Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Would like to make a wooden erector set

My 1 1/2 and 3 1/2 y.o.'s love to assemble things, and I was considering
making a wooden erector set of sorts. They would help me build the parts as
well.

But I was wondering if anyone here has ever tried something like this.

I'm envisioning something like 8" x 3/8" x 3/4" "boards" with holes in the
end for simple nut+bolts.

The 1 1/2 y.o. of course would be supervised, since choking hazards are
basically anything that can fit.

There are plastic ones on sale of course but I was wondering about wood
because my older son likes to create things and not have them disassembled
later. Which causes trouble with construction toys. So if he creates
something and wants to keep it, I'd like to just add materials to it.

Anyone actually attempt this?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 5, 10:21*am, "Thomas G. Marshall"
. com wrote:
My 1 1/2 and 3 1/2 y.o.'s love to assemble things, and I was considering
making a wooden erector set of sorts. *They would help me build the parts as
well.

But I was wondering if anyone here has ever tried something like this.

I'm envisioning something like 8" x 3/8" x 3/4" "boards" with holes in the
end for simple nut+bolts.

The 1 1/2 y.o. of course would be supervised, since choking hazards are
basically anything that can fit.

There are plastic ones on sale of course but I was wondering about wood
because my older son likes to create things and not have them disassembled
later. *Which causes trouble with construction toys. *So if he creates
something and wants to keep it, I'd like to just add materials to it.

Anyone actually attempt this?

Dont know of a set like that.. I did build a build a boat toy for my
son when he was smaller.

It started with a 3/4" pieces of wood about 4" wide and 8" long shaped
like a boat.
I drilled an assorment of holes into this. In which you could place
different size dowels.
I then cut out pieces that could be placed on the dowels to create
different shape ships each time.
He spent hours playing with it, I even built a case for it, let me
know if interested and I will send a pic.

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have not done this myself, but I would probably start with something
like this:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2413306

and modify different pieces of wood to interact with it. When you
look at the pieces, they are about $1 a piece. I am sure you could
find something similar for less.

You could also make yourself your own Tinkertoys (or just buy a couple
of sets) with some time and imagination, and not have to worry about a
choking hazard.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
I have not done this myself, but I would probably start with something
like this:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2413306

and modify different pieces of wood to interact with it. When you
look at the pieces, they are about $1 a piece. I am sure you could
find something similar for less.

That little pile of scrap sells for $65!

You certainly will have no problem beating that price.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
I have not done this myself, but I would probably start with something
like this:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2413306

and modify different pieces of wood to interact with it. When you
look at the pieces, they are about $1 a piece. I am sure you could
find something similar for less.

That little pile of scrap sells for $65!

You certainly will have no problem beating that price.

A surprising amount of thought goes into those products. My children have
a set like that, and it's really worth it. Get two! Sorry, MAKE two. But
make sure all the sharp corners are knocked off, no slivers anywhere, and
choose a species and/or finish that's going to be safe. I wonder if the
manufacturers put them in a huge rotating drum to do that. Match sizes so
his structures will be sturdy and easy to build.

And make a good sized coopered bucket to hold them all so cleanup is a fun
game of tossing the blocks in.

- Owen -

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
I have not done this myself, but I would probably start with
something like this:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2413306

and modify different pieces of wood to interact with it. When you
look at the pieces, they are about $1 a piece. I am sure you could
find something similar for less.

That little pile of scrap sells for $65!

You certainly will have no problem beating that price.

A surprising amount of thought goes into those products.

I once had gifted to us one of those sets of cardboard blocks. The kind
that you fold together into these surprising brick-like blocks of surprising
strength. Some of them as large as half a shoe-box, or thereabouts.

Problem is, they committed the mortal sin of block making. A true caning
offense: they did not make every dimension a multiple of the smallest
dimension of any of the blocks.

Sooooooo....it was nearly impossible for my then-2 year old to create a
structure that would "line up" or be steady. I dug out the box they came in
to see the sample picture and the picture was merely a horrible wall---no
building, no castle, no anything. Even the marketing people couldn't build
something identifiable.

All the thing did was teach my son futility. I threw most of the blocks out
and bought a new cardboard set right away that followed the dimension rule.