Cedar Fireplace Mantle

Old November 2nd 03, 08:54 PM
Trent

Default Cedar Fireplace Mantle

Hi, I have a couple questions concerning a cedar mantle. I've priced them
at various outdoor market places and they're around $1000 and higher. My
husband is very handy in all areas of home construction. He's found a man
(owns a sawmill) that will cut a seven foot cedar trunk, flat on top and the
back side and left natural on the front and bottom. I'm assuming he'll
strip the bark. Cost is $50. My husband intends to take over from there.
Seeing how expensive the mantles sold for, I asked "just what is involved in
making a mantle like this?" Besides the stripping, sanding and varnishing,
he mentioned that the wood had to cure (or season) before the shellac or
varnish. My question is, how LONG does wood have to cure? If there are any
other tips you could share, I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks,
Monica

Old November 2nd 03, 09:02 PM
Morgans

"Trent" wrote in message
[...]

Cedar may cure slightly more quick, but the general rule is every inch
thickness is a year.

You could look around for someone who has a wood kiln, and for a bottle of
his favorite beverage, the manager will most likely throw it in, and you
will have it back in a couple weeks.

Look for hardwood suppliers, large commercial wood suppliers.
--
Jim in NC

Old November 2nd 03, 09:52 PM
Nova

Trent wrote:

Hi, I have a couple questions concerning a cedar mantle. I've priced them
at various outdoor market places and they're around $1000 and higher. My
husband is very handy in all areas of home construction. He's found a man
(owns a sawmill) that will cut a seven foot cedar trunk, flat on top and the
back side and left natural on the front and bottom. I'm assuming he'll
strip the bark. Cost is $50. My husband intends to take over from there.
Seeing how expensive the mantles sold for, I asked "just what is involved in
making a mantle like this?" Besides the stripping, sanding and varnishing,
he mentioned that the wood had to cure (or season) before the shellac or
varnish. My question is, how LONG does wood have to cure? If there are any
other tips you could share, I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks,
Monica

One of the problems you most will probably encounter is that when wood dries it
shrinks. This causes splits to develop in the wood, which is called checking.
The thicker the piece of wood the more likely it is to check. Fortunately, cedar
is less prone to checking, but some splits will more than likely occur.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Old November 2nd 03, 10:28 PM
Michael Daly

On 2-Nov-2003, "Morgans" wrote:

You could look around for someone who has a wood kiln, and for a bottle of
his favorite beverage, the manager will most likely throw it in, and you
will have it back in a couple weeks.

I didn't know what a cedar mantle was so - dags:

http://www.fromthewoods.com/images/custom/stone-and-cedar-mantle.jpg

If this is what Monica is talking about, it could be quite thick. What does
a quarter (or more?) of trunk mean in terms of kiln drying? A bit longer?
A lot longer? Two bottles of bev? Outright rejection?

Mike
Old November 2nd 03, 11:12 PM
Edwin Pawlowski

"Michael Daly" wrote in message
I didn't know what a cedar mantle was so - dags:

http://www.fromthewoods.com/images/custom/stone-and-cedar-mantle.jpg

Reminds me of a big ol' Caddy bumper
Ed

Old November 2nd 03, 11:23 PM
Andy Dingley

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 14:54:21 -0600, "Trent" wrote:

Hi, I have a couple questions concerning a cedar mantle.

You seem to be jumping straight from not buying a finished product
straight into buying green timber. There's no need to do this, as it's
much easier to buy froma timberyard, dry and already surface planed.

Old November 2nd 03, 11:45 PM
Trent

Thanks for the info guys Sounds like we need to stop and rethink this.
This is why I LOVE newsgroups!
Mike, this is more what we have in mind. My personal favorite of these is
the second from the bottom. You can click on page 4 to see the fireplace
this is going on.
http://www.pbase.com/monicakm/monicas_misc&page=5
Monica

"Michael Daly" wrote in message
.rogers.com...

Old November 3rd 03, 12:58 AM
Edwin Pawlowski

"Trent" wrote in message
My personal favorite of these is
the second from the bottom. You can click on page 4 to see the fireplace
this is going on.
http://www.pbase.com/monicakm/monicas_misc&page=5
Monica

Who cares about the mantle. Who is Ryanne on page 1? Anymore photos of
her?
Ed

Old November 3rd 03, 02:34 AM
Trent

Oh gee whiz! Let's keep our minds on the task at hand lol She's our 22
year old daughter that's driving us crazy right now! She just announced
she's getting married in March...sorry.

I just called the person we were getting the cedar log from. Was going to
tell him to hold off in light of the information I'd gotten here. He said
these logs had been cut for 2 years Guess that changes things.
Monica
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. com...