Todd Seidenberg

Default lining up drawer supports in cabinet carcass

Hi,

I am building a changing table for the child my wife and I are
expecting. I've decided to build it with three large drawers on one
side, and a door and drawer on the other, taller side.

I've built the face frame, and I've cut all the pieces for the
carcass. I've also built lap jointed rectangluar drawer supports that
the drawers will rest on.

So the question is, how do I line up the drawer suppoorts from front
to back, so that they are level, and square? Is there some trick to
it? How do I ensure that the cleats that attach to the carcass to hold
the supports are in the correct position?

Any help would be appreciated.

- Thanks,

Todd
Scott Cramer

On 15 Dec 2003, Todd Seidenberg spake unto rec.woodworking:

I am building a changing table for the child my wife and I are
expecting. I've decided to build it with three large drawers on one
side, and a door and drawer on the other, taller side.

I've built the face frame, and I've cut all the pieces for the
carcass. I've also built lap jointed rectangluar drawer supports that
the drawers will rest on.

So the question is, how do I line up the drawer suppoorts from front
to back, so that they are level, and square? Is there some trick to
it? How do I ensure that the cleats that attach to the carcass to hold
the supports are in the correct position?

Put the carcase sides together, side by side, on your bench, with the
back edges together. Measure down from the top on each outside edge, to
the cleat position, and clamp a straightedge across the marks. You can
then glue, or screw, or glue and screw, or fasten the cleats in whatever
fashion you desire, and both sides will match.
Nova

Todd Seidenberg wrote:

So the question is, how do I line up the drawer suppoorts from front
to back, so that they are level, and square? Is there some trick to
it? How do I ensure that the cleats that attach to the carcass to hold
the supports are in the correct position?

Often there are jigs available to assist in the installation of the
slides. Here's one example"

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/findprod.cfm?sku=5553

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Swingman

Among the other good ideas, consider cutting some appropriately sized
'spacers' out of scrap, one or more for each side.

Batch cut them so they are precisely the same size for each
application/opening, and start from a common point.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

"Todd Seidenberg" wrote in message

So the question is, how do I line up the drawer suppoorts from front
to back, so that they are level, and square? Is there some trick to
it? How do I ensure that the cleats that attach to the carcass to hold
the supports are in the correct position?

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike in Mystic

There are a multitude of ways to approach this. Since you're using a face
frame, I would cut dadoes into the sides on the table saw. Cut adjacent
grooves at the same time on corresponding parts, and they will be perfectly
aligned (make sure you run the same edge against the fence each time). When
you put on the face frame, the dado won't show through. Fit the drawer
supports to these dadoes, and you'll have a very secure joint for the
drawers to be supported by.

Mike

"Todd Seidenberg" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

I am building a changing table for the child my wife and I are
expecting. I've decided to build it with three large drawers on one
side, and a door and drawer on the other, taller side.

I've built the face frame, and I've cut all the pieces for the
carcass. I've also built lap jointed rectangluar drawer supports that
the drawers will rest on.

So the question is, how do I line up the drawer suppoorts from front
to back, so that they are level, and square? Is there some trick to
it? How do I ensure that the cleats that attach to the carcass to hold
the supports are in the correct position?

Any help would be appreciated.

- Thanks,

Todd

Earl Creel

The approach I use is to follow this sequence in the construction of a
cabinet of any kind that contains a drawer:
1. Build the carcass.
2. Build and attach the face frame:
3. Build or buy the drawer slides/supports
4. Build the drawer(s) to fit the openings in the face frame. The size of
the drawer must be reduced to include space for the slides if they are side
mounted.
5. Temporarily attach the slides into position (clamps usually will work)
then insert the drawer and adjust the position of the slides so that drawer
is centered in opening and the drawer front touches the face frame on all
four sides when closed. Slide the drawer in and out to be sure you have
smooth sliding action without excessive looseness. When satisfied with fit
permanently anchor the slides/drawer supports.
Earl Creel