Posted to rec.woodworking

Default glue vs pin nail strips of wood to veneer plywood?

I need to attach 4ft long strips of 1.5"x 3/8" QS White Oak to the
surface of 1/4" QS White Oak veneer plywood.

Can I attach it using construction adhesive or do I need to worry
about shrinkage and instead stick with 23ga pin nailing?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"blueman" wrote in message
I need to attach 4ft long strips of 1.5"x 3/8" QS White Oak to the
surface of 1/4" QS White Oak veneer plywood.

Can I attach it using construction adhesive or do I need to worry
about shrinkage and instead stick with 23ga pin nailing?

If you seal the wood with a varnish to control moisture content movement
should be minimal. The adhesive in either case is more likely to hold than
23 gauge pins

Posted to rec.woodworking

"blueman" wrote:

I need to attach 4ft long strips of 1.5"x 3/8" QS White Oak to the
surface of 1/4" QS White Oak veneer plywood.

Can I attach it using construction adhesive or do I need to worry
about shrinkage and instead stick with 23ga pin nailing?

Construction adhesive?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

"blueman" wrote:

I need to attach 4ft long strips of 1.5"x 3/8" QS White Oak to the
surface of 1/4" QS White Oak veneer plywood.

Can I attach it using construction adhesive or do I need to worry
about shrinkage and instead stick with 23ga pin nailing?

Construction adhesive?

Wouldn't that stuff look great where globs of it ooze out of the edges of
the oak strips. Perhaps you should do what Norm does, use carpenter's glue
and hold it in place with your pin nailer until the glue dries.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"blueman" wrote
I need to attach 4ft long strips of 1.5"x 3/8" QS White Oak to the
surface of 1/4" QS White Oak veneer plywood.

Can I attach it using construction adhesive or do I need to worry
about shrinkage and instead stick with 23ga pin nailing?

Keep in mind that QSWO will move less in width than most woods (an
approximate maximum 1/64" expansion/contraction in width for your 1 1/2"
stock, depending upon the part of the country you live in. That's not much,
and probably even less after it's finished

If I understand your application correctly, my instinct, based on your
description, would be to apply a good wood glue to the middle third of the
1.5"x 3/8" and use your pin nailer to fasten them in place until the glue
dries.

That should at least pay some homage to the wood movement gods ...

Strictly my tuppence/FWIW ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 13, 9:19*am, blueman wrote:
I need to attach 4ft long strips of 1.5"x 3/8" QS White Oak to the
surface of 1/4" QS White Oak veneer plywood.

Can I attach it using construction adhesive or do I need to worry
about shrinkage and instead stick with 23ga pin nailing?

I would use regular woodworkers yellow glue like titebond...

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

blueman wrote:
I need to attach 4ft long strips of 1.5"x 3/8" QS White Oak to the
surface of 1/4" QS White Oak veneer plywood.

Can I attach it using construction adhesive or do I need to worry
about shrinkage and instead stick with 23ga pin nailing?

Construction adhesive? Ugly & messy if it squeezes out. Glue would do
better. With either you would have to hold the wood in place until the
adhesive sets; that could be done with your brads or simply crosswise strips
of masking tape.

Wood movement? NP on ply.

Brads or adhesive? Your choice. Brads make holes, holes have to be filled
but will always show.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

dadiOH wrote:
blueman wrote:
I need to attach 4ft long strips of 1.5"x 3/8" QS White Oak to the
surface of 1/4" QS White Oak veneer plywood.

Can I attach it using construction adhesive or do I need to worry
about shrinkage and instead stick with 23ga pin nailing?

Construction adhesive? Ugly & messy if it squeezes out. Glue would
do better. With either you would have to hold the wood in place
until the adhesive sets; that could be done with your brads or
simply
crosswise strips of masking tape.

Wood movement? NP on ply.

Brads or adhesive? Your choice. Brads make holes, holes have to be
filled but will always show.

FWIW, a few drops of cyanoacrylate ("Krazy Glue" etc) can hold the
pieces in alignment until the regular glue sets. You only have to
hold the cyanoacrylate for 30 seconds or so.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in message
blueman wrote:

Brads or adhesive? Your choice. Brads make holes, holes have to be
filled but will always show.

He said nothing about "brads", he mentioned 23 gauge pins. These are very
similar to straight pins and seldom have to be filled especially in Oak.