RogerN

Default About to buy Bandsaw & Jointer, Recommendations?

I've been shopping on the internet, reading reviews, etc. I'm close to
ordering an "Ultimate Bandsaw" Grizzly G0555 for $415 Shipped. Also I have
been looking at their Jointer G1182Z for $380 Shipped. I have read some
good reviews on both of these products. Are their better buys on similar
equipment that would be recommended?

I was at Lowes today, they have the Delta JT360 6" Jointer for $349 but I'm
not sure how this compares with the Grizzly, any recommendations?

Also, Lowes had the Delta SS200 scroll saw for $59, I bought one, hope it is
OK, if not, it will motivate me to fix the Hegner sooner.

Thanks!

"RogerN" wrote in message
link.net...

I've been shopping on the internet, reading reviews, etc. I'm close to
ordering an "Ultimate Bandsaw" Grizzly G0555 for $415 Shipped. Also I

have
been looking at their Jointer G1182Z for $380 Shipped. I have read some
good reviews on both of these products. Are their better buys on similar
equipment that would be recommended?

I was at Lowes today, they have the Delta JT360 6" Jointer for $349 but

I'm
not sure how this compares with the Grizzly, any recommendations?

Consider the Yorkcraft 6" jointer.
http://www.wilkemach.com/OnlineCatal...tail=309904 6
70050126&PreviousCategory=Jointers

This is essentially the same piece as the Delta 37-195, a significant
step-up from the JT360, at a much cheaper price than even the JT360. I also
hear Wilke does very good setup and double checks on their machines but
couldn't say whether that's true for mail order or just in the showroom.

Brian

See: http://www.sunhillmachinery.com/prod...ters/ct60l.asp

Great praise here in the newsgroup and a slightly longer bed than Grizzly or
Delta. Nice sale price right now, too.

Brian.

"RogerN" wrote in message
link.net...

I've been shopping on the internet, reading reviews, etc. I'm close to
ordering an "Ultimate Bandsaw" Grizzly G0555 for $415 Shipped. Also I

have
been looking at their Jointer G1182Z for $380 Shipped. I have read some
good reviews on both of these products. Are their better buys on similar
equipment that would be recommended?

I was at Lowes today, they have the Delta JT360 6" Jointer for $349 but

I'm
not sure how this compares with the Grizzly, any recommendations?

Also, Lowes had the Delta SS200 scroll saw for $59, I bought one, hope it

is
OK, if not, it will motivate me to fix the Hegner sooner.

Thanks!

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
Consider the Yorkcraft 6" jointer.

http://www.wilkemach.com/OnlineCatal...tail=309904 6
70050126&PreviousCategory=Jointers

This is essentially the same piece as the Delta 37-195, a significant
step-up from the JT360, at a much cheaper price than even the JT360. I

also
hear Wilke does very good setup and double checks on their machines but
couldn't say whether that's true for mail order or just in the showroom.

If you compare the $299 Yorktown (made in China), lever adjustment, to the
37-195, what would you compare the Bridgewood BW-6R to? It is on sale for
$399. It is made in Taiwan. The BW has handwheels on dovetail ways.

Both have a "sale" price on shipping right now.

My needs are light duty and I'd grab one of these before a Jet or Delta if
the quality is OK. Any comments?
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

James Cubby Culbertson

How much do you want to spend?

I bought the G0555 bandsaw and am generally happy with it although the
tensioning doesn't seem right. I can never get the blade truly tight.
Now, in saying that, it's my first bandsaw so I have nothing to
compare it to and for all I know, I'm trying to overtension it. I'm
also still using the Grizzly supplied blade which is a piece of crap.
That said, it rips boards perfectly straight out of the box with very
little setup.

I also went with the 6" Sunhill. It's worked pretty well so far and
was adjusted perfectly out of the box. It can be a bit tricky getting
the fence to a true 90 sometimes (tighten that bolt, ooops, that moved
the top. Loosen, hey, it's 90 now....basically it's a bit of trial
and error). I had read somewhere that the Sunhills are from the same
factory producing the JET jointers and if looks have anything to do
with it, they prolly are.

Cheers,
cc

V.E. Dorn

I can't give a recommendation other than Grizzly because I haven't used
them. I've equipped two shops and have used two different Griz bandsaws
(G1019 & G0555) and two different jointers (G1182 & G1182Z). I was very
happy with the earlier models but even happier with the new G0555 and 1182Z.

Dick Durbin

"Brian" wrote in message ...
See: http://www.sunhillmachinery.com/prod...ters/ct60l.asp

Great praise here in the newsgroup and a slightly longer bed than Grizzly or
Delta. Nice sale price right now, too.

I love mine and would buy another if I had to.

Dick Durbin
James T. Kirby

Quality of the Yorkcraft is good. - I can't tell it from the Delta sitting in a
local showroom as far as fit and finish goes. I found it to be set up well
too. No problems with parallel surfaces, etc. Can't speak for the Bridgewood.

Jim Kirby

--
James T. Kirby
email:

Maloof: “Then I just cut ________ on the bandsaw charlie b Woodworking 12 November 16th 03 04:53 PM
Bandsaw Box... jim Woodworking 8 November 1st 03 05:07 PM
Jointer Safety Help Mark Jerde Woodworking 34 October 21st 03 06:20 PM