Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finishing - Brown Paper Bag After Dye?

Wood turners often use a piece of brown paper bag as a final fine
abbrassive before a final finish is applied.

I'm mentoring a newbie furniture maker who is doing a 30" wide by
20" deep by 95" tall linen cabinet with raised panel doors and side
panels as well - out of BORG poplar. The intent is to use TransTint
"reddish brown" dye - in alcohol and probably wipe on poly as the
finish.

Now the key to avoid Splotchies is to seal the end grain coming up
out of the face of parts with something, in this case shellac I've
mixed up from flakes (there's something about the ritual of grinding
shellac flakes adding them to the alcohol and stirring - waiting -
stirring and waiting - then the filtering of the wonderful elixir).
Though alcohol doesn't raise the grain as much as water, it does
raise the grain some.

That means - shellac - wait - sand - apply another coat of sealer
- wait - sand finer, . . . The height of the grain which will stand up
when the alcohol dissolved dye is added won't be much - but even
some will mean more coats of finish later. So there's been a LOT
of sanding

Now one of the problems with dyes is that sanding it isn't a good
idea - especially if it's on an open grain wood. While poplar is not
as open grained as oak or mahogany, it ain't maple.

So I'm wondering if a going over the dyed surfaces with brown
paper bag paper will avoid getting fine sawdust in the grain that's
tough to get out and cut down on the need for more coats of
finish?

Anyone tried it for this application?

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 30, 11:00*pm, charlieb wrote:

SNIP of explanation

Anyone tried it for this application?

charlie, I do a lot of finishing. Here's my take on this, and you can
take it for exactly what it cost you! ;^)

I don't like Transtint. It fades and can fade fast. I don't
understand why that is, but I know light is its enemy. I have talked
to enough furniture refinishers and makers to know that won't be my
way. A large cabinet or table is bound to be in some kind of light in
its life.

I use Behlen's Solar Lux and love it. I have not had anything I have
used it on fade. That being said, I have my own method of
application.

I spray it. I use a tiny 1mm cap (nozzle/needle if high pressure) and
I cut it with 50 - 75% solution with anhydrous alcohol and mist it on
the project. No shellac needed as a base coat, no problems with over
absorbtion as there is a thin even coat of dye going on the surface.
It could try to pull more in, but there isn't a rag or brush to act as
a reservoir to pull the additional dye into the rougher or more porous
grain.

I spray a classic classic 2 coat crossing pattern to make sure I get a
good even coat. You only need to wait 20 minutes before you are ready
to go again.

Then I spray the finish on. I have done this with lacquer many, many
times (the results are phenomenal) and under polyurethane as well.

As always, just my 0.02.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 21:00:23 -0700, charlieb wrote:

So I'm wondering if a going over the dyed surfaces with brown
paper bag paper will avoid getting fine sawdust in the grain that's
tough to get out and cut down on the need for more coats of
finish?

Charlie, what I usually do is raise the grain with water and sand. Then I
apply 2 or 3 thin coats of 2 lb cut dewaxed shellac with a pad. Then I
mix the dye with the shellac and apply one or two coats. After that I go
back and apply several more clear coats, somewhere between 4 and 8
depending on how energetic I feel. I let that sit for at least a week,
two is better, and wet sand lightly, using mineral spirits with 1500 grit
paper. Then, while it's still wet, I give it a couple of swipes with 0000
steel wool.

Not all that different than what you described except for the extra coats
after the dye.

So far I haven't noticed any fading, but most of my stuff is small boxes
and the like which don't see a lot of direct sunshine.