DIY dust collector with squirrel cage fan

Old December 3rd 03, 07:48 PM
Kevin

Default DIY dust collector with squirrel cage fan

Hello all,
(Also posted on rec.crafts woodturning)
Sometime back on this group I saw a link to a page that gave a fairly good
description of putting together a dust collector using the squirrle cage fan
and blower from a home furnace. Well I have just such a fan and motor and am
looking for some directions on how to put the thing together. What I have
is a .25 HP 115v motor. Fan is approx. 9.5" id. The whole unit weighs about
30lbs. I plan to build a frame around the motor and then a plywood box
around the frame and then either hang the thing from the ceiling, set it on
a stand or on the floor.
Some questions:
1. There is a black and a yellow wire coming from the motor. Is the first
the hot wire and the second the neutral?
2. I would like to use it at least inpart, to collect the dust from the
lathe when I sand. Would attaching a 4-6" tube to the input side of the dust
collector and the other end directly where the dust flies be a good idea?
3. I also have a rather cheap dust collector (.75 HP 750 CFM) I bought
sometime back. It has the original bag. Now I was wondering if replacing
the bag with heavy duty canvas would be an improvement? The canvas would be
the same as used in the old style army duffle bags - really heavy stuff.

Thanks

Old December 3rd 03, 08:56 PM
Dr. Deb

Your 1/4 horse motor is probably way too small. I realize
you desire to save the green stuff. I am getting ready to try something
that may increase the CFM of my Harbor Freight DC. I am going to add a
second bag to it. Will place two collector rings on top of a short plenum,
centered over the present collector ring. I am using a "Shaker Felt" bag
from Highland Hardware that is susposed to stop everything from .1 micron
up, once it builds up a dust cake. Seems to work well with the single bag
I have now. However, with a rate of 40-45 CFM per square foot of filter
area, the presnet bag limits me to about 600 CFM. Hopefullly, repeat
hopefully, the dual bag setup will get me somewhere near 1,200.

Deb