Elijah

Default Larkin oak claw feet table with veneer top?

Hiya
just bought a 48" Larkin oak claw feet kitchen table with 3 leaves.
Turns out the top is veneer, while the base is oak. It looks like the
veneer is on top of cheap pine. Is it possible that this is the
original top? Seems strange to put a veneer top on a nice oak
pedestal, but on the underside of the top is the Larkin stamp.

Is it possible to replace the top with real oakaffordably?

Trying to decide whether or not to return this to the antique store
for my money back.

thanks
Elijah
Jeffo

"Elijah" wrote in message
Hiya
just bought a 48" Larkin oak claw feet kitchen table with 3 leaves.
Turns out the top is veneer, while the base is oak. It looks like the
veneer is on top of cheap pine. Is it possible that this is the
original top? Seems strange to put a veneer top on a nice oak
pedestal, but on the underside of the top is the Larkin stamp.

Is it possible to replace the top with real oakaffordably?

Trying to decide whether or not to return this to the antique store
for my money back.

thanks
Elijah

I'd say it's possible that the top is veneered, but that doesn't equal bad.
There is a lot of nice, quality veneered furniture. Typically, replacing the
top and loosing the stamp will likely hurt the value of the table. That
being said, I know more about the company than the furniture, it's value and
construction. Larkin was a mail-order soap company circa 1900. The idea was
to trade premiums received from the purchase of soap for furniture and other
household items. 1904 they commissioned Frank Lloyd Wright to design their
new office in Buffalo, NY. This building considered to be one of the most
significant pieces of American architecture. It's a shame that it was made
into a parking lot in about 1950, and still is the last time I checked. The
Larkin family is also connected to Elbert Hubbard, founder of the
Roycrofters, East Aurora, NY, about 20 miles Buffalo. Without them we
wouldn't be mail-ordering today - that's not likely, but the did help get
the idea going.

Does that help with your question? Maybe, maybe not. I'm thinking you bought
the table because you like it, investigated, and are somewhat disappointed,
tho hopefully not ripped off. To me, some of the enjoyment from an item like
that is the history behind it. Perhaps finding out more about it will help
you appreciate it in a different way.

cheers,
Jeffo

Elijah

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 01:51:45 -0500, "Jeffo"
wrote:

"Elijah" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks for the information, it helps to know some of the history.
Unfortunately we bought the table because we wanted a solid oak table
to withstand decades of batterings from children, pets and
mother-in-laws, not a veneer table which is going to look like some
crap the second our future children gains manual dexterity. And we
bought it thinking "The top looks like a bunch of hacks garbaged over
nice wood with sloppy layers of cheap finish... it'll just take some
careful sanding and stuff to make the thing look beautiful." So we're
disappointed that this is the best the table will ever look, and will
try to return it today.

Thanks,
Elijah

Jeffo

Snip

Thanks for the information, it helps to know some of the history.
Unfortunately we bought the table because we wanted a solid oak table
to withstand decades of batterings from children, pets and
mother-in-laws, not a veneer table which is going to look like some
crap the second our future children gains manual dexterity. And we
bought it thinking "The top looks like a bunch of hacks garbaged over
nice wood with sloppy layers of cheap finish... it'll just take some
careful sanding and stuff to make the thing look beautiful." So we're
disappointed that this is the best the table will ever look, and will
try to return it today.

Thanks,
Elijah

Good luck, doesn't sound like the best table for your needs. I can see why
you'd want to replace the top, under the circumstances, it might be
worthwhile to investigate further if you can't return it.

Jeffo

European Oak Veneer John Woodworking 0 January 18th 04 01:21 AM
New bandsaw saga PartII (long) Bruce Woodworking 0 December 30th 03 06:41 PM
Jet table saw table out of tolerance Bob Davis Woodworking 3 October 21st 03 05:54 PM
Building an extension table. Rich Woodworking 2 July 18th 03 12:11 AM