Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Delta Lathe 46-700

I noticed in yesterday's Craigslist an ad for a Delta 46-700 lathe for $100 that
appears to be in excellent shape. I'm not into turning at this point but I'm
willing to jump on it if this were considered a real deal. I can always come up
with an excuse to justify it if I had to.

Anybody got an opinion about this particular lathe?

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in message
I noticed in yesterday's Craigslist an ad for a Delta 46-700 lathe for $100
that appears to be in excellent shape. I'm not into turning at this point
but I'm willing to jump on it if this were considered a real deal. I can
always come up with an excuse to justify it if I had to.

Anybody got an opinion about this particular lathe?

Most who have say stay away. Noisy, mechanically unreliable, and the
"finish" on the originals will scrape the skin off your arm if you brush
against it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 3, 3:26*am, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
wrote:
I noticed in yesterday's Craigslist an ad for a Delta 46-700 lathe for $100 that
appears to be in excellent shape. *I'm not into turning at this point but I'm
willing to jump on it if this were considered a real deal. *I can always come up
with an excuse to justify it if I had to.

Anybody got an opinion about this particular lathe?

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

I don not own one of these lathes, but everything I have heard about
them is not good.

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com
Posted to rec.woodworking
cm cm is offline

I had one and would never buy another unless I turned small spindles, pens,
or VERY SMALL bowls. the cast iron that holds the bearings is very thin and
either breaks or warps from vibration which then loosens your bearings. I
ordered a new headstock from delta and it was bad from the start.

cm

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in message
I noticed in yesterday's Craigslist an ad for a Delta 46-700 lathe for $100
that appears to be in excellent shape. I'm not into turning at this point
but I'm willing to jump on it if this were considered a real deal. I can
always come up with an excuse to justify it if I had to.

Anybody got an opinion about this particular lathe?

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 04:26:07 -0500, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote:

I noticed in yesterday's Craigslist an ad for a Delta 46-700 lathe for $100 that
appears to be in excellent shape. I'm not into turning at this point but I'm
willing to jump on it if this were considered a real deal. I can always come up
with an excuse to justify it if I had to.

Anybody got an opinion about this particular lathe?

A good, light duty, lathe that shares a weakness with most lathes that
rely on a mechanical, sliding sheave, variable speed drive. The drive
components wear out with regular speed changes and significant use.
First indication is noise in the drive.

If you can ascertain that the lathe has a sound drive the price is
right. If it does not, you would need to look at the cost of the
components to rebuild the varidrive and add those to the price for
your total cost.

You might want to ask your question on the various woodturning forums.
Keep in mind, though, you might be getting answers based on the
perspective of folks who own Nova's or One Way's or other high quality
(and appropriately priced) lathes.

Frank

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
I noticed in yesterday's Craigslist an ad for a Delta 46-700 lathe for $100 that
appears to be in excellent shape. *I'm not into turning at this point but I'm
willing to jump on it if this were considered a real deal. *I can always come up
with an excuse to justify it if I had to.

Anybody got an opinion about this particular lathe?

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

I own one of these lathes. It is definately a "starter" lathe. It
could benefit from a sturdy shop-made stand immediately. If the
turning bug bites you, you'll want to upgrade. However, it is not
junk. If the lathe in question runs without excessive noise and the
bearings are good on the headstock, it is easily worth a hundred
dollars. You aren't likely to try your hand at turning for a lower
price of admission.

DonkeyHody
"We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom
that is in it - and stop there; lest we be like the cat that sits
down
on a hot stove-lid. She will never sit down on a hot stove-lid
again---and that is well; but also she will never sit down on a cold
one anymore." - Mark Twain
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 04:26:07 -0500, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote:

I noticed in yesterday's Craigslist an ad for a Delta 46-700 lathe for $100 that
appears to be in excellent shape. I'm not into turning at this point but I'm
willing to jump on it if this were considered a real deal. I can always come up
with an excuse to justify it if I had to.

Anybody got an opinion about this particular lathe?

I have one that I paid about 2½ X that much for. As some have said
it's a good starter. It's much better than the home built starter I
made, and much better than my second starter (Craftsman tube) lathe.
It's probably about on a par with my third starter (Jet mini) lathe,
but that's an unfair comparison--mini vs "full size."

Yes, the Reeves drive can be noisy, and its range isn't as low as
you'd like for turning rough bowl stock that the lathe is capable of
turning. Reeves drives also trade a lot of delivered torque for RPM,
so it's easy to bog down at moderate speeds.

Some things I don't like:

* no spindle lock and no good way to back out a stuck faceplate
* motor cover is a royal pain to get off (see above)
* no hand wheel and no good way to fabricate one
* low speed isn't low enough (although it was before VFDs
started showing up)

You can do a lot of good work on it for a while and probably get your
money out of it when (not if) you're ready to move up. Norm used one
for several years, too.

Now, here's an offer you can't refuse: the lathe was probably sold
without a set of legs. Mine came with a set but I disassembled it
(them) and built a wooden stand. Mine is yours if you want it (them).
Just pay the shipping. You're near CLT, as I recall. Sadly, my
daughter no longer lives there, so I can't deliver.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

LRod wrote:
Now, here's an offer you can't refuse: the lathe was probably sold
without a set of legs. Mine came with a set but I disassembled it
(them) and built a wooden stand. Mine is yours if you want it (them).
Just pay the shipping. You're near CLT, as I recall. Sadly, my
daughter no longer lives there, so I can't deliver.

I'm not *near* Charlotte; I'm *in* Charlotte.... and I'm impressed that you'd
even be aware of that. In any case, your offer is a little ambiguous to me: I
think you're offering me the unused stand but an argument could also be made
that you're offering me the whole lathe. Which is it? If it's the whole thing,
I gladly accept. If it's just the stand, I'm under the impression this
Craigslist one includes the stand already.

What part of the state are you in? I only work on the weekends so day trips are
never really a problem. Tomorrow, AAMOF, I'm headed off to Topsail Beach for a
few days and will be using Highway 74 to point me in the general direction.
Gotta be back Saturday for my time in the House of Pain.

In any case, I appreciate your kind offer.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 10:22:46 -0500, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

LRod wrote:
Now, here's an offer you can't refuse: the lathe was probably sold
without a set of legs. Mine came with a set but I disassembled it
(them) and built a wooden stand. Mine is yours if you want it (them).
Just pay the shipping. You're near CLT, as I recall. Sadly, my
daughter no longer lives there, so I can't deliver.

I'm not *near* Charlotte; I'm *in* Charlotte....

I was hedging in case I was wrong.

...and I'm impressed that you'd even be aware of that.

We had an exchange a couple of years ago concerning the location of
the big tool dealer (Lenave?) there. I've spent 37 years with an RN.
You don't forget connections like that.

In any case, your offer is a little ambiguous to me: I
think you're offering me the unused stand but an argument could also be made
that you're offering me the whole lathe. Which is it? If it's the whole thing,
I gladly accept. If it's just the stand, I'm under the impression this
Craigslist one includes the stand already.

Sorry, it was just the stand.

What part of the state are you in?

I'm not. I'm in Ormond Beach, FL. My daughter lived there (a
subdivision south of the big mall on Tyvola/Fairview--it's all left me
now) for about two years, but she's back in FL now, although not as
near to us as when she was before she moved to CLT.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

LRod wrote:
We had an exchange a couple of years ago concerning the location of
the big tool dealer (Lenave?) there. I've spent 37 years with an RN.
You don't forget connections like that.

Leneave's where I bought that aircraft carrier of a jointer I own. I considered
North State to be an off brand but I have to say I have had nothing but good
service from it. Whoever pointed me in their direction did me a favor.

In any case, your offer is a little ambiguous to me: I
think you're offering me the unused stand but an argument could also be made
that you're offering me the whole lathe. Which is it? If it's the whole
thing, I gladly accept. If it's just the stand, I'm under the impression
this Craigslist one includes the stand already.

Sorry, it was just the stand.

Boo, hiss. It was worth a try. G I will respectfully decline the offer for
now as I'm still undecided whether to grab the Craigslist deal. But thank you
very much for offering.

What part of the state are you in?

I'm not. I'm in Ormond Beach, FL. My daughter lived there (a
subdivision south of the big mall on Tyvola/Fairview--it's all left me
now) for about two years, but she's back in FL now, although not as
near to us as when she was before she moved to CLT.

I know the area she lived in well... I'm only a couple of miles away myself.
And I even know Ormond Beach. Back in the days when I was running a scuba shop
here in Charlotte, I used to fly down to the Bahamas periodically. V3 ran down
the coast and right over Ormond Beach (112.6 MHz)... I'd follow it down to Vero
Beach and then cut over to Grand Bahama Island and points eastward. The good
old days.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Frank Boettcher" wrote:

A good, light duty, lathe that shares a weakness with most lathes that
rely on a mechanical, sliding sheave, variable speed drive. The drive
components wear out with regular speed changes and significant use.
First indication is noise in the drive.

AKA: "Reeves" drive, named after the inventor.

A low cost, constant HP, variable speed drive, just what you want for a
machine tool drive, but as Frank has noted, a high maintenance drive.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 11:54:52 -0500, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

LRod wrote:

I'm not. I'm in Ormond Beach, FL. My daughter lived there (a
subdivision south of the big mall on Tyvola/Fairview--it's all left me
now) for about two years, but she's back in FL now, although not as
near to us as when she was before she moved to CLT.

I know the area she lived in well... I'm only a couple of miles away myself.
And I even know Ormond Beach. Back in the days when I was running a scuba shop
here in Charlotte, I used to fly down to the Bahamas periodically. V3 ran down
the coast and right over Ormond Beach (112.6 MHz)... I'd follow it down to Vero
Beach and then cut over to Grand Bahama Island and points eastward. The good
old days.

Now you're not going to fool this old ZJX controller. You had to go
over FML (probably, assuming you were flying out of Douglas) first,
then CAE, then SAV to pick up V3, since it came over SOP, FLO, CHS,
NBC (I don't think there was a VOR at NBC--probably just the TACAN,
but we wrote strips for it for separation purposes), before getting to
SAV.

From there it went over SSI to JAX, then to DAB, VRB, PBI ending at
BSY, as I recall. Now the important thing is DAB. The VOR is located
on the Ormond Beach airport despite the Daytona airport being some 9
miles south. After the AVL accident around 1973 (I think) in which
there had been confusion over two similarly named facilities which
were not collocated, the FAA went around and changed all of the
non-collocated identifiers to eliminate the problem.

JAX became CRG (VOR is on Craig Field), DAB became OMN, and dozens of
other examples. It may be that was already done by the time you were
flying it. Back in the day for me is 1968 to 1973. Then I transferred
to ORD and ZAU. I've been retired ten years.

The good old days indeed. Mine are just a little older, I suspect.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"George" writes:

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in message
m...
I noticed in yesterday's Craigslist an ad for a Delta 46-700 lathe for $100
that appears to be in excellent shape. I'm not into turning at this point
but I'm willing to jump on it if this were considered a real deal. I can
always come up with an excuse to justify it if I had to.

Anybody got an opinion about this particular lathe?

Most who have say stay away. Noisy, mechanically unreliable, and the
"finish" on the originals will scrape the skin off your arm if you brush
against it.

I disagree. I've had one for a decade, and while I wouldn't use it to
turn large bowl blanks, it's just dandy for spindle turning and faceplate
work. It was more than USD400 new, so USD100 seem a pretty good deal
if it's in good condition.

I'd check the sheaves on the variable speed drive before purchase.

Noisy is relative. Compared to a table saw, jointer or planer it is
pretty quiet.

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Delta Lathe 46-700 (maybe a little off topic now....)

LRod wrote:
Now you're not going to fool this old ZJX controller. You had to go
over FML (probably, assuming you were flying out of Douglas) first,
then CAE, then SAV to pick up V3, since it came over SOP, FLO, CHS,
NBC (I don't think there was a VOR at NBC--probably just the TACAN,
but we wrote strips for it for separation purposes), before getting to
SAV.

I actually flew out of Rock Hill, SC so my flight plan would have me take off,
intercept V37 a few miles south of FML, then it was over Columbia (CAE),
Allendale (ALD) Savannah (SAV), Brunswick (SSI) and then down V437 to avoid JAX
coming back ashore at OMN to pick up V3, then on to Vero Beach and out to sea
(125 degrees) again to Grand Bahama Island, then turn to 090 until I picked up
the NDB at Marsh Harbour (my most common destination down there). If I was
headed to Bimini, I stayed with V3 until Ft. Lauderdale and crossed over at that
point. But most of the time my first navaid in the Bahamas was Grand Bahamas
Island.

Incidentally, I've never flown to the Bahamas with more than one engine. I've
taken a C-172 RG once; Cherokee Six/Saratogas many times; and C-210s many times.
The C-210 could make the trip nonstop. All of the others required landing and
fueling at Vero.

JAX became CRG (VOR is on Craig Field), DAB became OMN, and dozens of
other examples. It may be that was already done by the time you were
flying it. Back in the day for me is 1968 to 1973. Then I transferred
to ORD and ZAU. I've been retired ten years.

The good old days indeed. Mine are just a little older, I suspect.

For me it was 1978-1990. I ended up losing my flying job when the company went
tango uniform, then my medical almost simultaneously over some perceived blip on
my EKG. The FAA wanted me to have all this expensive testing done and I had no
money. I went to nursing school instead. Fast forward to 2005: I needed some
surgery and that question of my heart came up again after an EKG. I ended up
having a full workup including a heart cath, courtesy of my insurance company
and what do you know? FALSE POSITIVE! Pass the french fries, please.

I got my medical back, got a bienial, and took an instrument comp check. Back
in the saddle again! But DAMN! It sure is expensive nowadays. So them were
the good old days...