Larry Bud

Default Advantage of a sliding miter saw?

I plan on putting some hardwood floors in my house in the next month
or so, and it's a perfect opportunity to buy a miter saw. I looked at
a Dewalt compound miter saw that seemed pretty good for I believe
$300, but then right next to it, we have a sliding miter saw. What's
the advantage? Why would I need one? Will it just cut a wider board?

Rich

Larry,

The sliding miter saw is better, obviously this is why the extra cost. For
me as a "woodworker" I would rather have the slider but at the time regular
was what I got. The advantage is you can cut the occasional wider board.

I have found out that the slider is better for me when I am doing "fine"
woodworking. This enables me to make finish cuts on wider boards without the
hassle of flipping the board and trying to line up the previous cut. For
"rough" carpentry etc it is not a big deal since your tolerances are larger.

Will you be doing serious woodoworking in the future?
Are any of your hardwood floor cuts beyond the capacity of the standard
miter saw?
The last hard wood floor I saw installed they used a skill saw. I was
surprised.

Also Lowes is having a 20% off sale on saws this weekend only. Check it out.

My 2 cents.
Sincerely,
Rich

Bay Area Dave

Dan, perhaps this is just the FIRST project he'll use it for, and is
thinking ahead to his needs to cut boards much wider than hardwood floor
planks. I borrowed a 10" miter saw to cut 8+" wide boards one day, and
found to my dismay that it wouldn't cut them in one pass. A couple days
later, I became the happy owner of a 12" miter saw...

dave

Dan Parrell wrote:

First ask yourself why do you need a sliding compound miter saw,if you are
only planning on installing a hard wood floor.

"Larry Bud" wrote in message
m...

I plan on putting some hardwood floors in my house in the next month
or so, and it's a perfect opportunity to buy a miter saw. I looked at
a Dewalt compound miter saw that seemed pretty good for I believe
$300, but then right next to it, we have a sliding miter saw. What's
the advantage? Why would I need one? Will it just cut a wider board?

Dan Parrell

I have the Delta compound miter as well as the Bosch sliding compound miter
that ones my baby. I made a perfect station c/w rip fence cabinet and put
it on wheels.Some of the advantages are precise laps joints and dadoes in
thick stock.I bought the delta when I installed newel posts,balusters and
hard wood flooring in my home but realized later on that it had it's limited
uses.If I had my time back I would not have bought it,but then again it's
great to drag out doors for other projects and it prolongs the life of the
other more expensive saw.
I guess to each his own.
. ..

Dan Parrell wrote:

First ask yourself why do you need a sliding compound miter saw,if you

are
only planning on installing a hard wood floor.

"Larry Bud" wrote in message
m...

I plan on putting some hardwood floors in my house in the next month
or so, and it's a perfect opportunity to buy a miter saw. I looked at
a Dewalt compound miter saw that seemed pretty good for I believe
$300, but then right next to it, we have a sliding miter saw. What's
the advantage? Why would I need one? Will it just cut a wider board?

B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 21:24:57 GMT, Howard wrote:

(Larry Bud) wrote:

a Dewalt compound miter saw that seemed pretty good for I believe
$300, but then right next to it, we have a sliding miter saw. What's

I'm thinking about getting this one for $144:
http://www.suzyqshop.com/product.asp?0=51&1=52&3=3187

That scares me. G The whole idea of a miter saw is accuracy. If
it's not accurate, you might as well use a hand held circular saw and
eyeball the cut.

Look around the 'net, you may be able to get a very nice, brand name
saw, reconditioned, for about that or a few shillings more. PC,
Delta, DeWalt, and Bosch all sell recons via dealers. I've never
bought a reconditioned tool I didn't think was just as good as the new
version, after one job. G

Here's some examples:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000087BK3/ref=pd_sxp_elt_l1/103-5997910-6893431
http://store.yahoo.com/tylertool/rectool.html

They come and go from most dealer's shelves, but with some diligence,
you can get a good tool at a good price.

Barry
Edwin Pawlowski

"Howard" wrote in message
news

--
Howard

Personally, I won't buy a cheap no-name tool. Some private brands are very
good, but in this case, who knows? If you are going to use it to frame out
a shed, it is probably a good deal. If you are going to build nice
projects, furniture, etc, it is risky at best.

I have the DeWalt 12" that I bought for a flooring job. I could not justify
the extra cost of the slider, but this is a very accurate saw and the stock
blade give a good cut. Got mine at HD, but I saw it for $10 less at Coastal
Tools today.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

D. Martin

When I was shopping for a replacement I was convinced that I did not
need a slide model. Well Idid get the 10" sliding model and I do not
regret it at all. I find that it gets used more combined with table
saw it sort of replaces a radial arm saw in most cases. I got the
Bosch and have been buying Bosch ever since.

D.Martin

On 20 Dec 2003 11:37:40 -0800, (Larry Bud)
wrote:

I plan on putting some hardwood floors in my house in the next month
or so, and it's a perfect opportunity to buy a miter saw. I looked at
a Dewalt compound miter saw that seemed pretty good for I believe
$300, but then right next to it, we have a sliding miter saw. What's
the advantage? Why would I need one? Will it just cut a wider board?

Larry Bud

Bay Area Dave wrote in message ...
Dan, perhaps this is just the FIRST project he'll use it for, and is
thinking ahead to his needs to cut boards much wider than hardwood floor
planks. I borrowed a 10" miter saw to cut 8+" wide boards one day, and
found to my dismay that it wouldn't cut them in one pass. A couple days
later, I became the happy owner of a 12" miter saw...

Thanks for the responses. Yes, I have been pretty serious in WW for
the last year. Made many hardwood projects, and figure this is my
next tool. I thought the sliding feature was for larger capacity,
and you all have confirmed my suspicions!

Thx.
Andy

The other advantage is the better range of angle mitre cuts - up to 60
degrees on the slider. I second the Bosch too. Prfer it over my friends
DeWalt slider. Except for the damn dust collection. I think I have yet to
get ANY sawdust it that bag...

"Larry Bud" wrote in message
m...
I plan on putting some hardwood floors in my house in the next month
or so, and it's a perfect opportunity to buy a miter saw. I looked at
a Dewalt compound miter saw that seemed pretty good for I believe
$300, but then right next to it, we have a sliding miter saw. What's
the advantage? Why would I need one? Will it just cut a wider board?

John Manders

I've not got one but the cheaper ones I've seen lack rigidity. A slight
sideways pressure will move the saw and that will affect cut lengths. If you
are going to get one check the sideways rigidity.

John

"Andy" wrote in message
The other advantage is the better range of angle mitre cuts - up to 60
degrees on the slider. I second the Bosch too. Prfer it over my friends
DeWalt slider. Except for the damn dust collection. I think I have yet to
get ANY sawdust it that bag...

m...