MHaseltine

Default Silly Question about Jigs - --

Last Saturday I was at an auction and was looking at the tools which happened
to be inside . Another person was also broswing. The owner had made a number
of wodden jigs for his table saw ranging from a miter sled to a tennoning jig.
Just to make conversation with the other person, I stated that the owner and
been rather prolific and had a lot of jigs to go with the saw. The person gave
me that knowing look and said "their fixtures - you need to be careful and not
call fixtures jigs" Well, my response was I'm a bit of a newbie at his (which
is true) but everything I have read and heard refers to these things as jigs -
fixtures is a new way of naming these things"

Well, my silly question is, "Are these jigs or fixtures?"

Michael
Swingman

My bet is that in the machine shop, and in the machinist' world, the
difference is probably more pronounced/important/politically correct than it
is in woodworking.

There is, at least semantically, a difference. To paraphrase, precisely, one
of my old books: "A jig is a device used to maintain mechanically the
correct positional relationship between a piece of work and the tool or
between parts of work during assembly, and a fixture is a device for
supporting work during machining."

Then again, I/it could be all wet.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

"MHaseltine" wrote in message
[...]

DJ Delorie

"Swingman" writes:

My bet is that in the machine shop, and in the machinist' world, the
difference is probably more pronounced/important/politically correct than it
is in woodworking.

There is, at least semantically, a difference. To paraphrase, precisely, one
of my old books: "A jig is a device used to maintain mechanically the
correct positional relationship between a piece of work and the tool or
between parts of work during assembly, and a fixture is a device for
supporting work during machining."

Then again, I/it could be all wet.

Maybe the difference is more subtle: "A jig is a device for holding
the wood relative to the tool, and a fixture is a jig used by people
who think they know the difference."

IMHO, if it moves, it can't be a FIXture, because it's not fixed in
place.

OTOH, if it doesn't dance, can it be a jig?

Ok, I'll quit now. Here's my excuse for bad puns (warning - lots of
photos on this page): http://www.delorie.com/photos/shed/ (note the
snow in the last few pictures - sigh)

I used a lot of jigs building that. They danced out of my hands a few
times.
Bob Gramza

That makes the figs then.

:
: There is, at least semantically, a difference. To paraphrase, precisely, one
: of my old books: "A jig is a device used to maintain mechanically the
: correct positional relationship between a piece of work and the tool or
: between parts of work during assembly, and a fixture is a device for
: supporting work during machining."
:
: Then again, I/it could be all wet.
:
: --
: www.e-woodshop.net
: Last update: 9/21/03
:
[...]

Pounds on Wood

His "knowing look" probably had more to do with the racial connotation that
jig carries. Pretty silly to my way of thinking, in this day and time. In
my experience the "knowing look" is usually accompanied by a snicker or SEG,
and usually comes from a racist. Flames welcomed.

--
Bill Pounds
http://www.bill.pounds.net/woodshop

[...]

Jay Windley

"MHaseltine" wrote in message

| Well, my silly question is, "Are these jigs or fixtures?"

Basic difference: a fixture holds/guides the stock; a jig holds/guides the
tool.

A fixture is a device used to hold stock in place while you work on it. A
vise, by this definition, is a sort of universal fixture. Assignment #1,
first week of class: design a fixture for a brake disc. Classical
solution: first square the stock, then use a generic square fixture to hold
the stock while you drill the radial hole pattern, then make a fixture with
the same hole pattern and bolt the stock to it while you machine the profile
(grooves/holes, circular outline, etc.). And yes, this is metalworking, not
woodworking, but the definition ought still to apply.

A jig may be a fixture in that to do its job it must also secure the
workpiece. But the primary role of the jig is to guide the tool, whether or
not it also secures the stock. In the modern manufacturing world where you
can have CNC machinery the notion of a jig is somewhat outdated. You just
tell the tool where to go, and how fast, and it happens. In our world,
where we have generalized hand-controlled tools, jigs take the form of
pocket-hole devices, router templates, guide rails, etc. that constrain the
motion of the tool to the path we wish it to follow.

A pocket-hole jig is an example of a jig that doesn't also need to be a
fixture. You fasten the jig to the workpiece and it guides the tool, but
the stock can be held any way necessary or comfortable. Some dovetail jigs
also function as fixtures because they hold the stock in place (since you'll
have both hands on the router) as well as guide the router through a
profile.

"Fixture" would be the proper term associated with holding stock for use in
a table saw. Many CNC systems also work by moving the stock, so "fixturing"
need not be interpreted as "holding the workpiece stationary" but rather by
holding the workpiece firm in a certain coordinate system of the tool. If a
tool works by moving a platform -- with workpiece attached -- along a path
relative to a stationary cutting bit, then a "fixture" would ensure that the
workpiece does not move relative to the platform.

--Jay

Swingman

My book said basically the same thing, only a hell of a lot less windley.

gd&r

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

"Jay Windley" wrote in message

A fixture is a device used to hold stock in place while you work on it. A
vise, by this definition, is a sort of universal fixture. Assignment #1,

snip

James D Kountz

This sounds to me like one of those freaking irritating know it all type of
people who feel they MUST correct everyone all the time so everyone else
will talk like they do. Their way is correct, everyone else is wrong. These
idiots really gripe my ass ya know? Its not like the creep didn't know what
you were talking about, he just had to correct you anyway. Its some sort of
compulsive thing I guess. Jig, fixture who cares? I would have known fully
well what you were speaking of if I had been the other guy, therefore no
correction from me would have been necessary at all.

Jim

[...]

MHaseltine

Thank you all for the information - I really hadn't heard the use of the word
"fixture" before but then I am a newbie and haven't worked in a production
shop.

Again a geniune thanks
Michael
George M. Kazaka

Been making sawdust for 48 years and never heard of anything but jigs and I
didn't read a book to get this info.
Have never heard another woodworker call them anything else either
But when you really come down to it does it really matter what you call them
???
Doohickey sounds good, so does thingamafrig Geez I hope I haven't insulted
anyone here

[...]

Jay Windley

"James D Kountz" wrote in message

| Jig, fixture who cares?

I really don't, prior post nothwithstanding. None of my mechanical
engineering and machinist colleagues care. They all use "jig" and "fixture"
interchangeably ("jig" mostly).

I know the difference, but I don't often respect the difference. Especially
with the kind of tooling I deal with, the differences aren't usually
important. The original poster asked if he had been looking at "jigs" or
"fixtures". Well, if you *really* have to know the difference, there's a
way to tell, and I used to have to teach this so I know the difference.

But the guy who's saying, "You need to be careful and not call jigs
fixtures," is vastly overstating the issue. If you said something like that
around our manufacturers they'd laugh and accuse you of being some sort of
Tool Nazi.

If you want to call a jig a fixture, or a fixture a jig, or call it all
"tooling" (which I do a lot), or point to it and call it a "thinga-ma-bob",
you'll probably find me doing it right alongside you.

--Jay

Juergen Hannappel

"Jay Windley" writes:

"MHaseltine" wrote in message

| Well, my silly question is, "Are these jigs or fixtures?"

Basic difference: a fixture holds/guides the stock; a jig holds/guides the
tool.

So a "sharpening jig" would really be a "sharpening fixture", since it
holds the stock (i.e. the blade to be sharpened) and not the tool (the
sharpening stone)?

Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23
Swingman

http://miva3.synergydns.net/Merchant...ols-term-multi

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

"Juergen Hannappel" wrote in message
So a "sharpening jig" would really be a "sharpening fixture", since it
holds the stock (i.e. the blade to be sharpened) and not the tool (the
sharpening stone)?

Hylourgos

CW,

I'm not certain but I'll give it a shot. In the same vein as
California's recent attempt to remove hurtful and politically
incorrect language (e.g., slave, as in "slave-cylinder"--gotta laugh
at that one) from all areas of public discourse, POW imagines that the
other WW's "knowing look" was the product of his own (racist)
politically correct ideology, stemming from his understanding of the
word jig as a racial derogatory (shortened form of "jigaboo"). A
kinder judgment of the other WW might see him as trying to be (overly)
sensitive, but I guess it depends where you stand on the "politically
correct" issue.

Jig has been a common term among rednecks for a long time. See a brief
explanation of it, and other such, at:

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m.../article.jhtml

H.

"CW" wrote in message news:KYvCb.331162$Dw6.1111058@attbi_s02...
[...]

CW

I've lived in the heart of Red-neckville for twenty years and never heard
the term. As it is a long standing legitimate term with no racist overtones,
I can only guess that it is one of those things that people think long and
hard to find a way to be offended by it.

"Hylourgos" wrote in message
om...
CW,

Jig has been a common term among rednecks for a long time. See a brief
explanation of it, and other such, at:

Larry Blanchard

In article m,
says...

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message

I agree that most folks have never heard the racial slur, so it's an
ovrreaction to object to "jig" used in either of it's normal definitions.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=jigaboo

So it's in the dictionary. So is "buggywhip". And your point is?

--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?
Hylourgos

I've lived mostly in NV, NC, and TN, and I've heard it a good deal, as
a racist term mostly in its full form but sometimes the shortened
form, in lots of discourse--guess I've been keepin' worse company....

I don't see any harm in "jig" when the context is obviously
mechanical, but then again I'm not black and I don't have to worry
about being sensitive to those kinds of names. I won't presume to say
what should or should not be a sensitive issue for someone else.

If the context were in doubt I'd be happy to use the word fixture if
that makes someone else less defensive. No skin off my back...

Trying to keep my dogmas unfixed,

"CW" wrote in message news:BtNCb.533006$HS4.4072535@attbi_s01...
I've lived in the heart of Red-neckville for twenty years and never heard
the term. As it is a long standing legitimate term with no racist overtones,
I can only guess that it is one of those things that people think long and
hard to find a way to be offended by it.

"Hylourgos" wrote in message
om...
CW,

Jig has been a common term among rednecks for a long time. See a brief
explanation of it, and other such, at:

D. J. Dorn

One of my closest friends is an older black man. It's been said that this
group is the most sensitive because they have lived through a very
deameaning time and were the primary targets.

Knowing I work with wood and have often used the term "jig" in his presence.
He sees the term for the context that it was delivered and takes no offense.
Of course, he can only speak for himself and I agree with the person that
said he could use the term "fixture" just as easy if it will spare feelings.
While I think that political correctness can go to far, we all have to
decide which side of the mountain to die on and this just isn't a show
stopper for me.

Don

"CW" wrote in message
So any word that can be rearranged to mean a racial term should not be

used.
Who comes up with this idiocy?

om...

"CW" wrote in message

I've lived in the heart of Red-neckville for twenty years and never

heard
the term. As it is a long standing legitimate term with no racist

overtones,
I can only guess that it is one of those things that people think long

and
hard to find a way to be offended by it.

"Hylourgos" wrote in message
om...
CW,

Jig has been a common term among rednecks for a long time. See a

brief
explanation of it, and other such, at:

PM6564

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
In article m,
says...

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message

I agree that most folks have never heard the racial slur, so it's an
ovrreaction to object to "jig" used in either of it's normal

definitions.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=jigaboo

So it's in the dictionary. So is "buggywhip". And your point is?

Well, I thought that people might want to know the definition for reference.
Didn't know you were gonna stick a 2x4 down your panties and turn it 30
times.

CW

"PM6564" wrote in message
.com...

Well, I thought that people might want to know the definition for

reference.
Didn't know you were gonna stick a 2x4 down your panties and turn it 30
times.

You gave a definition of a another word than what was being discussed.
So by your reasoning, best and bestiality mean the same thing.

Hylourgos

Hi CW,

I'm not sure what you mean by "rearranged" so I can't speak to that.

I'm in love with Norma Loquendi (pace Safire) and historical
linguistics, though, so my interest in the many different ways that
words acquire and change meanings has its practical uses.

I despise political correctness, which I *think* is what you're
referring to. My point speaks to a simple "do unto others..."
approach. That, and the fact that I grew up with minorities as
friends, has taught me not to pretend a knowledge of what should or
should not make someone else offended, until I understand them
sufficiently.

I'm not, BTW arguing for the abolition of the word jig, as you'll note
from my original post. I was just explaining why another WW might have
made the point he did with a knowing glance.

"CW" wrote in message news:Rt7Db.542739$HS4.4130182@attbi_s01...
So any word that can be rearranged to mean a racial term should not be used.
Who comes up with this idiocy?

om...

"CW" wrote in message

I've lived in the heart of Red-neckville for twenty years and never

heard
the term. As it is a long standing legitimate term with no racist

overtones,
I can only guess that it is one of those things that people think long

and
hard to find a way to be offended by it.

"Hylourgos" wrote in message
om...
CW,

Jig has been a common term among rednecks for a long time. See a brief
explanation of it, and other such, at:

PM6564

"CW" wrote in message
newsymDb.399643$275.1266973@attbi_s53...

"PM6564" wrote in message
.com...

Well, I thought that people might want to know the definition for

reference.
Didn't know you were gonna stick a 2x4 down your panties and turn it 30
times.

You gave a definition of a another word than what was being discussed.
So by your reasoning, best and bestiality mean the same thing.

What do you think the root of the word is? The word in question was jig
(as used as an ethnic slur) It's root word is jigaboo. Kind of like yank
and yankee.

CW

You're reaching. There seems to be a group of people that, for lack of a
real life, sit around and try to find something to be offended by.
You appear to be one of those. Bye. Plonk.

"PM6564" wrote in message
.com...

"CW" wrote in message
newsymDb.399643$275.1266973@attbi_s53...

"PM6564" wrote in message
.com...

Well, I thought that people might want to know the definition for

reference.
Didn't know you were gonna stick a 2x4 down your panties and turn it

30
times.

You gave a definition of a another word than what was being discussed.
So by your reasoning, best and bestiality mean the same thing.

What do you think the root of the word is? The word in question was jig
(as used as an ethnic slur) It's root word is jigaboo. Kind of like yank
and yankee.

Silvan

PM6564 wrote:

What do you think the root of the word is? The word in question was jig
(as used as an ethnic slur) It's root word is jigaboo. Kind of like yank
and yankee.

Is it? Do you have any interesting sources to substantiate that, or is that
just folk etymology?

I have a dictionary with a pretty good amount of etymological information,
and it says nothing about the jig/jigaboo relationship in reference to any
of the definitions for "jig (1)" such as the dance (from /gigue/), a joke,
blah blah, "a device for guiding a tool or for holding machine work in
place." It has the jig/jigaboo thing for "jig (2)"

(American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 4th ed. BTW)

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

PM6564 wrote:
What do you think the root of the word is? The word in question
was jig (as used as an ethnic slur) It's root word is jigaboo. Kind
of like yank and yankee.

Main Entry: 1jig
Pronunciation: 'jig
Function: noun
Etymology: perhaps from Middle French giguer to frolic, from gigue fiddle, of
Germanic origin; akin to Old High German gIga fiddle; akin to Old Norse geiga to
turn aside
Date: circa 1560
1 a : any of several lively springy dances in triple rhythm b : music to which a
jig may be danced
2 : TRICK, GAME -- used chiefly in the phrase the jig is up
3 a : any of several fishing devices that are jerked up and down or drawn
through the water b : a device used to maintain mechanically the correct
positional relationship between a piece of work and the tool or between parts of
work during assembly c : a device in which crushed ore is concentrated or coal
is cleaned by agitating in water
- in jig time : in a short time : QUICKLY

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com

Attached Images

PM6564

"Silvan" wrote in message
PM6564 wrote:

[...]

Here's the first one I came across:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=jig

I tried to copy and paste it but it grabs everything including the HTML.
Could you explain your second part?

"the jig/jigaboo relationship in reference to any
of the definitions for "jig (1)" such as the dance (from /gigue/), a joke,
blah blah, "a device for guiding a tool or for holding machine work in
place." It has the jig/jigaboo thing for "jig (2)"

That confused the hell out of me.

PM6564

"CW" wrote in message
You're reaching. There seems to be a group of people that, for lack of a
real life, sit around and try to find something to be offended by.
You appear to be one of those. Bye. Plonk.

BWAHAHAHAHA I guess those "English as a second language" classes aren't
working out for you huh?.

Chris

"Pounds on Wood" wrote in message ...
His "knowing look" probably had more to do with the racial connotation that
jig carries. Pretty silly to my way of thinking, in this day and time. In
my experience the "knowing look" is usually accompanied by a snicker or SEG,
and usually comes from a racist. Flames welcomed.

FWIW I can second the racial connotation that jig (may) carry. While
I have never actually heard it used in that way, I remember some years
back (early 70s) when I would go ice fishing with my father.
"Jigging" was the act of fishing with a short pole and a small "jig"
with a "mousy" (a little grub). Periodically you quickly flick the
pole up and down to make the jig wiggle in the water. Anyway there
were a few fishermen who my father worked with (of the
African-American persuasion) that would only refer to it as "gigging"
(hard G). Dad had to explain to me that at some point in history the
word "jig" had a negative racial connotation. It was kind of obscure
then and that was 30 years ago.

There are many words that have or had negative connotations in the
past. I don't like the whole PC movement, but believe you should also
be sensitive to people's feelings and not just say "It's OK because
it's in the dictionary" cop out. I don't use the phrase "Call a spade
a spade" nor would I ever use the word "niggardly" even though they
both have legitimate meanings. I think most reasonable people can see
why. However unless I see wide spread use of the word "jig" in a
negative way, I will continue to use it to describe my fixtures (or
lack of - I have a large to-do list of jigs to make, but only a few
hanging around my shop).

-Chris

Jig:
A trolling bait, consisting of a bright spoon and a hook attached

fits, eh?