Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Keeping things from freezing

I live in North Carolina where winters are mild. Rarely are there long
stretches of below freezing temperatures. My shop is in an unheated
garage, a hundred feet from the house. It fell into disuse a number of
years ago, and when I revived it last Spring I threw out all the latex
paint, Elmer's glue, etc. on the assumption that, at some time, it had
been frozen. I've been restocking, and now that Fall is here I'm
thinking of ways to keep the new stuff from freezing.

Simply store stuff in an old refrigerator? An ice chest? Build an
insulated cabinet with a temperature-controlled heat lamp?

Or maybe not worry about it. I haven't actually seen anything frozen,
but then, when I wasn't using the shop, I didn't go out there for
months at a time, so wouldn't have noticed.

Moving the stuff into the house wouldn't be convenient because of the
distance to the garage.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Richard Evans" wrote in message
[...]

A box with a couple light bulbs will do the trick. The reason you use two
light bulbs is in case one burns out.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Richard Evans wrote:
I live in North Carolina where winters are mild. Rarely are there long
stretches of below freezing temperatures. My shop is in an unheated
garage, a hundred feet from the house. It fell into disuse a number of
years ago, and when I revived it last Spring I threw out all the latex
paint, Elmer's glue, etc. on the assumption that, at some time, it had
been frozen. I've been restocking, and now that Fall is here I'm
thinking of ways to keep the new stuff from freezing.

Drop by http://www.builditsolar.com and take a look at DIY solar panels
- and visit http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/solar.html to see the /easy/ way
to keep your shop (and you) warm and cozy all winter long. :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Richard Evans" wrote in message
I live in North Carolina where winters are mild. Rarely are there long
stretches of below freezing temperatures. My shop is in an unheated
garage, a hundred feet from the house. It fell into disuse a number of
years ago, and when I revived it last Spring I threw out all the latex
paint, Elmer's glue, etc. on the assumption that, at some time, it had
been frozen. I've been restocking, and now that Fall is here I'm
thinking of ways to keep the new stuff from freezing.

Considering your unheated shop situation, there may be times when you need
to do a winter glue-up in the kitchen, if you can get away with it, and the
temperature of the stock and glue will both be important in cold weather.

My shop is also unheated ... I buy Titebond by the quart, transfer some to a
smaller glue bottles that go out to the shop most of the year around, but I
keep the big bottles in my office so that I always have fresh glue around at
optimum temperature.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 12:26:34 -0400, Richard Evans
wrote:

[...]

I have an old freezer that gave up the ghost. I took out the switch
and diconected the compressor. now when I plug it in only the 15 watt
bulb comes on and stays on. no freezing problems in the last 3 years.
I'm also in N.C. when the wheather is going to be below freezing I
plug it in and leave it untill it warms up. I have to replace the bulb
once or twice a year.

skeez

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:

Richard Evans wrote:
I live in North Carolina where winters are mild. Rarely are there long
stretches of below freezing temperatures. My shop is in an unheated
garage, a hundred feet from the house. It fell into disuse a number of
years ago, and when I revived it last Spring I threw out all the latex
paint, Elmer's glue, etc. on the assumption that, at some time, it had
been frozen. I've been restocking, and now that Fall is here I'm
thinking of ways to keep the new stuff from freezing.

Drop by http://www.builditsolar.com and take a look at DIY solar panels
- and visit http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/solar.html to see the /easy/ way
to keep your shop (and you) warm and cozy all winter long. :-)

The garage is over 1200 square feet. As much as I would like to, I
have no intention of heating the whole thing,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote:

"Richard Evans" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

That's my first choice. I'd add a temperature-sensitive switch, like
those used in greenhouses, and only turn the bulbs on when necessary.
My only concern there is potential fire hazard. Perhaps I'd line the
box with drywall.

I have a cheap particle-board cupboard that's big enough. I could
mount the bulbs in the bottom and drill some holes in the shelves to
let the warm air rise more freely.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Richard Evans" wrote

The garage is over 1200 square feet. As much as I would like to, I
have no intention of heating the whole thing,

Nice drive-by ... you suck, regardless of temperature.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I stick the latex stuff under my saw outfeed table, and hang a trouble
light with a 100 watt bulb. Nothing has ever frozen to my knowledge.
My shop well insulated but not heated except with a portable propane
radiant.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 29, 12:26*pm, Richard Evans wrote:
[...]

You can often find waterbed heaters at thrift shops. they are
thermostatically controlled and able to operate on a very low wick. As
such, the power draw is minimal.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Richard Evans wrote:
[...]

Any kind of cabinet with a little bit of heat should do what you
need--an old refrigerator would be nice since it's insulated. Same
principle as putting a light on the pump. Just use wire shelves or
something else that lets the heat flow through the entire cabinet.
For heat, a ESE terrarium heater (works like a 60, 100, or 150 watt
light bulb, but has a ceramic heating element so it doesn't burn
out--to figure out which one you need, once you've got the whole thing
together, try light bulbs of each wattage and check the temperature
rise) should be fine. You can put it on a greenhouse thermostat if
you want to just turn on the heat when the temperature gets close to
freezing. For the heater try a pet store that does a good business in
reptiles, for the thermostat the pet store may have one or you could
try garden centers.

If you can't find them locally, Googling "ESE heater" will get you
several sources for the heaters, googling "110v thermostat" will get
you several sources for the thermostats.

While solar heating the whole space is appealing, it may be overkill
for what you seem to be wanting to do.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote

While solar heating the whole space is appealing, it may be overkill
for what you seem to be wanting to do.

Yabbut...., He could make a little solar panel, to heat the paint cabinet!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 29, 9:26*am, Richard Evans wrote:
I live in North Carolina where winters are mild.
[ unheated outbuilding ] ... I threw out all the latex
paint, Elmer's glue, etc. on the assumption that, at some time, it had
been frozen. I've been restocking, and now that Fall is here I'm
thinking of ways to keep the new stuff from freezing.

You can simply insulate the paint closet, but it's more effective if
you also use a heat sink (like, is the floor a concrete slab?) to
extend the time before the temperature drops too low.
That means a low box is better than a tall closet.

Sheetrock/tubafour/fiberglass insulation like a house will
suffice for a warm box. Insulate a lid and weatherstrip where
it rests.

I'd consider a terrarium heater in the 30 watt range to be a
suitable backup heater. It includes a thermostat (set it low,
of course), and the heater has decades of useful life, as
compared to 750 hours of life for an incandescent lamp.

None of your liquids are pure water, they ARE safe at
freezing point, only at lower temperatures will they actually
crystallize.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Richard Evans wrote:

I live in North Carolina where winters are mild.
[ unheated outbuilding ] ... I threw out all the latex
paint, Elmer's glue, etc. on the assumption that, at some time, it
had
been frozen. I've been restocking, and now that Fall is here I'm
thinking of ways to keep the new stuff from freezing.

The lowest cost way to solve problem is to buy some elcheapo 30-50 qt
styrofoam coolers.

Lay a piece of 1/4 ply or hardboad in bottom of cooler to distribute
load.

Hang a 7-1/2 wat light bulb protected by a plastic cage (The type that
are OSHA req'd for bare stringer lights) and get a beer.

You could also build a box using 1/2 CDX and 1-1/2 foil faced urethane
foam, but it will take more time and cost more money.

BTDT, forget the T-Shirt.

Have fun.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Richard Evans wrote:
[...]

Hi Richard,

I live in a climate where -35 is not unheard of in January. My shop is
heated when I'm there, but not when it's left vacant.

I have an old plywood cabinet/bench setup that has a section closed off
with doors. I took some Styrofoam SM and lined the inside of the
section, including the doors. I drilled a hole in the side and inserted
a piece of heat tape, available around here in nearly any hardware
store. Not sure if it's available in the Carolinas.

The heat tape is thermostatically controlled, and keeps my chemicals
just above freezing. The heat output isn't enough for me to worry about
fire, but you could also string it on insulated stands.

This was the simplest and cheapest way to ensure that I got no freezing
in that area.

Tanus

need welding tricks.... keeping things cool [email protected] Metalworking 11 November 7th 07 09:20 AM
I'm freezing! cndlane Home Repair 4 December 9th 06 10:00 AM
I'm freezing! cndlane Home Repair 2 December 6th 06 04:30 AM
pipe freezing Adrian Simpson UK diy 10 November 6th 05 09:43 PM