that some of the rough openings may need to be about a 1/8 inch
bigger on either side. 1/4 total increase. *I have used a belt sander and 60
grit paper for the first one. *Took just a few minutes to do. *About 3 hours
to clean up afterwards. About two days of silence from my wife after that..

Anyone have any ideas how I can reduce the cleanup time? *I am OK with the
time for the job and the silence part after that.

2 x 6 studs if that matters
to get a smaller window I would have to get custom made or one that is 4"
thinner.

Larry C

Tape up some plastic sheeting over the opening and when you're done
widening it, dump the sheeting out the window and then install the new
window?

-Nathan
Posted to rec.woodworking

"N Hurst" wrote in message
On Oct 9, 1:47 pm, "Larry C" wrote:
[...]

Thanks Nathan

That makes total sense. I feel like a bit if an idiot for not thinking that.
I was thinking along the lines of a power hand planer. Less dust, more
filings.

Unfortunately if I use the plastic method I will not have to buy a power
hand planer.

Larry C

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Larry C wrote:
That makes total sense. I feel like a bit if an idiot for not thinking
that. I was thinking along the lines of a power hand planer. Less dust,
more filings.

Unfortunately if I use the plastic method I will not have to buy a power
hand planer.

I'd probably use a Skilsaw set at the depth to remove; make several
passes across the length then split off between the cuts. Easy enough
to do the cut at the top/bottom corners w/ handsaw. A drawknife would
be ideal for the hacking, probably although a wide chisel would do of
course.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry C" wrote in message
[...]

Seems the simplest solution would be to do the same thing but work from the
inside of the house with a fan at your back set on Hi.
Or Use a Skil saw to make many relief cuts to the depth you want and then
chisel out the rest.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry C" wrote:

My issue is that some of the rough openings may need to be about a
1/8 inch bigger on either side. 1/4 total increase.

Sounds like it is time for a hand held power planer.

BTW, hang plastic sheeting to direct chipd outside.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 14:31:45 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

"Larry C" wrote in message
[...]

Sawzall is your friend for this job. Installers around here use them.
You can just cut in as far as you need to and split out with a wide
chisel (can use a skill saw too, but a "nail eater" blade on the
sawzall isn't fussy WHAT gets in the way.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry C wrote:

That makes total sense. I feel like a bit if an idiot for not thinking
that. I was thinking along the lines of a power hand planer. Less dust,
more filings.

The plastic sheeting is an excellent idea, and the amount of dust might
be substantially reduced if you purchased a top-o-the-line hand planer -
just watch out for mails. A wand-type metal detector might be a wise
investment. Don't forget safety equipment... ;-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry C wrote:
Hello,

Not a full woodworking question but this group has a lot of good ideas

I am replacing my 20 year old wooden windows with new construction
windows. Basically the entire existing window comes out, new window goes
in. My issue is that some of the rough openings may need to be about a
1/8 inch bigger on either side. 1/4 total increase. I have used a belt
sander and 60 grit paper for the first one. Took just a few minutes to
do. About 3 hours to clean up afterwards. About two days of silence
from my wife after that.

Anyone have any ideas how I can reduce the cleanup time? I am OK with
the time for the job and the silence part after that.

2 x 6 studs if that matters
to get a smaller window I would have to get custom made or one that is
4" thinner.

Larry C

1/8" on each side? Have you tried a 3 lb. mini sledge?

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry C wrote:
"N Hurst" wrote in message
On Oct 9, 1:47 pm, "Larry C" wrote:
[...]

While a power planer will do much of the job, it doesn't get into
corners very well.

If you've never used one though, plan on practicing before you use it
in anger.--it's very, very easy to turn a straight edge into one with
a bow.

A router with a suitable jig might be a better bet. The Bosch Colt
with the offset base will get very close to a corner.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry C" wrote in message

That makes total sense. I feel like a bit if an idiot for not thinking
that. I was thinking along the lines of a power hand planer. Less dust,
more filings.

Unfortunately if I use the plastic method I will not have to buy a power
hand planer.

What in the hell is wrong with you man? You dare speak like this in public?
Listen here mister, and listen real damned good - plastic don't have a
damned thing to do with needing the "right" tool for the job. Sheese...
Gotta tell some people everything.

OK - so here's the scoop - do the plastic thing to keep the mess down *and*
go buy the new power planer. For Pete's sake man - just don't tell the
missus that you didn't need the power planer because the plastic was some
sort of miracle cure. Just be sure you tell her how smart is was to hang
that plastic to contain the mess that the new power planer (which halved the
work time, plus added accuracy) created.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

While a power planer will do much of the job, it doesn't get into
corners very well.

Yeahbut, neither will a router. He doesn't have a corner problem though.
He has a problem with the opening being too narrow. A power plane will take
care of that nicely.

If you've never used one though, plan on practicing before you use it
in anger.--it's very, very easy to turn a straight edge into one with
a bow.

A router with a suitable jig might be a better bet. The Bosch Colt
with the offset base will get very close to a corner.

Unless I'm missing something, there are no corner issues here, and a router
would not be the better choice.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 9, 11:00*pm, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
"Larry C" wrote in message

[...]

Well, a power planer would be a good choice anyway because wood chunks
aren't as big a PITA to clean up as sawdust is.

Oh man you should have seen the look my mom gave my dad when we
waltzed in from the garage covered in MDF dust after making some
speaker cabinets. That stuff got EVERYWHERE in her kitchen. It didn't
help that we had guests coming over and it was nearly dinnertime,
either.

So yeah, for the health of your family, get the planer and a metal
detector, because you don't want to put your eye out with blade
chunks. And if it has a dust port, you might look into the Festool
dust collection system... don't need to clean up what never falls
down, right?

-Nathan

Wood Windows & Doors Pat Woodworking 2 October 15th 07 05:34 AM
wood rot around windows gorf Home Repair 5 August 21st 06 02:03 AM
Leaking wood windows ... Please help ... Dipan Patel Home Repair 1 August 29th 04 06:50 PM
Leaking wood windows ... Please help ... Dipan Patel Home Repair 1 August 29th 04 05:03 PM
Slightly OT (joke, involves tools) Chris Richmond - MD6-FDC ~ Woodworking 1 April 24th 04 01:26 AM