Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Corner Cabinet Rear Leg

I've been a lurker for years and enjoy reading the posts on this
newsgroup.

I'm building a corner cabinet that has a face frame and plywood sides.
I'm having a problem figuring out how to join the two plywood sides at
the back corner. I can't picture how to clamp the sides together since
they meet at a 90 degree angle.

The cabinet will have shelves so I want the inside of the cabinet to
be as clean as possible.

Anyone have an idea?

Bob
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bob" wrote
I've been a lurker for years and enjoy reading the posts on this
newsgroup.

I'm building a corner cabinet that has a face frame and plywood sides.
I'm having a problem figuring out how to join the two plywood sides at
the back corner. I can't picture how to clamp the sides together since
they meet at a 90 degree angle.

The cabinet will have shelves so I want the inside of the cabinet to
be as clean as possible.

Anyone have an idea?

Take a look at the below, see if helps, or gives you any ideas ...let me
know here if I can answer any questions:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects15.htm

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bob" wrote:

I'm building a corner cabinet that has a face frame and plywood
sides.
I'm having a problem figuring out how to join the two plywood sides
at
the back corner. I can't picture how to clamp the sides together
since
they meet at a 90 degree angle.

The cabinet will have shelves so I want the inside of the cabinet to
be as clean as possible.

A combination of cabinet and boat building if you want a sharp corner.

If truncated corners are acceptable, then Swing's approach.

This assumes the sides are at least 1/2 ply. Could be 3/8 but more
trouble cutting smaller rabbets)

Cut a 1/4 rabbet in each ply piece.

Interlock rabbets together to insure a straight edge, then clamp short
blocks on each end along with a diagonal braces at each end, clamped
in place to insure 90 degree corner.

Get some 4" wide, fiberglass tape and some epoxy.

Flip unit into position outside corner up, to work on outside corner,
then cut 3-4 pieces of tape about 4" long and epoxy them equally
spaced on outside corner.

When cured, remove clamps that are in the way and epoxy a full length
piece of fiberglass tape to secure the entire length of corner.

When cured, flip over so inside corner is up, then glass the entire
inside corner with another piece of fiberglass tape.

When cured, sand lightly to remove any drips.

SFWIW, have built battery boxes for a boat that hold 300 lbs of
batteries with no problems using this approach.

Have fun.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob wrote:
I've been a lurker for years and enjoy reading the posts on this
newsgroup.

I'm building a corner cabinet that has a face frame and plywood sides.
I'm having a problem figuring out how to join the two plywood sides at
the back corner. I can't picture how to clamp the sides together since
they meet at a 90 degree angle.

Assuming that the outside sides won't show and that they are at least 1/2"
thick...

1. Butt the edge of one piece against the side of the other

2. Hold in place with pipe clamps

3. Drill through the face of one side into the edge of the other and glue
in 1/4 - 3/8 dowels every 6" or so.

4. Cut off any protrusion of the dowels after glue dries

Note that I didn't suggest you should take great care in assuring that the
pieces are at 90 degrees to each other. They *should* be in the ballpark
but absolute precision isn't really necessary because it is very unlikely
that the two walls where the cabinet will go are square. To fix that wall
irregularity, just set the cabinet in place as well as it will go (before
making the face frame) and adjust the face frame width as necessary.

Another alternative is to put the cabinet where it is to go before making
the face frame and spring the cabinet sides in/out as necessary by
increasing/decreasing the width of the face frame.

Either way, you may have to spile the FF edges to the wall.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

On Oct 8, 4:56 pm, Bob wrote:
I've been a lurker for years and enjoy reading the posts on this
newsgroup.

I'm building a corner cabinet that has a face frame and plywood sides.
I'm having a problem figuring out how to join the two plywood sides at
the back corner. I can't picture how to clamp the sides together since
they meet at a 90 degree angle.

The cabinet will have shelves so I want the inside of the cabinet to
be as clean as possible.

Anyone have an idea?

Bob

I've posted a couple of pictures of how I clamped up my corner
cabinet's carcase. tomeshew.spaces.live.com They're in the new
"jigs and fixtures" album. Thanks again to RayV. HTH
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 00:56:56 +0100, Bob wrote
(in article
):

I've been a lurker for years and enjoy reading the posts on this
newsgroup.

I'm building a corner cabinet that has a face frame and plywood sides.
I'm having a problem figuring out how to join the two plywood sides at
the back corner. I can't picture how to clamp the sides together since
they meet at a 90 degree angle.

The cabinet will have shelves so I want the inside of the cabinet to
be as clean as possible.

Anyone have an idea?

Bob

Umm.. would a box / comb or even dovetail joint be feasible? Nice clean
interior corner and strong as they come...

If it's too long to do joinery, rabbett a length of angle iron into the
outside of the corner?

soffit over corner cabinet? none[_3_] Home Ownership 6 August 12th 07 09:28 AM
Giganto-TV cabinet - File 1 of 1 - yEnc "Corner TV cabinet.JPG" 69236 bytes (1/1) Steve Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 April 1st 07 03:37 AM
Small Corner Cabinet Phred Woodworking 2 January 6th 07 03:42 AM
CORNER CABINET J T Woodworking 2 January 6th 06 04:41 PM
Corner Cabinet Construction Mike Pio Woodworking 6 September 29th 05 12:57 AM