john moorhead

Default Freud "Dial a Dado" Query, also 6" v 8" dado question...

Folks -

Cuppla questions.... Has anybody RAN out and picked up that new Freud
Adjustable Dado blade yet - anybody use one? Feedback would be welcome as I
am putting together my XMAS list.... hehehe...

Also, I thought I heard that ONE of the cabinet saws out there (Delta/PM or
JET) WOULD NOT accept an 8" stacked dado set, it would take 6" only. Do any
of you know of this or have any experience?

Thanks in advance,

John Moorhead

Slowhand

"john moorhead" wrote in message
Folks -

Cuppla questions.... Has anybody RAN out and picked up that new Freud
Adjustable Dado blade yet - anybody use one? Feedback would be welcome as

am putting together my XMAS list.... hehehe...

Also, I thought I heard that ONE of the cabinet saws out there (Delta/PM

or
JET) WOULD NOT accept an 8" stacked dado set, it would take 6" only. Do

any
of you know of this or have any experience?

Welp, can't say it's the new model but freud made this same thang about 2 or
3 years ago and for some weird reason discontinued it and just recently
started making it again (popular demand I spose). I have the SD608 dial it
in model and it's the best thing since sliced bread imho. Can't say if it
will fit on a jet cab saw (it should) but it definately does the trick on my
delta cab saw. It makes very nice dados or grooves with little or no tear
out in oak veneer plywood whether you are ripping or cutting. It's a
definate must have fwiw.
SH

MJ Wallace

John:

I've used this dado blade on a Jet contractor
saw and it did a great job. I'd say go with the 6"
vs the 8". It is on my "next purchase" list.

I tried getting a good deal at the woodworking
show that passed through here (SF Bay area)
last weekend, but no one had a good deal. Search
around for it. Eagle has them, as do others.
Use Google for Freud 608. Should find
multiple places.

MJ Wallace
Mark

Cuppla questions.... Has anybody RAN out and picked up that new Freud
Adjustable Dado blade yet - anybody use one? Feedback would be welcome as I
am putting together my XMAS list.... hehehe...

I picked one up this last weekend at the Wood Show in Costa Mesa. Got
it for $179...seemed like a good price, it's over $200 on Amazon. Of
course had to make some cuts with it once I got home. As far as
quality of cut, very nice. Flat bottom, very little tear-out, even on
plywood. Still learning the best way to use the dial feature. I know I
hate using shims, seems like I always settled for 'close enough' with
shims. The good news is I was able to get exactly the fit I wanted
with the dial. You're suppose to be able to loosen the arbor nut and
dial in less or more. But I found it difficult to reach my hand down
the saw throat and turn the dial, unless I raised the blade up...hence
loosing your blade height setting. I found it easier to remove the
outside chipper (the one with the dial) make the adjustment and
reinstall. So really the same steps as shims. The difference is you
can make adjustments with the dial at .004 per click. Where as shims
it always seems like you over-shoot.

Maybe I'll get better at it as I get more time on it. But so far I
would give it a tentative thumbs up. BTW I have a Jet cabinet saw...no
problems.
Mark