Default What can you with a lathe?

Silvan wrote:
Yeah, just don't say this too loud over on the woodturning newsgroup.
They'll start talking about how if it doesn't weigh twice as much as your
old Volkswagen, it's a piece of junk.

Some will, JOAT and I have never spoken up on that side of the
argument. Back to our powered apple corer thread. Ruth was pretty
specific about it being the turner not the lathe as well.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
Chris

Default What can you do with a lathe? Do more with a legacy

(Joe "Woody" Woodpecker) wrote in message ...
OK, I would like to see or even have an explanation on how you would
make a spindle that looks like a three wrap twisted rope, only none of
the twists are touching each other except where the rope connects to the
square ends. Now remember the center of the rope is hollow, no wood
there.

Or a pedestal base for a table which is 5" in diameter and has 12 flutes
on a 1" taper over 2'. Each flute is 1\2" deep. And if that is all
that is on it, can you make it in less than a half an hour?

Sure leaves a lot of free time to do other projects, instead of
"playing" on a project.

Why don't you call for a DVD? 1-800-279-4570. THIS IS NOT SPAM AS I
HAVE NO CONNECTION WITH THE COMPANY. I just know what is easy to use
for the novice.

Woody,

Haven't seen you here in a few months. It's be a wonderful few
months.

I think you not only miss the point, but you are misinformed also.

I have seen all of the items you mentioned made on a lathe - don't
know how they do it, but they do it. So the Legacy is not the ONLY
way to make these things.

Most of the people that make them can SELL them as ART (I know of some
who do), for much more than you could sell your robot made pieces for.
So the Legacy is not the only way to profitably make items (or
necessarily the MOST profitable way either).

I own a lathe and most of the projects I have done so far have little
or no usefulness (compared to my other woodworking projects - stools,
furniture, toys, etc). Yet I really enjoy working on the lathe - it
is almost theraputic. Don't think I would get the same enjoyment
using the legacy. Am I "playing?" Definitely! Would not have it any
other way.

Ask an artist if they could get a more realistic rendering of a
picture, in less time with paint-by-numbers rather than the
"old-fashioned" way of free-handing it with no formal plans and I
imagine that most would say "Yes." Ask them if they would consider
doing it that way and most would say "No."

Sounds like it is quite an impressive machine. But I couldn't let the
post go unanswered, lest anyone be discouraged from owning a lathe.
My lathe is definitely my "desert island" machine.

-Chris
Chris

ntiSpam (NoNameAtAll) wrote in message ...
Way back in middle school the lathe was one of my favorite tools in shop class.
I'd love to own one, but I'm having a difficult time convncing my wife that I
need it. We just made candle holders in shop class, and while I'm sure it's
great for things like table legs, lamps, and baseball bats I have to concede
that I really can't think of any practical uses for it since I don't have any
need to make any of those things. Actually making a homemade baseball bat would
be kind of neat but it's tough to justify buying a lathe just for that. If you
can help me convince my wife (and myself for that matter) of the usefulness of
a lathe I'll be eternally grateful.

Really haven't made anything very practical with my lathe. Probably
never will.

My other woodworking projects are similar to my work in that they are
large project which take a long time from start to finish, thus the
gratification is delayed (still enjoyed, but delayed). Also wood
costs some $$$.

With my lathe, I can take a scrap of wood from anywhere (drive around
after a windstorm) and in less than an hour create something very
satisfying. It also forever changes how you look at downed tree
limbs.

So if you used to enjoy it, definitely go out and get one. I can't
justify the price of my turning equiptment from what I have made, but
I also cannot put a price on the satisfaction I get from turning.
Tell THAT to SWMBO.

-Chris
Don

"Joe "Woody" Woodpecker" wrote
So how do you make a stair spindle that looks like rope which has been
untwisted and hollow in the center? Can you do that on a lathe?

BTW you can make a set of salad bowls, matching and exactly the same
size with so little measuring.

*****************************
You're problem is that you are comparing apples to oranges, Beetle to
Porsche.
Can the legacy route an ogee edge on an installed countertop?
A lathe ain't a legacy and a legacy ain't a hammer.
Time to move on.

Don

Default What can you do with a lathe? You can't make spindles very fast

"Joe "Woody" Woodpecker" wrote
Make a few samples of spindles that you can't buy at the local borg.
Show them you can make these for contractors on an as needed basis.
Make a book of samples and take them into the borg where they can show
the unique styles you can make to their contractors and customers. Let
the borg know you can make custom replacements of broken items. Contact
a home builder who may be interested in a special design. Build
furniture for a local consignment store. Build furniture for a local
interior designer.

BTW, A Legacy comes with a design pad that helps you design the shapes
you need.

How long did it take you to become proficient with the Legacy and which
model do you own?
I emailed them for a DVD and find the whole concept enlightening though
there is little chance I could ever afford one.

Bridger

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 03:39:09 GMT, "Don"
wrote:

[...]

I have a couple of 8' aluminum I beams. I have used them in router
jigs before. the idea of expanding on the legacy concept has some
appeal....
Bridger
Don

news
wrote:

[...]

Indeed.
I am in the process right now of fabricating, out of stock aluminum channel,
a device that will ride in both the t-slots on my table saw that will
support a small piece of wood in various positions over the rotating blade.
Sort of a modification of the idea of feeding wood into the blade on an
angle to create a wide cove cut. I want to be able to rotate the wood, at
varying angles, above the blade to create symetrical/radial patterns and
carve large bowls.
Woodys comparison of the Legacy to a Lathe is invalid though as they are two
different tools. And, you can buy a lathe for a few hundred bucks and the
Legacy is quite a bit more.

Dave Balderstone

In article , Don
wrote:

How long did it take you to become proficient with the Legacy and which
model do you own?

What makes you think he actually owns one?

djb

--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Don

"Dave Balderstone" wrote
Don wrote:
How long did it take you to become proficient with the Legacy and which
model do you own?

What makes you think he actually owns one?

I didn't think that.
That's why I asked.

Andrew Barss

Joe "Woody" Woodpecker wrote:

: A LATHE IS A WASTE OF MONEY AFTER YOU SEE THIS MACHINE.

Nonsense.

The legacy ornamental mill can do a lot of nice things,
and may be a sensible alternative to a lathe for
spindle turning.

But try making a bowl, a platter, a hollow form, etc.
on one. You can't.

Besides, turning on a althe is just plain fun.

-- Andy Barss
Silvan

Andrew Barss wrote:

Besides, turning on a althe is just plain fun.

It can get you laid too. We saw some kind of pillar candle holder thingies
at Target that made SWMBO go ooh and ahhh. I told her I could make one,
and she didn't believe me.

I made one, and it came out halfway decent, but far from perfect. I've only
been turning for a month after all.

She's been all over me for two hours now. Wearing her sexy underwear and
everything. It's really amazing. All these things I've made in the shop
over the years, and nothing has ever impressed her so much as this damn
candle holder.

Well, folks, you know what I'm going to be making tomorrow!

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Dan Valleskey

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 20:33:06 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss
wrote:

Joe "Woody" Woodpecker wrote:

: A LATHE IS A WASTE OF MONEY AFTER YOU SEE THIS MACHINE.

Nonsense.

The legacy ornamental mill can do a lot of nice things,
and may be a sensible alternative to a lathe for
spindle turning.

But try making a bowl, a platter, a hollow form, etc.
on one. You can't.

With the right attachment you can do a shallow bowl. Only small
undercuts allowed, I think.

Besides, turning on a althe is just plain fun.

yes- in spades. I have only dabbled in both, lathe wins for shear
enjoyment, hands down. I would never consider my lathe a WASTE OF
MONEY. The legacy I used- time will tell, so far, it is just a big
dust catcher.

-Dan V.

Bridger

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 22:01:03 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

Andrew Barss wrote:

Besides, turning on a althe is just plain fun.

It can get you laid too. We saw some kind of pillar candle holder thingies
at Target that made SWMBO go ooh and ahhh. I told her I could make one,
and she didn't believe me.

I made one, and it came out halfway decent, but far from perfect. I've only
been turning for a month after all.

She's been all over me for two hours now. Wearing her sexy underwear and
everything. It's really amazing. All these things I've made in the shop
over the years, and nothing has ever impressed her so much as this damn
candle holder.

Well, folks, you know what I'm going to be making tomorrow!

and just what are you doing sitting typing at your computer?

Bridger
Joe Woody Woodpecker

You can make a bowl or platter with a legacy. And if you desire you can
make a set of salad bowls all in one afternoon EXACTLY ALIKE.

The legacy makes it funner because you don't spend so much 'time'
playing. Your work comes from sketched plans which has the exact bit to
use. You have to guess which type of wood chisel to use and you will
worry about tear out everytime you make something.

The legacy is just funner to use and is easier to use so you can finish
the job.

Besides, if bowels and pens are all you want to make, you should get a
mini lathe. But why spend $400 on a mini lathe when a full size lathe
is $650 and you can make stair spindles. Of course why spend $650 on a
full size lathe when you can spend $1000 on a true milling machine and
do 10 times more.

--

Andrew=A0Barss wrote

Joe "Woody" Woodpecker wrote:

A LATHE IS A WASTE OF MONEY AFTER YOU SEE THIS MACHINE.

Nonsense.

The legacy ornamental mill can do a lot of nice
things, and may be a sensible alternative to a lathe
for spindle turning.

But try making a bowl, a platter, a hollow form,
etc. on one. You can't.

Besides, turning on a althe is just plain fun.
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0-- Andy Barss

--
Woody

Check out my Web Page at:

http://community-1.webtv.net/Woodwor...workerJoesInfo

Where you will find:

******** How My Shop Works ******** 5-21-03

* * * Build a $20 DC Separator Can Lid. 1-14-03
* * * DC Relay Box Building Plans. 1-14-03
* * * The Bad Air Your Breath Everyday.1-14-03
* * * What is a Real Woodworker? 2-8-03
* * * Murphy's Woodworking Definitions. 2-8-03
* * * Murphy's Woodworking Laws. 4-6-03
* * * What is the true meaning of life? 1-14-03
* * * Woodworker Shop Signs. 2-8-03

Joe Woody Woodpecker

Take her to a wood show where they have a legacy orminital mill and let
them show it to her. I'd bet if you bought one for her, you'd never get
to turn again. She'd use the legacy when you weren't home and be all
over you when you were just thanking you for buting it.

--

What can you do with a lathe? Do more with a legacy

Group: rec.woodworking Date: Sat, Jan 24, 2004, 10:01pm (MST+2) From:
(Silvan)
Andrew Barss wrote:

Besides, turning on a althe is just plain fun.

It can get you laid too. We saw some kind of pillar candle holder
thingies at Target that made SWMBO go ooh and ahhh. I told her I could
make one, and she didn't believe me.

I made one, and it came out halfway decent, but far from perfect. I've
only been turning for a month after all.

She's been all over me for two hours now. Wearing her sexy underwear and
everything. It's really amazing. All these things I've made in the shop
over the years, and nothing has ever impressed her so much as this damn
candle holder.

Well, folks, you know what I'm going to be making tomorrow!
--
Michael McIntyre ---- =A0 Silvan Linux
fanatic, and certified Geek; registered Linux user #243621
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

--
Woody

Check out my Web Page at:

http://community-1.webtv.net/Woodwor...workerJoesInfo

Where you will find:

******** How My Shop Works ******** 5-21-03

* * * Build a $20 DC Separator Can Lid. 1-14-03
* * * DC Relay Box Building Plans. 1-14-03
* * * The Bad Air Your Breath Everyday.1-14-03
* * * What is a Real Woodworker? 2-8-03
* * * Murphy's Woodworking Definitions. 2-8-03
* * * Murphy's Woodworking Laws. 4-6-03
* * * What is the true meaning of life? 1-14-03
* * * Woodworker Shop Signs. 2-8-03

Silvan

Bridger wrote:

over the years, and nothing has ever impressed her so much as this damn
candle holder.

and just what are you doing sitting typing at your computer?

I was waiting for the kids to go to bed.

The more I think about it, the more sad it is in some ways. I spent a MONTH
on that damn chess box. I hand surfaced all the lumber with only two
low-quality hand planes. I wrestled my POS boat anchor table saw into
cutting the strips straight enough to glue up. I planed and glued, cut and
planed and glued, then planed and planed and PLANED to get that damn board
to come out right.

I cut the miters on the frames PERFECTLY, and I attached them with splines
for perfect alignment and no through joinery. I again wrestled with the
POS boat anchor to do finger joints for the box. No dado set, so I had to
do 3/32" fingers. Lots and lots of 3/32" fingers. I had to re-make the
finger jig three times, then cut, and cut, and cut. They didn't fit qutie
right, so I had to go between them with sandpaper wrapped around a popsicle
stick. All umpty gajillion fingers.

Then I planed and planed and planed and planed. Then I chiseled and planed
and planed and chiseled and screwed and nailed. Then I coated it with
around 10 coats of shellac and at least two coats of paste wax. THEN I
lined the damn thing with velvet, made velvet-covered trays for the pieces
one in walnut, one in maple, etc. etc. etc.

100 hours, easy. A month of spending every spare minute in the shop.
Gallons of sweat, sore arms, occasional blood. $60 in materials.

It got me a "that's nice dear" but this stupid CANDLE HOLDER, which I made
in about two hours, out of a piece of wood left over from when my neighbor
pruned her tree, got me laid.

Something is just wrong with this picture folks.

Maybe this is why so many people who take up turning wind up giving up
flatwood. 100 hours of sweat gets a nod, while one hour of mindless fun
gets you the key to the furry gates?

What can you do with a lathe? Get laid! Chicks dig men who turn sticks.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Joe Woody Woodpecker demonstrated his obsession with comletion over
process and lack of understanding of what a hobby is:

You can make a bowl or platter with a legacy. And if you desire you can
make a set of salad bowls all in one afternoon EXACTLY ALIKE.

The legacy makes it funner because you don't spend so much 'time'
playing. Your work comes from sketched plans which has the exact bit to
use. You have to guess which type of wood chisel to use and you will
worry about tear out everytime you make something.

The legacy is just funner to use and is easier to use so you can finish
the job.

Besides, if bowels and pens are all you want to make, you should get a
mini lathe. But why spend $400 on a mini lathe when a full size lathe
is $650 and you can make stair spindles. Of course why spend $650 on a
full size lathe when you can spend $1000 on a true milling machine and
do 10 times more.

You want to make everything alike
You want to do it as fast as possible
You don't want to think about which tool to use
You don't want to think about how to design the thing you're making
You don't want to learn technique
You want to finish the job
You don't have a clue on what lathes make what items

God I pity your wife
Dave in Fairfax

Joe Woody Woodpecker wrote:
Take her to a wood show where they have a legacy orminital mill and let
them show it to her. I'd bet if you bought one for her, you'd never get
to turn again. She'd use the legacy when you weren't home and be all
over you when you were just thanking you for buting it.
Woody

Now you've proven that you not only don't understand hobbies, you're
clueless about women too. Getting there is at least half the fun.

Dave in Fairfax

Silvan wrote:
It got me a "that's nice dear" but this stupid CANDLE HOLDER, which I made
in about two hours, out of a piece of wood left over from when my neighbor
pruned her tree, got me laid.
Something is just wrong with this picture folks.
Maybe this is why so many people who take up turning wind up giving up
flatwood. 100 hours of sweat gets a nod, while one hour of mindless fun
gets you the key to the furry gates?
What can you do with a lathe? Get laid! Chicks dig men who turn sticks.

Breathe. Take it easy, you're missing the point here (no pun). You've
learned something very valuable here. You can be rewarded for having
fun. Now, doesn't that feel better. ;-) It could be worse, she coulda
said, "Oh, Why don't you make some more of the Chess boards, at least we
can give those away. I have a headache." Now don't you feel better
about the whole thing.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
Dave Mundt

Greetings and Salutations.
Well, thought I would toss my $0.02 in this ****ing
contest....
I remember lusting over this sort of thing when
I was a teenager. It just looked too cool for words, because
it did not require me to spend any time learning a skill,
and would allow me to turn out ornate bits.
Well, I am older now...and while I think, on
occasion, it would be nice to have the toy, I don't lust
after it any longer.
In that continuing argument between Normites and
Neaders, my rule of thumb is that if the machine simply
makes it easier for your skill to turn out something,
it is still "hand made". If the only skill required is
to put stock in the machine and set it up, then, the
MACHINE does all the work, it is not hand work any longer.
Also, considering that this is a RECREATIONAL
group, I am not sure that we are that interested in production,
and, if we actually WERE, I suspect it would be worthwhile
to simply invest in a CNC router and let it crank out
parts in short order.
It is fine to use the Legacy mill. It is fine
NOT to use the Legacy mill...There are some things that
the Legacy will do easily that are harder and require more
skill to do on a lathe. There are things that a lathe
will do better and easier than the Legacy... No tool
will do everything.
Regards
Dave Mundt

Bay Area Dave

bowels???

dave

Joe Woody Woodpecker wrote:

..

Besides, if bowels and pens are all you want to make, you should get a
mini lathe.

Doug Miller

In article , Bay Area Dave wrote:
bowels???

dave

Dave, we all know that "Woody" is full of ... :-)

Joe Woody Woodpecker wrote:

Besides, if bowels and pens are all you want to make, you should get a
mini lathe.

Dan Valleskey

big snips-

The legacy makes it funner because you don't spend so much 'time'
playing.

Ummmmm/////// Ah, okay.......

I like to play!

Groggy

"Doug Miller" wrote in message news:ScWQb.4364
Dave, we all know that "Woody" is full of ... :-)

Ayup. That would explain what comes out when he "expresses" himself...

Greg

Silvan wrote:
Oh, I feel fine about the whole thing. It's still slightly disturbing
though. All these years, all this time wasted... I could have bought a
lathe years ago and saved myself a thousand hours of work turning out
things that made her nod and say "that's nice dear."

Well, the good news is that how you've got one, and soon new bearings.
In the meantime, you've got another box of blanks headed your way. Hope
the drive went well, I wouldn't want to be on the road right now. Just
got a rig out of the trash yesterday.

Dave in Fairfax