Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Fixing a 1hp Dayton TEFC motor

I picked up 3 motors this afternoon from someone who cleaned out their
shed. I got a 1/6HP, a 3/4HP and a 1HP motor. The smaller ones are
just your regular motor, and they fire up without a problem and sound
good while running.

The 1 hp one doesn't work, though. When I give it power it just
buzzes. SWMBO told me the lights inside the house almost went out when
I was trying to get it to spin up. Do I need to replace the capacitor
or something to get it to work? It's a bit rusty, but the spindle
spins pretty easily.
This link is to a new version of the one I've got:
http://kingsolar.com/catalog/mfg/dayton/6k582.html

As to the others, would the 1/6HP one have enough guts to work as a
grinder or would it bog down too easily?

I'm hoping I can use one of these motors to power a small lathe that I
haven't built yet. I'd like to use the 1hp one, but I'm not sure it's
the right motor for that kind of purpose, so the 3/4 one will probably
go toward that.

I'd appreciate any help or advice, even if it's just a link to
somewhere with some good info.

-Nathan
Posted to rec.woodworking

"N Hurst" wrote:

I picked up 3 motors this afternoon from someone who cleaned out
their
shed. I got a 1/6HP, a 3/4HP and a 1HP motor. The smaller ones are
just your regular motor, and they fire up without a problem and
sound
good while running.

The 1 hp one doesn't work, though. When I give it power it just
buzzes. SWMBO told me the lights inside the house almost went out
when
I was trying to get it to spin up. Do I need to replace the
capacitor
or something to get it to work? It's a bit rusty, but the spindle
spins pretty easily.

As to the others, would the 1/6HP one have enough guts to work as a
grinder or would it bog down too easily?

Probably.

3/4 HP would be better suited.

If it is a split phase unit, not a good choice for a lathe.

Lew

I'm hoping I can use one of these motors to power a small lathe that
haven't built yet. I'd like to use the 1hp one, but I'm not sure
it's
the right motor for that kind of purpose, so the 3/4 one will
probably
go toward that.

I'd appreciate any help or advice, even if it's just a link to
somewhere with some good info.

You need what is known as a "megger" or also a "growler" to determine
if the motor has a short in the windings.

Any money spent to repair a 1HP motor is a waste of good money.

Take it to a motor shop and have them test it.

If they want anything more than $20 to look at it, toss it in the
scrap heap.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 21, 10:23 pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"N Hurst" wrote:
[...]

How can I tell if it's a split phase motor?
Also, since this is a stand alone motor, I could just switch belts
between a grinder and a lathe setup.

Thanks for the information on the 1hp motor. I've got a local motor
shop that should be able to help me out.

Is there any useful purpose I can put a 1/6HP motor to?

-Nathan

Posted to rec.woodworking

"N Hurst" wrote:

How can I tell if it's a split phase motor?

It won't have a capacitor "hump"

Is there any useful purpose I can put a 1/6HP motor to?

A shop cooling fan.

Lew