Doug

Default Help with questions. Old B&D router

20 years ago I purchased a Black and Decker router for a few projects,
which I used it for and put it away in storage. Today, new home, new
projects. I have decided to setup a small wood shop to work on a few
projects and to give me something to do when the projects are
complete. So I am trying to figure out how to use/integrate this
router. It is model# 7613 type 3, 8.5amp and spins at 25000rpm and
runs great, might have been used 10 to 15 hours.

Step one would be for recommendations, when I search the net for
anything about/dealing with this router I find virtually nothing. Of
course I would like recommendations to fit with what I want, need and
desire if possible.

The biggest, grandest thing I would like to do with this is setup a
router table. I do know of a plate that fits this router to use in a
table. Is there a plate or a universal plate or would I have to make
one? Another is bushings for cutting dovetails and other patterns, is
there something to fit the base on this router? Maybe a replacement
base that would accept bushings?

If you were me how do you see this router getting its best use? What
do you see doing to this router to get the best use of it? What would
you not do with it?

Any recommendations would be appreciated, along with recommendations,
a means to accomplish them. Websites, vendors, books, etc.

Thanks!
Routerman P. Warner

Good little 1/4" tool. The latest generation of that guy was the
DW(DeWalt) 610, which has been replaced by the 618.
A modest trimmer for light work, would not recommend for router table;
you'll burn it up.
http://www.patwarner.com (Routers)

[...]

David Babcock

"Doug" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Now, you're serious about doing this crazy stuff again?..........ok
If'n it were me, I would keep the old B&D for trimming and lite duty stuff,
and put down a few for a nice new router to fit in a table. If you look back
at some of the postings about routers in the past you will note one thing,
most of us sawdust nuts have more than one router. There aren't many things
that are time consuming/aggravating/PITA than having to disconnect, change
the bit, reset the depth......etc, etc, on just one router.
Oh, it can be done, but,............ he that has the most routers wins!

Dave

Phisherman

You can mount your router on a quality 1/2" ply and construct a simple
fence held in place with clamps. If you use it a lot, you'll
eventually buy a more powerful router and build a table for it. All
you need is to find some screws that fit your router base, although
you could use buttons to secure the router. Having two, three, or
four routers is always nice. I have an old B&D router that still
works great--does the job even though not too powerful.

On 2 Jan 2004 10:04:22 -0800, (Doug) wrote:

[...]

Doug

"David Babcock" wrote in message news:M6oJb.727352$Tr4.1867984@attbi_s03...

Now, you're serious about doing this crazy stuff again?..........ok
If'n it were me, I would keep the old B&D for trimming and lite duty stuff,
and put down a few for a nice new router to fit in a table. If you look back
at some of the postings about routers in the past you will note one thing,
most of us sawdust nuts have more than one router. There aren't many things
that are time consuming/aggravating/PITA than having to disconnect, change
the bit, reset the depth......etc, etc, on just one router.
Oh, it can be done, but,............ he that has the most routers wins!

Dave

I want to thank you for your recommendation, I have no problem with a
having more than one router around. As you can imagine I want to make
the best use of the tools I have on hand. If that be getting a
different router along with a table then so be it. As I work towards
my goal I do not need to throw out every option and start new. It
helps me to have a working plan that will grow with me. My wife has
bought off on the idea of my investing in new tools, it she see the
payoff continuing to use the old ones in addition to the new works.

And I must disagree, he who dies with the most frogs wins!!
Doug

(Routerman P. Warner) wrote in message . com...
Good little 1/4" tool. The latest generation of that guy was the
DW(DeWalt) 610, which has been replaced by the 618.
A modest trimmer for light work, would not recommend for router table;
you'll burn it up.
http://www.patwarner.com (Routers)

Pat I have been to your site and it has a lot of information. Let me
rephrase that it has a lot of GOOD information. I would certainly
like to make good use of the tools I have, I don't thinks there is one
of us that buys a tool and does it with the intention of burning it
up.

Pat I know this question is asked repeatedly and I see it through out
these news groups. What would you recommend as a good all around
router and one that would work good in a table. I realize there a lot
of pitfalls to a learning curve, but that is what brought me here. So
give me some pointers.

Thanks
GTO69RA4

Oh man, they dropped the DW610? As an owner of one of the early B&D 365 models,
that makes me rather sad. Some product life, though, to be sold for 40-45
years. I like mine even though it's something like 6A.

GTO(John)

Good little 1/4" tool. The latest generation of that guy was the
DW(DeWalt) 610, which has been replaced by the 618.
A modest trimmer for light work, would not recommend for router table;
you'll burn it up.
http://www.patwarner.com (Routers)
************************************************* **********************

cowtown eric

some of these older routers are hangin around my shop too, and they are
often funky in appearance but they predate the time when folks was tossing
routers into tables. Upside down, they wasn't exactly prepared to be
inundated with sawdust.

I like the old routers, they is from a time when a HP was a HP, not some
conjured up number for marketing....but there limitation is typically the
1/4" collet size, and while that's OK for the time when if you wanted to
use bigger cutters, you obviously shoulda bought a (boat anchor) shaper.

Methinks that building a router table for 1/4" shank stuff is OK as long
as you know you are limiting yourself. Sooner or later you will require a
further iteration to handle 1/2" shank bits. Ergo, forgo the temptation to
do what you suggest, rather use these beasties in the format they were
intended for, and enjoy the ergonomics of the hand held router.

As folks have suggested, most find that one router just ain't enuf and
some folks even find themselves losing count of the routers-at-hand. Not
that everyone has to go that route, but these older routers can be picked
up at garage sales for 10-15 bucks, with lots of life left in em.

Router table construction makes an implicit statement that a router sees a
fair amount of utilization, and when that is happening, the need for
multiple routers becomes self evident. And while the router table is a
defacto requirement for moderately serious woodworking, that requirement
also includes the capability to handle the 1/2" shank bits. Ergo, a router
table for a router with 1/4" bits only will inevitably lead to
frustration, and also inevitable replacement. (but frustration and
upgrading is also an integral part of the learning curve- t'aint all a bad
thing!)

Bushings for cutting dovetails? available, almost certainly, and equally
certain, substantially cheaper than when you bought this device. The jigs,
now they aint cheap, but here again, many star-struck woodworkers bought
them and now they too often appear in garage sales at reasonable prices.
The utilization of them takes one off on another learning curve, and while
dovetails are good, a feller doesn't necessarily require a router to make
them. In fact they have been made by hand for many centuries before the
age of the electron. It is in fact doable without a router, and I would
dare to suggest, that should dovetails be in the plans in anything less
than say 30 or 40 drawers, , that simple wood-butchery techniques like
marking, sawing , and chiseling ....may be applied to yield more "braggin
rights" than a dovetail produced by a screaming normitic device. Simply my
observation (Cowtown is ducking)

As you asked, if I were you, I'd not attach this device to a router table,
just keep it for regular routing, and enjoy it as it was intended

Eric