Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Doc Doc is offline

Default What is this wood hammer for?

Years ago I bought a toolbox from someone and there were a couple of
these small hammers made out of wood. The head is maybe 1 - 1 1/2
inches across, a couple of inches long. On one of them the head is
made of what looks like a wood strip that's been wound, the other is
solid. Either of them weigh a few ounces.

What would these be used for?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Doc Doc is offline

On Jul 18, 5:51*am, "Steve Barker DLP"
wrote:
google 'rawhide hammer'. *they are usually used for tooling ( or beating the
**** out of ) metal.

No, these are small. A few ounces in weight.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

wrote:
google 'rawhide hammer'. they are usually used for tooling ( or beating
the
**** out of ) metal.

No, these are small. A few ounces in weight.

Did you Google? If you do you will find that raw rawhide hammers do come in
small sizes, for example 2 oz. in weight 1" in diameter and 2 3/8" long.
While the most common known use is probably for striking tools to decorate
leather, the rawhide hammers can be used for any application large or small
in which you do not want to mar the surface.

http://www.csosborne.com/no196.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

on 7/18/2008 4:50 AM Doc said the following:
Years ago I bought a toolbox from someone and there were a couple of
these small hammers made out of wood. The head is maybe 1 - 1 1/2
inches across, a couple of inches long. On one of them the head is
made of what looks like a wood strip that's been wound, the other is
solid. Either of them weigh a few ounces.

What would these be used for?

They are more commonly called a 'rawhide mallet'. Mallets are used to
pound on things that you don't want to use a steel hammer on, which
would mar whatever you were banging on. In the old days, they were used
to pound hub caps onto wheels. A lot less painful than using your bare hand.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Doc:

There is a guy (R.H.) who weekly posts a "What is It" tool puzzle on this
NG, as well as other newsgroups:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Take a digital photo, and forward the image of the hammers on to Rob. If
he thinks it worth while to add them to his tool puzzle, he can gets lots
of eyeballs to view the hammers. The choice is solely his to add them.

I am guessing that another clue to the use of those lightweight wooden
hammers might rest with info on the toolbox, other tools in toolbox, and
so forth. Sounds like the hammer's are too unique for just average Joe's
tool box. And since they are made of wood...Then there is no value.

Phil

Years ago I bought a toolbox from someone and there were a couple of
these small hammers made out of wood. The head is maybe 1 - 1 1/2
inches across, a couple of inches long. On one of them the head is made
of what looks like a wood strip that's been wound, the other is solid.
Either of them weigh a few ounces.

What would these be used for?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

In article ,
Phil Again wrote:

Doc:

There is a guy (R.H.) who weekly posts a "What is It" tool puzzle on this
NG, as well as other newsgroups:
http://blahblahblah.com/

Uh, that's called spam, knothead, the kind you claim not to want.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 09:51:26 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Phil Again wrote:

Doc:

There is a guy (R.H.) who weekly posts a "What is It" tool puzzle on this
NG, as well as other newsgroups:
http://blahblahblah.com/

Uh, that's called spam, knothead, the kind you claim not to want.

Hardly. Rob- the owner of
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/ has been posting them for years- and
I've been reading them for months. I haven't seen any commercial
connection on his site. He also posts to a couple newsgroups, asks
for feedback- responds to questions, and in every way appears to be a
gentleman who wants to spread knowledge.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 18 Jul 2008 21:00:17 GMT, Stephen King wrote:

for hammering stuff.

I'm guessing your lobotomy worked?!
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Doc" wrote

Years ago I bought a toolbox from someone and there were a couple of
these small hammers made out of wood. The head is maybe 1 - 1 1/2
inches across, a couple of inches long. On one of them the head is
made of what looks like a wood strip that's been wound, the other is
solid. Either of them weigh a few ounces.

What would these be used for?

Lots of things actually. They dont cause 'dents' and so are suitable to use
on a softer wood product to 'nudge it in place'. I have 2 even smaller ones
like you mention (just a few ounces) used when fixing a very antique
shadowbox of a kitchen scene.

I also have a larger one, a wood mallet. I use it to adjust doorframes. I
could use a longish block of wood (stayback) and a metal hammer, but I find
it faster and easier to just use the wood one that doesnt dent.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message

Uh, that's called spam, knothead, the kind you claim not to want.

Hardly. Rob- the owner of
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/ has been posting them for years- and
I've been reading them for months. I haven't seen any commercial
connection on his site. He also posts to a couple newsgroups, asks
for feedback- responds to questions, and in every way appears to be a
gentleman who wants to spread knowledge.

Correct. It's not his fault some other spammers used the same idea to get
folks to look at dildos etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 7/18/2008 2:36 PM Oren spake thus:

On 18 Jul 2008 21:00:17 GMT, Stephen King wrote:

for hammering stuff.

I'm guessing your lobotomy worked?!

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

(from Tom Waits a long long time ago ...)

It drags itself out of the dark abyss of pish, and crawls insanely up
the topmost pinnacle of posh. It is rumble and bumble. It is flap and
doodle. It is balder and dash."

- With apologies to H. L. Mencken

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Doc" wrote in message
Years ago I bought a toolbox from someone and there were a couple of
these small hammers made out of wood. The head is maybe 1 - 1 1/2
inches across, a couple of inches long. On one of them the head is
made of what looks like a wood strip that's been wound, the other is
solid. Either of them weigh a few ounces.

What would these be used for?

OK - I really hate to do this but.....

This is a case where proper use of the language could help us in answering
your question.

Is it a "wood hammer" ie a hammer made to poundon wood? Or.....

Is it a "wooden hammer" ie a hammer made of wood?

This could make a major differnce (or not).

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Doc wrote:
Years ago I bought a toolbox from someone and there were a couple of
these small hammers made out of wood. The head is maybe 1 - 1 1/2
inches across, a couple of inches long. On one of them the head is
made of what looks like a wood strip that's been wound, the other is
solid. Either of them weigh a few ounces.

What would these be used for?

We can't see them from here. Post a picture somewhere if you want more
than blind guesses.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

In article ,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 09:51:26 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Phil Again wrote:

Doc:

There is a guy (R.H.) who weekly posts a "What is It" tool puzzle on this
NG, as well as other newsgroups:
http://blahblahblah.com/

Uh, that's called spam, knothead, the kind you claim not to want.

Hardly. Rob- the owner of
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/ has been posting them for years- and
I've been reading them for months. I haven't seen any commercial
connection on his site. He also posts to a couple newsgroups, asks
for feedback- responds to questions, and in every way appears to be a
gentleman who wants to spread knowledge.

Jim

I stand corrected. Apparently I mistook him for another fellow who uses
the same tactic to lure people to a pay-per-click site.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Smitty Two" wrote

I stand corrected. Apparently I mistook him for another fellow who uses
the same tactic to lure people to a pay-per-click site.

Yep, Rob is one of the good guys.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Jul 18, 6:29 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 7/18/2008 2:36 PM Oren spake thus:

On 18 Jul 2008 21:00:17 GMT, Stephen King wrote:

for hammering stuff.

I'm guessing your lobotomy worked?!

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

(from Tom Waits a long long time ago ...)

Fernwood Tonight, the episode featuring Baby Irene.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Father Haskell wrote:
On Jul 18, 6:29 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 7/18/2008 2:36 PM Oren spake thus:

On 18 Jul 2008 21:00:17 GMT, Stephen King wrote:
for hammering stuff.
I'm guessing your lobotomy worked?!

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

(from Tom Waits a long long time ago ...)

Fernwood Tonight, the episode featuring Baby Irene.

It predates that- I saw it on bathroom stall walls at college in the
early 70s. Sometimes (in the med school building) as 'I'd rather have a
free bottle in front of me, than a prefrontal lobotomy'. I was given the
impression by others that it was an old saying even then.

GoogleGoogleGoogle

Hmm, not much help there. Along with Waits, it credits several others,
going back at least as far as Dorothy Parker. Likely a traditional
college graffiti, ever since the procedure was popular in early 1900s.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Claude Hopper wrote:
Doc wrote:
Years ago I bought a toolbox from someone and there were a couple of
these small hammers made out of wood. The head is maybe 1 - 1 1/2
inches across, a couple of inches long. On one of them the head is
made of what looks like a wood strip that's been wound, the other is
solid. Either of them weigh a few ounces.

What would these be used for?

Wooden hammers are for wooden nails.

To crack the shells of wooden snails.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

In article
,
aemeijers wrote:

GoogleGoogleGoogle

Hmm, not much help there. Along with Waits, it credits several others,
going back at least as far as Dorothy Parker. Likely a traditional
college graffiti, ever since the procedure was popular in early 1900s.

--
aem sends...

Well, maybe not exactly the *early* 1900s. Answers.com sez:

"On 12 November 1935, a Portuguese neurosurgeon, Almeida Lima, performed
the first human lobotomy..."
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

wrote:

google 'rawhide hammer'. they are usually used for tooling ( or beating
the
**** out of ) metal.

No, these are small. A few ounces in weight.

Did you Google? *If you do you will find that raw rawhide hammers do come in
small sizes, for example 2 oz. in weight 1" in diameter and 2 3/8" long.
While the most common known use is probably for striking tools to decorate
leather, the rawhide hammers can be used for any application large or small
in which you do not want to mar the surface.

http://www.csosborne.com/no196.htm

From that link: "It is recommended for many jobs where the user wishes
to avoid scaring." So there's your answer - the rawhide hammer is a
less fearsome tool. I guess it's chosen by people who smash a thumb
all too frequently.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Jul 18, 4:50*am, Doc wrote:
Years ago I bought a toolbox from someone and there were a couple of
these small hammers made out of wood. The head is maybe 1 - *1 1/2
inches across, a couple of inches long. On one of them the head is
made of what looks like a wood strip that's been wound, the other is
solid. Either of them weigh a few ounces.

What would these be used for?

Doc,

Some time ago, I saw an episode of WoodWorks with David Marks where he
made wooden body planes. The blade was held in by a wedge and you
tightened the wedge by tapping with a hammer and you loosened the
wedge by tapping the back of the plane body with a hammer. Marks used
a brass head hammer but i feel a wooden head might be more
appropriate.

Bill L.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Taking a cue from my uncle, a craftsman, I have many wooden mallets.
I made many of them of different species. I use a softer wood mallet
to tap the harder project wood, so as not to damage the project wood.
When a head becomes too damaged (seldom), I replace it. Some heads
are not perpendicular to the handle, about 8 to 10 degrees off, to
accommodate a slightly different drive when needed. I have a wide
variety of sizes and some have a wedge shape on one face. A few I've
added cow hide straps simply for decor, like a tomahawk. On the
brighter side, those of 4" or larger heads are attitude adjusters, not
mallets, and more for display than use. Many I have are tree limb
heads on tree limb handles, no two alike, and I've learned to
distinguish them for particular uses. Besides, why waste a good tree
limb by trashing it? Make a mallet.... or an attitude adjuster.

I also do upholstery work. Leather or rawhide mallets are used to
drive tack strips into place and to attach front arm panels, and the
like, onto the furniture. The tack strips and panel structures are
under the fabric, so the leather mallet, though hard, does not damage
the fabric when driving these tack/nail applications. I also have a
series of short wooden plugs (3" long dowels of different diameters),
wrapped in scrap fabric, that I sometimes use as buffers between
mallet and fabric-structure application. As with anything, you can go
over-board and tap too hard and damage anything, so some care is
required when tacking/nailing through fabric, this way. Vinyl hammer
heads (tack hammers) are used for decorative tacks, so as not to
damage the decorative tacks. I suppose small wood mallets may have
been used before vinyl came along.

Sonny
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Jul 18, 3:50*am, Doc wrote:
Years ago I bought a toolbox from someone and there were a couple of
these small hammers made out of wood. The head is maybe 1 - *1 1/2
inches across, a couple of inches long. On one of them the head is
made of what looks like a wood strip that's been wound, the other is
solid. Either of them weigh a few ounces.

What would these be used for?

Wood hammers are great for engine building to knock in pins, pistons,
timing gears, etc, or for a "setup man" of factory machinery for
example a slitterman in a paper factory that needs to knock the
rotating knive spacing in place without damaging them before he locks
them down on the shaft. Or any application where you dont want to
damage the usually metal part but do want to move it.