Latex Paint - Tacky/Sticky finish days after painting - Solutions?

Old April 1st 08, 11:01 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Latex Paint - Tacky/Sticky finish days after painting - Solutions?

I painted a birch plywood desk work surface with latex CIL SMART3 WASH &
WEAR Kitchen & Bath paint http://www.cil.ca/en/brands_smart.html (at the
suggestion of the HD paint guy) as he said it would give a durable washable
finish. The surface was first lightly sanded and primed with Kilz2 and then
two coats of black latex.

The issue I am having is that the paint surface seems to remain tacky/sticky
when items are placed on it then moved later. The surface is dry to the
touch but items do stick after a few minutes. From reading I understand
this may be an issue with latex paints and known as blocking. It has only
been 3 days since the final coat was put on so perhaps it is just an issue
of waiting longer for drying?

Is there anything I can do to get rid of or reduce this beyond repainting?
Will it go away after a week or so or will it remain for the live of the
paint? What about waxing or using talcum? Since the is a semigloss black
finish I wonder if talcum would cause a mess. For wax what would be the
bets to use?

Any other suggestions?

Old April 1st 08, 12:08 PM posted to rec.woodworking
JGS

I think what you are seeing is "blocking". Very common with latex paint.
Some people have reported having the problem for as long as five years.
As paint can take up to a month to cure (not just dry) you might want to
wait that long before you give up and strip or refinish the item. Sorry, JG

Old April 1st 08, 12:31 PM posted to rec.woodworking

schooner wrote:
I painted a birch plywood desk work surface with latex CIL SMART3
WASH & WEAR Kitchen & Bath paint
http://www.cil.ca/en/brands_smart.html (at the suggestion of the HD
paint guy) as he said it would give a durable washable finish. The
surface was first lightly sanded and primed with Kilz2 and then two
coats of black latex.

The issue I am having is that the paint surface seems to remain
tacky/sticky when items are placed on it then moved later. The
surface is dry to the touch but items do stick after a few minutes.
From reading I understand this may be an issue with latex paints
and known as blocking. It has only been 3 days since the final
coat was put on so perhaps it is just an issue of waiting longer
for drying?

Is there anything I can do to get rid of or reduce this beyond
repainting? Will it go away after a week or so or will it remain
for the live of the paint? What about waxing or using talcum?
Since the is a semigloss black finish I wonder if talcum would
cause a mess. For wax what would be the bets to use?

Home Depot strikes again.

The tackiness is because the paint isn't yet dry and won't be for
another month or two. Eventually, the sticky goes away. You can make
it go away now with a coat of water base polyurethane varnish. Which
would also be a *much* better finish for a desk than latex. I'd think
talc would work but not good on black. Don't know about wax, maybe.
Johnson's Paste wax is a good one.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Old April 1st 08, 12:36 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in message
schooner wrote:
I painted a birch plywood desk work surface with latex CIL SMART3
WASH & WEAR Kitchen & Bath paint
http://www.cil.ca/en/brands_smart.html (at the suggestion of the HD
paint guy) as he said it would give a durable washable finish. The
surface was first lightly sanded and primed with Kilz2 and then two
coats of black latex.

The issue I am having is that the paint surface seems to remain
tacky/sticky when items are placed on it then moved later. The
surface is dry to the touch but items do stick after a few minutes.
From reading I understand this may be an issue with latex paints
[...]

Thanks, that is about what I thought. Hopefully it will go away, I just
need a short term solution I guess for the next month or so as I do need to
make use of the surface.

Will a polyurethane finish go directly over the current surface as is? I'm
a bit concerned about how well it might stick as the current paint has
Teflon in it for easy cleanup. If so how long does the polyurethane take to
dry before it could be used?

Perhaps wax is my only real easy solution for now. Anything specific to look
for in a wax for a latex surface such as this?

Old April 1st 08, 12:52 PM posted to rec.woodworking

schooner wrote:
I painted a birch plywood desk work surface with latex CIL SMART3
WASH & WEAR Kitchen & Bath paint
http://www.cil.ca/en/brands_smart.html (at the suggestion of the HD
paint guy) as he said it would give a durable washable finish. The
surface was first lightly sanded and primed with Kilz2 and then two
coats of black latex.

The issue I am having is that the paint surface seems to remain
tacky/sticky when items are placed on it then moved later. The
surface is dry to the touch but items do stick after a few minutes.
From reading I understand this may be an issue with latex paints and
known as blocking. It has only been 3 days since the final coat was
put on so perhaps it is just an issue of waiting longer for drying?

Is there anything I can do to get rid of or reduce this beyond
repainting? Will it go away after a week or so or will it remain for
the live of the paint? What about waxing or using talcum? Since the
is a semigloss black finish I wonder if talcum would cause a mess.
For wax what would be the bets to use?

Any other suggestions?

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old April 1st 08, 01:49 PM posted to rec.woodworking

schooner wrote:
I painted a birch plywood desk work surface with latex CIL SMART3
WASH & WEAR Kitchen & Bath paint
http://www.cil.ca/en/brands_smart.html (at the suggestion of the HD
paint guy) as he said it would give a durable washable finish. The
surface was first lightly sanded and primed with Kilz2 and then two
coats of black latex.

The issue I am having is that the paint surface seems to remain
tacky/sticky when items are placed on it then moved later. The
surface is dry to the touch but items do stick after a few minutes.
From reading I understand this may be an issue with latex paints and
known as blocking. It has only been 3 days since the final coat was
put on so perhaps it is just an issue of waiting longer for drying?

Is there anything I can do to get rid of or reduce this beyond
repainting? Will it go away after a week or so or will it remain for
the live of the paint? What about waxing or using talcum? Since the
is a semigloss black finish I wonder if talcum would cause a mess.
For wax what would be the bets to use?

Any other suggestions?

It may or may not go away. Give it a couple of weeks and see what
happens. Looking at the paint you used, it's from Imperial Chemical
Industries, it's got Teflon and ceramic microspheres, it's won several
awards, so I don't think that the quality of the paint per se is the
issue. Was the piece above 70F and the humidity below 50% when you
painted? If it wasn't, then try warming the room and keeping it warm
for a week or so. May be too late but it won't hurt anything.

If you decide to try waxing it, Butchers Wax and Johnson Wax are both
good, silicone-free products with a long track record. If you can't
find either of those, go down to the local bowling alley and ask them
what they use and where to get it and it will probably be OK.

If you want a quick and permanent fix, find a paint store (not a store
that sells paint, but one where paint is their primary business) that
has a good brand of waterborne polyurethane, get some mixed in the
color you like, and overcoat with that. Should be able to get several
coats on in a day and the next day it should be ready to use. Make
sure you tell them what you are about so that you get the right primer
and sealcoat.

Old April 1st 08, 02:25 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
schooner wrote:
I painted a birch plywood desk work surface with latex CIL SMART3
WASH & WEAR Kitchen & Bath paint
http://www.cil.ca/en/brands_smart.html (at the suggestion of the HD
paint guy) as he said it would give a durable washable finish. The
surface was first lightly sanded and primed with Kilz2 and then two
coats of black latex.

The issue I am having is that the paint surface seems to remain
tacky/sticky when items are placed on it then moved later. The
surface is dry to the touch but items do stick after a few minutes.
From reading I understand this may be an issue with latex paints and
[...]

Thanks. The temp was around 68-70F, was painted in my basement which is
very dry and humidity is fairly low. I also ran the dehumidifier on full
the days they were painted and the day after as well. Perhaps I should just
keep it running full in the room with the painted surface.

From what I can see about the paint it is suppose to be good quality and
fairly durable, it may just be that it needs more drying time is all at this
point. I have a few things on it now (LCD monitor, keyboard, mouse, lamp)
as I need to use the surface but will try and keep most of it clear as long
as possible. Nothing is sticking yet to the point it is removing paint, it
just seems very tacky when anything is moved and I don't want to mark it up
if I can avoid it.

Old April 1st 08, 05:33 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 10:01:28 +0000, schooner wrote:

The issue I am having is that the paint surface seems to remain tacky/sticky
when items are placed on it then moved later.

Despite what others have said, the tackiness NEVER goes away. It just
takes longer and longer for items to stick. I've got some storage
cabinets that are about 10 years old and if I leave something sitting on
them for a month or more they stick.

My suggestion would be a barrier coat of dewaxed shellac and then poly or
varnish over that. If you use super blonde shellac and water based poly
it shouldn't change the color much.

Old April 1st 08, 07:13 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 10:01:28 +0000, schooner wrote:

The issue I am having is that the paint surface seems to remain
tacky/sticky when items are placed on it then moved later.

Despite what others have said, the tackiness NEVER goes away. It
just
takes longer and longer for items to stick. I've got some storage
cabinets that are about 10 years old and if I leave something
sitting
on them for a month or more they stick.

Depends on the quality of the paint. If it's decent quality
non-blocking latex then the tackiness does go away after a while.

Old April 1st 08, 07:34 PM posted to rec.woodworking

schooner wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
schooner wrote:
[...]

From what I can see about the paint it is suppose to be good
quality and fairly durable, it may just be that it needs more
drying time is all at this point. I have a few things on it now
(LCD monitor, keyboard, mouse, lamp) as I need to use the surface
but will try and keep most of it clear as long as possible.
Nothing is sticking yet to the point it is removing paint, it just
seems very tacky when anything is moved and I don't want to mark it
up if I can avoid it.

Set your things on waxed paper.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Peel-A-Way Paint Remover For Latex Paint: Any Good ? Robert11 Home Repair 0 July 16th 06 12:36 AM
Sticky finish problem Doug Woodworking 5 April 16th 06 11:28 AM
painting with latex bob kater Woodworking 4 March 25th 06 01:53 PM
Bathroom Ceiling Peeling After Painting With Latex Paint Mud Home Repair 0 November 27th 05 01:24 AM
Spray Painting - Latex willr Woodworking 4 September 25th 05 04:32 PM