How to get off paint overspray on metal and wood and rubber

Old May 3rd 08, 03:26 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to get off paint overspray on metal and wood and rubber

I have a nice tool that has a lot of paint overspray, how can I soften that
paint and then of course I like to clean it up. It is partially on wood,
metal and rubber.....many thanks in advance......Peter

Old May 3rd 08, 04:08 AM posted to rec.woodworking

"pmaston" wrote in message
I have a nice tool that has a lot of paint overspray, how can I soften that
paint and then of course I like to clean it up. It is partially on wood,
metal and rubber.....many thanks in advance......Peter

Depends on the paint. Many won't soften and have to be mechanically removed
or with a strong paint remover that may cause other problems.

Old May 3rd 08, 04:11 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 2 May 2008 19:26:55 -0700, "pmaston"
wrote:

I have a nice tool that has a lot of paint overspray, how can I soften that
paint and then of course I like to clean it up. It is partially on wood,
metal and rubber.....many thanks in advance......Peter

Hi Peter,

Is the paint on bare wood, metal, and rubber?

If so, I would try a gel type stripper (such as "3M Safest
Stripper.")

I have had good luck with it in similar situations (on wood
and metal that is). The rubber could be a concern, but the
label might help you to determine the safety on that sort of
material.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Old May 3rd 08, 01:30 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"pmaston" wrote in message
I have a nice tool that has a lot of paint overspray, how can I soften that
paint and then of course I like to clean it up. It is partially on wood,
metal and rubber.....many thanks in advance......Peter

Try Goof Off sold in many paint departments.

Old May 3rd 08, 02:26 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"pmaston" wrote in message
I have a nice tool that has a lot of paint overspray, how can I soften that
paint and then of course I like to clean it up. It is partially on wood,
metal and rubber.....many thanks in advance......Peter

I have used Goof Off 2 successfully to remove latex paint overspray.

Bought it at Lowes.

Old May 4th 08, 08:08 PM posted to rec.woodworking

If it were me, I'd use lacquer thinner.

You didn't say exactly what the tool IS... it might help.
Or post a photo of it in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Kate

Old May 4th 08, 08:11 PM posted to rec.woodworking

One more note, in body shops (used to own one many years ago) we used
lacquer thinner on metal and rubber.
Steel wool on glass and chrome (0000 - very fine)

Use a piece of old T-shirt and don't get too wet with it.
When you're all done wash evrything well and if you need to, condition the
rubber.

K.

Old May 4th 08, 08:19 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Kate wrote:

One more note, in body shops (used to own one many years ago) we used
lacquer thinner on metal and rubber.
Steel wool on glass and chrome (0000 - very fine)

Use a piece of old T-shirt and don't get too wet with it.
When you're all done wash evrything well and if you need to,
condition the rubber.

K.

Dont use thinners on anything plastic like body trims headlamp units
door handles etc