Michael S.

Default OT? can drywall be used in place of suspended ceiling tiles?

Sorry, but could not locate a ng about remodeling. I am going to create a
home theater room in the basement and due to the subwoofage, regular 2x2 ft.
suspended ceiling tile will vibrate and needs to be topped with random
pieces of drywall. As a money-saving shortcut, would it be possible to cut
2x2 ft. pieces of half inch drywall and use in the place of ceiling tile in
a suspended ceiling?? TIA

Michael S.

???

I would say no, too heavy. Have you considered rather than a drop ceiling,
using drywall on the ceiling? You could sandwitch rubber strips between the
drywall and the joists. Then either use heavy insulation or even better, use
the heavy spray expanding insulation.

I personally do not like the look of a drop ceiling. It looks too unfinished
and cheap.

But that is just my opinion.

Erik

Yes, you can but the suspended weight will be excessive and the cut ends will
shower drywall dust. Why not use the retainer clips you can get for suspended
ceilings?

--
Erik "Grumpa" Ahrens
Apprentice Termite

"Michael S." wrote in message
Sorry, but could not locate a ng about remodeling. I am going to create a
home theater room in the basement and due to the subwoofage, regular 2x2 ft.
suspended ceiling tile will vibrate and needs to be topped with random
pieces of drywall. As a money-saving shortcut, would it be possible to cut
2x2 ft. pieces of half inch drywall and use in the place of ceiling tile in
a suspended ceiling?? TIA

Michael S.

Mike Alexander

??? wrote:

I personally do not like the look of a drop ceiling. It looks too unfinished
and cheap.

But that is just my opinion.

I agree that drywall would probably be too heavy for a drop ceiling, but
I personally wouldn't recommend drywalling the ceiling. I agree
drywalled ceilings look much better, and much more finished, but my
basement ceiling was drywalled by the previous home owner. I curse and
swear at that ceiling, and threaten to rip it down every time I want to
run a new wire of some type. Maybe it's not so bad if you do your own
wiring before putting up the drywall, but I will never buy a house with
an already drywalled basement ceiling again.

....Mike

Gena Dahilig

George M. Kazaka

Yes but you do not even have to cut them Drywall tiles are standard with a
vinyl sheet over them
they are used in the resturant business so they can be cleaned
Check with a proffesional ceiling tile distrubuter

Good Luck,
George
"Michael S." wrote in message
Sorry, but could not locate a ng about remodeling. I am going to create a
home theater room in the basement and due to the subwoofage, regular 2x2

ft.
suspended ceiling tile will vibrate and needs to be topped with random
pieces of drywall. As a money-saving shortcut, would it be possible to

cut
2x2 ft. pieces of half inch drywall and use in the place of ceiling tile

in
a suspended ceiling?? TIA

Michael S.

Jerry Gilreath

You, could go to a supplier of suspended ceilings and get the *blow proof
ceiling tiles. Basically drywall that has the ends papered up to prevent
dust spillage. I'm a phone and data wiring contractor, and run across these
types of tiles all the time. Especially in the meat departments and such in
Wal-marts, and in the kitchen areas of restaurants.

--
This space for rent.
Jerry© The Phoneman®
"Michael S." wrote in message
Sorry, but could not locate a ng about remodeling. I am going to create a
home theater room in the basement and due to the subwoofage, regular 2x2

ft.
suspended ceiling tile will vibrate and needs to be topped with random
pieces of drywall. As a money-saving shortcut, would it be possible to

cut
2x2 ft. pieces of half inch drywall and use in the place of ceiling tile

in
a suspended ceiling?? TIA

Michael S.

mttt

"Michael S." wrote in message

Sorry, but could not locate a ng about remodeling. I am going to create a
home theater room in the basement and due to the subwoofage, regular 2x2

ft.

Plenty of home theater newsgroups. Here's what I did in mine.
1) Run four times as many wires as you think you'll ever need
2) Design cable runs (large conduits) in case you need more
3) Put up a product called SoundBoard first
4) Drywall the ceiling

Soundboard is amazing stuff. Our HT is in the basement under the kitchen.
Really does a great job of knocking down the highs. Sub freq's are very
expensive to remove, but SoundBoard does reduce them slightly.

I assume you were thinking tiles in case you needed to run more wires. My
cable run took care of most of my worry.

Erik

Another point AGAINST sheetrock ceiling - In a home theater the acoustics off of
a sheetrock ceiling may be undesirable.
I have seen carpet squares glued to the ceiling, open celled foam and carpet
hung from a ceiling. All to prevent sound from bouncing off of to many walls. A
"hard-lid" like sheetrock would only accentuate the cross sound problems.
--

"Michael S." wrote in message
Sorry, but could not locate a ng about remodeling. I am going to create a
home theater room in the basement and due to the subwoofage, regular 2x2 ft.
suspended ceiling tile will vibrate and needs to be topped with random
pieces of drywall. As a money-saving shortcut, would it be possible to cut
2x2 ft. pieces of half inch drywall and use in the place of ceiling tile in
a suspended ceiling?? TIA

Michael S.

Andrew Barss

Michael S. wrote:
: Sorry, but could not locate a ng about remodeling. I am going to create a
: home theater room in the basement and due to the subwoofage, regular 2x2 ft.
: suspended ceiling tile will vibrate and needs to be topped with random
: pieces of drywall. As a money-saving shortcut, would it be possible to cut
: 2x2 ft. pieces of half inch drywall and use in the place of ceiling tile in
: a suspended ceiling?? TIA

To soundproof a wall or ceiling, either use Homosote (a sound-deadening
panel), or hang drywall with a metal strip whose name I can't recall.
Both will basically isolate your room from the other rooms it shares
joists with.

- Andy Barss

BUB 209

This won't help if you need access above
your ceiling, but if you're willing to tear out
the existing grid, there is a grid available
at ceiling supply houses that is made for
hanging full sheets of drywall from. Its
heavier than regular grid and made to
accept drywall screws through the
bottom. You get a nice flat ceiling
without the hassle of furring out joists,
and its reasonably priced.

bathroom ceiling Jim Walsh UK diy 4 April 28th 04 06:48 PM
Ceiling tiles. Jon Gilbert UK diy 1 December 4th 03 05:58 PM
Plasterboard Over Tiles Nibs UK diy 7 November 10th 03 10:23 PM
Suspended ceiling and LV spotlights Ady UK diy 0 September 29th 03 11:15 AM
wall tiles with 4mm depth: Can you get pvc edging that will fit these? William.R.Reisen UK diy 1 September 28th 03 06:38 PM