Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Battery for SkilSaw

I have a 3 3/8" cordless circular saw. I've had it a few years, rarely
use it, but it does come in handy from time to time. I have three
batteries, all too weak to be any good and I can't find any new
batteries.

The saw model is 2977 and the battery model is 92927.

When I do an advanced Google, including model numbers, in the "must
have" field, I get hits but when I go to the pages there is no sign of
the battery.

On the one hand, I hate to throw away a perfectly good tool for lack
of a battery. On the other hand, I will probably find that a new
battery costs more than a new saw, and I already have a cordless Black
& Decker so wouldn't go that route.

Suggestions?
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Richard Evans wrote:
On the one hand, I hate to throw away a perfectly good tool for lack
of a battery. ...

Suggestions?

Have the battery packs rebuilt. If you're in a locale of any size at
all, there should be listings in Yellow Pages. If not, there are any
number of places to send them--there was a thread within the week on the
same subject.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Richard Evans" wrote in message
I have a 3 3/8" cordless circular saw. I've had it a few years, rarely
use it, but it does come in handy from time to time. I have three
batteries, all too weak to be any good and I can't find any new
batteries.

The saw model is 2977 and the battery model is 92927.

When I do an advanced Google, including model numbers, in the "must
have" field, I get hits but when I go to the pages there is no sign of
the battery.

On the one hand, I hate to throw away a perfectly good tool for lack
of a battery. On the other hand, I will probably find that a new
battery costs more than a new saw, and I already have a cordless Black
& Decker so wouldn't go that route.

Suggestions?

Perhaps you can renew or rebuild the batteries at one of those battery rehab
places. I am not certain of the economics of this, but it should beat the
new price.

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:

Richard Evans wrote:
On the one hand, I hate to throw away a perfectly good tool for lack
of a battery. ...

Suggestions?

Have the battery packs rebuilt.

Batteries Plus wants $56 to rebuild it, but they looked up my model
number and found it's been replaced and the replacement battery is
$36. Now that I have the new model number, I might even find it
cheaper online.

Thanks for the tip.

Posted to rec.woodworking

You didn't say what the battery voltage is. I have a 12 volt Dewalt
drill. I have often said that when the batteries fail, I will take the
cells out of the pack and wire in a garden tractor battery on the end of
a heavy 6 or 8 foot cord. I haven't done if, but, why not? Yes, you
have to carry the battery around, but you still don't need "housepower"
to run it! If your saw has a higher voltage, you could still do this by
tapping into a second battery for the number of cells needed. They only
cost about $15 each and would last a LONG time between charges.

Pete Stanaitis