Peter De Smidt

Default Table saw: DeWalt General Grizzly

Hi Folks. I've finally decided to get a table saw for my garage shop,
and I'm having a tough time deciding on which one to get. Yes, a
common problem.

My nearest dealer suggests the DeWalt hybrid saw, which at the moment
comes with a free mobile base. However, after doing some researching,
I've come to the conclusion that I'd have to add two cast iron
extension wings, which brings the price up to about $1060, which is
about the same as a Grizzly G1023sl. I've heard mostly good things
about the Grizzly, but I'm a little disturbed at all of the quality
control issues that I've read about. Plus, while I have 220 15 amp in
my garage, the Grizzly is rated for 18 amps, which means that I'd have
to rewire.

That brings up General International. I've heard good things about
their saws, but are they really much different than Grizzly? I
could get a 50-185L M1 for $679 with a 52" fence. This nice price
would mean that I could buy some more tools, but I don't plan on ever
getting another table saw, unless I win Lotto. This contractor saw
(with a mobile base) is about $250 less than the cabinet/hybrid saw.
Next, a General International 50-260 M1 with a 50" fence. This would
set me back $1270. Is this saw significantly different from a
Grizzly? GI lists the amperage draw 12.7 versus the Grizzly's 18, but
otherswise it's hard to tell. Is it worth $250 more?

Finally, I could get a General Canadian Made 650-T50-M2m for $1869.
I'd probably have to sell more camera gear and write of a Leigh jig,
but I suppose that I could just swing it and a great blade or two. Is
it really worth almost double the Grizzly and Dewalt? Final quation,
even if I get or build a mobile base for a massive saw such as the
650-t50-m2m will I be able to push is around? My garage floor is
concrete, but there are a few cracks. Has anyone pushed one of these
beasts around?

Regards,
Peter De Smidt
Fond du lac, WI
V.E. Dorn

You're obviously thinking this through. Unfortunately, I can't really speak
to anything other than the Griz 1023sl which is the one I purchased - so
far, so good. I'm sure I'd have been at least as happy with the General,
but IMHO, there I wouldn't buy the DeWalt if your spending the same money in
which you could get a 1023 for. I'm not aware of the quality control
problems you speak of, or at least any that are in excess of other brands.
The other thing that confuses me is your need to re-wire if you already have
220v. If you simply put a 20amp breaker in you should be fine unless you
have anything smaller than 12-2 going from the breaker to the outlet.
Possibly there is something else I'm unaware of.

Don

Peter De Smidt wrote in message
[...]

Wayne Brissette

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 13:31:31 -0600, Peter De Smidt wrote
(in message ):

Next, a General International 50-260 M1 with a 50" fence. This would
set me back $1270. Is this saw significantly different from a
Grizzly? GI lists the amperage draw 12.7 versus the Grizzly's 18, but
otherswise it's hard to tell. Is it worth $250 more?

Peter:

In talking with the General Distributor today (I'm also in the market for
nice cabinet saw), I found that the 260 is basically the same saw as the 185
with exception of the base (at least that's what he claims). It seems that
you and I are looking at very similar (and some of the same) saws. Since this
saw will be my last, I'm leaning towards the 350. I have to make up my mind
by Wednesday of this week since the distributor is placing his order then.
He'll order any other time, but then I would have to pay freight. If he puts
it in with his order I wouldn't have to pay freight, but I would have to
drive 100 miles to his store to pick it up.

Hope the info on the 250/260 helps.

Wayne

Tom Wojeck

I just got the Dewalt 746x. I've been very happy thus far. Mine came with
30" rails and extension wings and a mobile base. Total cost with tax was
just under $900. I upgraded from a Craftsman, so the difference for me is
tremendous.

[...]

john moorhead

Hello -

FWIW, when I see a post about "which saw" and the normal repies, I feel
obligated to "cast my vote" for the General 350 or the left tilt version the
650 I think. I purchased the saw used, and it's about 8 years old - I have
used Uni's and I have to say I am VERY happy with this saw. DAGS on General
350 or TS in newsgroups and you'll find a wealth of posts. I think that
General, like Bridgewood, doesn't always have people's attention and they
get locked into Delta/PM/Griz/Jet when there ARE other GREAT tools out
there.

I was in your situation, I did LOTS of checking looking and reading, and
nobody had anything bad to say about the general. Not so with PM and Delta,
much larger companies, and more out there, so that has to be taken into
account, but I wanted to fly the Maple Leaf for General.

John Moorhead
Lakeport, CA

"Wayne Brissette" wrote in message
thlink.net...
[...]

Ed

by Wednesday of this week since the distributor is placing his

order
then. He'll order any other time, but then I would have to pay
freight. If he

puts
it in with his order I wouldn't have to pay freight, but I would

have
to drive 100 miles to his store to pick it up.

Hope the info on the 250/260 helps.

Wayne

I've been looking for a General 50-185 LM1 since Thanksgiving and the
dealers answer is three to four weeks. Yesterday it was still three
four weeks. I think I'll drive to Canada next week and see if I can
find one in Winsdor, Ont.