Posted to rec.woodworking

Default white dust in the grain from final finish sanding

I have a client who likes his final coat sanded with the 500 grit pads.. He
likes it over my final rub which is steel wool and wool lube.. Yes his
approach is smoother, but because we are not using grain filler and don't
really want that look, and all of his pieces are dark woods, we end up with
that final sanding dust in the grain where it stays. I wet sand with mineral
spirits.. I wipe the piece dry and then apply a liberal amount of more
spirits and wash the piece off and then I use air, but still some dust gets
in the grain and stays.. I friend who is a finisher, say's yup, that can be
a problem. When it happens to him he will use a colored wax to cover up the
dust.. But he usually fills his grain, so it's not much of a problem..
One thought would be to try to spray a good sanding sealer firsts...
I use Campbells Duravar three coats..
Anyone else have this issue.. ?
Any thoughts ?

Joel

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

dwolf wrote:
I have a client who likes his final coat sanded with the 500 grit pads..

... but because we are not using grain filler ... we
end up with that final sanding dust in the grain ...

One thought would be to try to spray a good sanding sealer firsts...

I use Campbells Duravar three coats..
Anyone else have this issue.. ?
Any thoughts ?

Your thought is my first one -- on occasion have similar and only
solution I have is a bristle brush and more air. Have to try it to make
sure doesn't scratch your surface, however.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 26, 8:37 am, "dwolf" wrote:

I have a client who likes his final coat sanded with the 500 grit pads.. He
likes it over my final rub which is steel wool and wool lube.. Yes his
approach is smoother

I guess I don't get the desired end result. You smooth with
lubircated steel wool, and he sands it with something as coarse as 500
grit after you have smoothed with steel wool? I don't get it.

but because we are not using grain filler and don't
really want that look, and all of his pieces are dark woods,

Walnut? Black Ash? Stained Oak?

we end up with
that final sanding dust in the grain where it stays. I wet sand with mineral
spirits.. I wipe the piece dry and then apply a liberal amount of more
spirits and wash the piece off and then I use air, but still some dust gets
in the grain and stays.. I friend who is a finisher, say's yup, that can be
a problem.

Since you already have a satin finish, you can to be more aggressive
at cleaning the grain out. Put your cleaning agent on, and clean the
wood pores out with a super soft brass bristle brush like you use for
restoring fine woodwork. It is time consuming, but you will get the
pores cleaned out.

When it happens to him he will use a colored wax to cover up the
dust..

No comment. I personally wouldn't seal debris in my finish.

But he usually fills his grain, so it's not much of a problem..

A better solution.

One thought would be to try to spray a good sanding sealer firsts...

I sanding sealer will not do anything but the smallest pore filling,
and won't help you by simply putting on a coat under your finish.

I use Campbells Duravar three coats..
Anyone else have this issue.. ?
Any thoughts ?

If I was you, I would contact these folks:

http://www.mlcampbell.com/pages/technicalservices.asp

Good luck!

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 26, 7:37*am, "dwolf" wrote:
I have a client who likes his final coat sanded with the 500 grit pads..
we end up with
that final sanding dust in the grain where it stays.

Two good suggestions (bristle brush and brass brush) have already
been made. Two more are tack cloth (yeah, it's old
fashioned, but it WORKS) and plastic erasers (I really like
Staedtler-Mars Plastic erasers). Both work
by adhesion to the dust, and neither leaves any residue.

If your ventilation is good, you can try compressed air, too.
A little sunlight (or a UV lamp) would be recommendable,
because the dust can take on electrostatic charge and
get REALLY stubborn, The brass brush should discharge it
without the UV assist, of course.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 26, 10:37*am, "dwolf" wrote:
[...]

Is it dust or just torn wood fibers reflecting light to appear as
dust?
If so a cabinet scraper is the toll you need.