john

Default ques about NiCd vs NiMh battery charging

will the NiCd charger work on NiMh replacement batteries?
tia
john
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN ²ºº

"john" jcfreeATcenturytelDOTnet wrote in message
will the NiCd charger work on NiMh replacement batteries?
tia
john

If it is a newer style Class 2 or similar Hi-capacity charger yes in most
cases (you do not specify Battery or charger make or models) if it is an
older standard Ni-Cd only charger no in most cases (it will probably not
charge the battery fully & if the charger has built in diagnostics of some
description it may misread the battery condition, also possible damage to
the ocr, reset, transformer or circuit board or other gadgets on some
chargers may occur, auto shut off may be triggered prematurely or not at
all........

What make & models are you talking about??

--
© Jon Down ®

Charlie Self

john writes:

will the NiCd charger work on NiMh replacement batteries?

For a definitive answer, "It depends." On the batteries and the charger, but
mostly on the charger. My AA NiMH charger works jsut fine with NiCads. I'd had
to promise yours would: check with the manufacturer of one or the other.

Charlie Self
"All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is
sure."
Mark Twain
http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html
Lazarus Long

No. The two technologies have differing charge requirements.

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 09:37:13 -0500, john jcfreeATcenturytelDOTnet
wrote:

will the NiCd charger work on NiMh replacement batteries?
tia
john

Jeffo

Mine will, Makita, handles all their batteries up to and including 18v. I
can't say in your case, I missed the part where you say what brand you're
referring too.=)

HTH,
Jeffo

"john" jcfreeATcenturytelDOTnet wrote in message
will the NiCd charger work on NiMh replacement batteries?
tia
john

Steve Knight

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 09:17:30 -0600, Lazarus Long
wrote:

No. The two technologies have differing charge requirements.

well somewhat. nicads can be charged with a higher amp then NiMh can. my rc car
charger says only 3 amps for NiMh and up to 5 for nicads because of heat.
they don't really charge any differently they just have a higher capacity. so
if a timer is used then they would not charge enough if a peak charger or temp
is used they should work.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN ²ºº

"Jeffo" wrote in message
Mine will, Makita, handles all their batteries up to and including 18v. I
can't say in your case, I missed the part where you say what brand you're
referring too.=)

HTH,
Jeffo

In that case you already have a hi-capacity charger which will do both, the
older ones that initially came with the older NiCd kits will not effectively
charge NiMh batteries.

--
© Jon Down ®
My eBay items currently listed:

Andy Dingley

wrote:

will the NiCd charger work on NiMh replacement batteries?

Yes.

Badly.

Batteries are more expensive than chargers. Look after them. Some
chargers are switchable, some autoswitch (generally only for
"intelligent" batteries though). If it's a NiCd-only charger though,
it's something you can do to "get the job finished", but you'll reduce
battery life by making a habit of it.

If you do do it, disconnect the battery as soon as its charged or
warm.

Steve Knight

I have 2 chargers, both charge fairly fast like 45 min. One is
automatic & the other has a start button & a reset button.
Seems like replacement NiCd are getting extinct but the NiMh stuff
(from Mak) gives me sticker shock.....and I didn't want to spring for
the NiMh & then have to buy another charger....it's a damn conspiricy
I tell you-oh, never mind, I'm getting to old for this hi tech ****
anyway!

the thing is you will get more charges from a nicad pack. the only thing Nimh
gives you is a higher capacity you may get a longer run time.
it's give and take.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes