Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? Set 252

I had been wanting to change the address on my site for a while and finally
got around to it. Here is the new location for all posts starting today:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

one day earlyer, only one silly guess this time ...

1432 und jetzt stellen wir uns mal janz dumm, watt issene dampfmaschinn ...
some kind of steam engine?

greetings from germany
chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1423 Guess: Steam powered water pump. Could be an air compressor. The
wood and brass things suggest coverings for lagging/insulation around steam
cylinders. The two different sizes of black pipes connecting the two
cylinders suggest double expansion. The first picture seems to show a
crankshaft mechanism to operate a non-insulated cylinder that has a rather
large open pipe connection on the front. OK... I'll go with water pump.

1426 Guess, and not even a good/complete one... The cylinders being movable,
but constrained, suggest some type of friction/sprag clutch, but there is no
visible ramp/cam mechanism to force them inwards. Also there is no wear
pattern, or mechanical input/output force transfer structure. I'll still
guess part of sprag clutch mechanism.

1428 Guess: Air photo flash/shutter timer. Ground speed range suggests an
airplane. Discrete count setting suggests a few events, such as dropping
flares or taking pictures. The 12-volts, though, seems strange; I'd expect
24. Yes, there were flashes used for some WWII photo missions. Yes, I
understand that almost always flashes don't work at any distance.

"Rob H." wrote in message
I had been wanting to change the address on my site for a while and finally
got around to it. Here is the new location for all posts starting today:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 04:22:11 -0400, "Rob H." wrote:

I had been wanting to change the address on my site for a while and finally
got around to it. Here is the new location for all posts starting today:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

1423... looks like an in-line vertical compound steam engine, purpose
unknown, but it looks like it has a pump attached.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob H. wrote:
I had been wanting to change the address on my site for a while and
finally got around to it. Here is the new location for all posts
starting today:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

1428 Reminds me of a PPI, Plan Position Indicator. The disks visible
thru the side are likely ball and disk variable speed couplers - some
call them integrators. COmputes Sin and Cos of airspeed windspeed
vectors to get ground speed, if I remember correctly... /mark

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article , "Rob H."
wrote:

I had been wanting to change the address on my site for a while and finally
got around to it. Here is the new location for all posts starting today:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Duly noted, probably to be duly forgotten.

My guesses this week--emphasis on "guess":

1423 -- This sure looks like a steam engine or possibly a steam pump
(basically a steam engine cylinder directly connected to a pump
cylinder) and associated appurtenances. I'd guess it was intended for
marine use, as it appears an attempt may have been made to keep the
center of gravity and the output shaft (assuming there is one) low, both
important for use on a boat but less necessary for a typical stationary
installation.

At present, it appears to be a museum exhibit.

1424 - A very odd tool. The business end looks vaguely like a star
drill, used with a hammer to drill holes in concrete, cement, etc., but
the handle end does not look at all suitable for hammering upon. If
thrust into some material that's not entirely solid, it would tend to
make a strangely shaped hole; perhaps the tapering triangles are just
what is needed for planting certain kinds of seeds or bulbs?

1425 - Sifter or huller for some agricultural product, maybe cherries or
cranberries.

1426 - Specialized wrench to turn five-sided nuts (such as those
sometimes seen on fire hydrants)? If so, a bar or similar passed
between the studs would go with it.

1427 - Purely a guess, but this kind of looks to me like it could be a
latch or catch of some sort, maybe for a window or a folding top of a
desk.

1428 - Controller/computer for setting a bomb fuse.

--
Andrew Erickson

lose." -- Jim Elliot
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 2008-10-01, Rob H. wrote:
I had been wanting to change the address on my site for a while and finally
got around to it. Here is the new location for all posts starting today:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

A pity that you stayed with blogspot. Everything else posted
here (rec.crafts.metalworking) with a blogspot URL is spam, and if it
were not for your site, I would be killfiling everything with blogspot
in it.

Anyway -- posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as always.

1423) Looks like a vertical dual-expansion steam engine to me.

I don't see a flywheel visible (though there might be one below
the deck and thus not visible). If there is no flywheel, it
might be a water pumping engine.

1424) Sort of looks like a chisel for dividing things into three
equal parts.

1425) These look like variations on washboards - designed to squeeze
water, soap, and dirt out of clothing. The drum design one is
probably for some early form of commercial laundry.

1426) This is an interesting one. My guess is that it is part of a
a one-way clutch type of bearing. It would be located in a
outer housing which would consist of five (in this case) spiral
ramps ending in a step. A smooth shaft passes through it and
when it rotates in one direction, the bearing cylinders are
pressed against the step, while rotation in the other direction
would cause them to roll down the ramp until the cylinders are
firmly pinched thus locking the shaft to the outer bearing.

1427) Hmm ... if there were a crank to turn the wheel, I would say
that it looked like a miniature version of an "English wheel"
a device which is used to form smooth three-dimensional curves
in sheet metal -- things like a motorcycle fender as an example.

Not sure how practical it would be for this given the lack of
a crank, and the lack of a cylindrical roller opposing the
narrow wheel.

1428) Aircraft instrument -- from US military aircraft. I think that
it is a settable alarm to warn when a specific airspeed is
reached. Given the range of ground speeds, I think that it is
part of a stall warning alarm. Perhaps part of the blurred out
red scale is for setting the gross weight of the aircraft, which
would affect the stall speed. This probably means that it was
for a cargo aircraft.

I'm not sure what the 1-16 switch is for. And it appears to be
more of an analog calculator than a digital one, which
reenforces the thought that it is a rather old one -- probably
WW-II period.

Now to see what others have suggested.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob H. wrote:
I had been wanting to change the address on my site for a while and
finally got around to it. Here is the new location for all posts
starting today:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

1424 - In the 19th Century, without air conditioning and modern
packaging, I imagine many products such as table salt could absorb
enough moisture to cake in as kegs or boxes. This looks like a good
tool to loosen up caked material in a wooden container.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

The answer page can be seen at the link below, I'll be away from my computer
for a couple of days so I won't be able to reply to any comments until late
Saturday.

http://answers252-r.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Brian Lawson" wrote in message
On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 04:22:11 -0400, "Rob H." wrote:

I had been wanting to change the address on my site for a while and
finally
got around to it. Here is the new location for all posts starting today:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

1423... looks like an in-line vertical compound steam engine, purpose
unknown, but it looks like it has a pump attached.

From the size of the pump, it's probably a vacuum pump for the condenser,
which would be out of sight under the deck.

Steve R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Rob H." wrote in message
I had been wanting to change the address on my site for a while and finally
got around to it. Here is the new location for all posts starting today:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

1423 compound steam engine

Steve R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1424: some kind of nut cracker? Maybe a cocoanut husker?

1426: a light-duty centering chuck, perhaps for a glassblower's
lathe. It would have a few other parts, of course.