Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Reasons for not using cedar in furniture

Was curious as to some opinions about using cedar to make furniture. I was
taught that it wasn't generally a good idea, but I wanted some other
opinions and/or concurrence. I don't really remember the reasons I was
given, which is another reason I'm asking :P

But anyway, I'd love to hear from you guys about it...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 5, 11:40 pm, DanielMatt wrote:
Was curious as to some opinions about using cedar to make furniture. I was
taught that it wasn't generally a good idea, but I wanted some other
opinions and/or concurrence. I don't really remember the reasons I was
given, which is another reason I'm asking :P

But anyway, I'd love to hear from you guys about it...

I can put it to you in a nutshell as far as my opinion goes. 30 years
ago when I was framing houses, we got old growth cedar that was heavy,
tight grained, and as hard as a medium pine. With few knots, it was
straight as you could imagine. It was sent to us for fascia, trims,
and cornice work.

The stuff that has been sold for the last 15 years or so is new growth
stuff, and it is pitiful. Larged grained and knotty, this stuff has
almost no resistance to the elements, much less insects. It swings
from soft and mealy when green (the way it is sold) to hard and
brittle when dry.

Overall, a waste of time. I think you would do better with just about
anything else on your project, and if you are making the furniture for
outside use, paint it no matter what wood it is.

As I said, my 0.02.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

DanielMatt wrote:
Was curious as to some opinions about using cedar to make furniture.
I was taught that it wasn't generally a good idea, but I wanted some
other opinions and/or concurrence. I don't really remember the
reasons I was given, which is another reason I'm asking :P

But anyway, I'd love to hear from you guys about it...

Not much reason to unless you're making outdoor furniture. Main
problem is that most varieties are quite soft and not very strong--you
can stick your fingernail in some of it. Finding a clear grade kiln
dried is another issue--it does exist but it's not commonplace and
you'll pay for it when you find it.

If you've got a local source get some stock and make a few small
pieces and see how you like the result.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6 May, 05:40, DanielMatt wrote:
Was curious as to some opinions about using cedar to make furniture.

What's "cedar"? There's a whole bunch of them, some good, some bad.
Some (the resinous rot-resistant sorts) I use for outdoor work, some
(the lightweights) only for indoor work, such as large portable
chests. Cedar of Lebanon I can't afford, Spanish cedar (sic) I can't
find.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 5, 11:40*pm, DanielMatt wrote:
Was curious as to some opinions about using cedar to make furniture. *I was
taught that it wasn't generally a good idea, but I wanted some other
opinions and/or concurrence. *I don't really remember the reasons I was
given, which is another reason I'm asking :P

But anyway, I'd love to hear from you guys about it...

I would only use cedar on out door projects and even then , I have
switched to Cypress or even oak,
In doors I would never use cedar unless I was linning a blanket chest
or a closet, but then it would only be a linner
Thats my 2 cents

Randy
http:nokeswoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 06 May 2008 00:40:59 -0400, DanielMatt wrote:

clip...

But anyway, I'd love to hear from you guys about it...

I've used western red cedar for small boxes. The wood is very soft and
can be brittle. Due to the softness of the stuff I get, I wouldn't use
it in furniture. Your experience may vary. I note that in the Pacific
Northwest it's used in a lot of things.

D. G. Adams
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 06 May 2008 21:39:50 -0500, dgadams
wrote:

On Tue, 06 May 2008 00:40:59 -0400, DanielMatt wrote:

clip...

But anyway, I'd love to hear from you guys about it...

I've used western red cedar for small boxes. The wood is very soft and
can be brittle. Due to the softness of the stuff I get, I wouldn't use
it in furniture. Your experience may vary. I note that in the Pacific
Northwest it's used in a lot of things.

D. G. Adams

A lot of outdoor furniture was made of cedar in years past.
We even had a "lawn swing" or "Glider" made of cedar on oak posts.
Basically just the seat slats were cedar.It splits easily and is soft
so not to be used where strength is critical.
My front porch, however, is ALL cedar.
Used to be a lot of house framing aroundhere was cedar. Now it's hard
to get good cedar in Canada - we ship all the good stuff to the US for
"rich yanks" to make their saunas etc!!!
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

We just ship it on to Japan!