DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cedar Fireplace Mantle (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/22933-cedar-fireplace-mantle.html)

Trent November 2nd 03 09:54 PM

Cedar Fireplace Mantle

Hi, I have a couple questions concerning a cedar mantle. I've priced them
at various outdoor market places and they're around $1000 and higher. My
husband is very handy in all areas of home construction. He's found a man
(owns a sawmill) that will cut a seven foot cedar trunk, flat on top and the
back side and left natural on the front and bottom. I'm assuming he'll
strip the bark. Cost is $50. My husband intends to take over from there.
Seeing how expensive the mantles sold for, I asked "just what is involved in
making a mantle like this?" Besides the stripping, sanding and varnishing,
he mentioned that the wood had to cure (or season) before the shellac or
varnish. My question is, how LONG does wood have to cure? If there are any
other tips you could share, I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks,
Monica

Morgans November 2nd 03 10:02 PM

Cedar Fireplace Mantle

"Trent" wrote in message
[...]

Cedar may cure slightly more quick, but the general rule is every inch
thickness is a year.

You could look around for someone who has a wood kiln, and for a bottle of
his favorite beverage, the manager will most likely throw it in, and you
will have it back in a couple weeks.

Look for hardwood suppliers, large commercial wood suppliers.
--
Jim in NC

Nova November 2nd 03 10:52 PM

Cedar Fireplace Mantle

Trent wrote:

Hi, I have a couple questions concerning a cedar mantle. I've priced them
at various outdoor market places and they're around $1000 and higher. My
husband is very handy in all areas of home construction. He's found a man
(owns a sawmill) that will cut a seven foot cedar trunk, flat on top and the
back side and left natural on the front and bottom. I'm assuming he'll
strip the bark. Cost is $50. My husband intends to take over from there.
Seeing how expensive the mantles sold for, I asked "just what is involved in
making a mantle like this?" Besides the stripping, sanding and varnishing,
he mentioned that the wood had to cure (or season) before the shellac or
varnish. My question is, how LONG does wood have to cure? If there are any
other tips you could share, I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks,
Monica

One of the problems you most will probably encounter is that when wood dries it
shrinks. This causes splits to develop in the wood, which is called checking.
The thicker the piece of wood the more likely it is to check. Fortunately, cedar
is less prone to checking, but some splits will more than likely occur.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Michael Daly November 2nd 03 11:28 PM

Cedar Fireplace Mantle

On 2-Nov-2003, "Morgans" wrote:

You could look around for someone who has a wood kiln, and for a bottle of
his favorite beverage, the manager will most likely throw it in, and you
will have it back in a couple weeks.

I didn't know what a cedar mantle was so - dags:

http://www.fromthewoods.com/images/custom/stone-and-cedar-mantle.jpg

If this is what Monica is talking about, it could be quite thick. What does
a quarter (or more?) of trunk mean in terms of kiln drying? A bit longer?
A lot longer? Two bottles of bev? Outright rejection?

Mike

Edwin Pawlowski November 3rd 03 12:12 AM

Cedar Fireplace Mantle

"Michael Daly" wrote in message
I didn't know what a cedar mantle was so - dags:

http://www.fromthewoods.com/images/custom/stone-and-cedar-mantle.jpg

Reminds me of a big ol' Caddy bumper
Ed

Andy Dingley November 3rd 03 12:23 AM

Cedar Fireplace Mantle

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 14:54:21 -0600, "Trent" wrote:

Hi, I have a couple questions concerning a cedar mantle.

You seem to be jumping straight from not buying a finished product
straight into buying green timber. There's no need to do this, as it's
much easier to buy froma timberyard, dry and already surface planed.

Trent November 3rd 03 12:45 AM

Cedar Fireplace Mantle

Thanks for the info guys :) Sounds like we need to stop and rethink this.
This is why I LOVE newsgroups!
Mike, this is more what we have in mind. My personal favorite of these is
the second from the bottom. You can click on page 4 to see the fireplace
this is going on.
http://www.pbase.com/monicakm/monicas_misc&page=5
Monica

"Michael Daly" wrote in message
.rogers.com...

Edwin Pawlowski November 3rd 03 01:58 AM

Cedar Fireplace Mantle

"Trent" wrote in message
My personal favorite of these is
the second from the bottom. You can click on page 4 to see the fireplace
this is going on.
http://www.pbase.com/monicakm/monicas_misc&page=5
Monica

Who cares about the mantle. Who is Ryanne on page 1? Anymore photos of
her?
Ed

Trent November 3rd 03 03:34 AM

Cedar Fireplace Mantle

Oh gee whiz! Let's keep our minds on the task at hand lol She's our 22
year old daughter that's driving us crazy right now! She just announced
she's getting married in March...sorry.

I just called the person we were getting the cedar log from. Was going to
tell him to hold off in light of the information I'd gotten here. He said
these logs had been cut for 2 years :o Guess that changes things.
Monica
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. com...

Gerald Ross November 3rd 03 02:28 PM

Cedar Fireplace Mantle

Make sure you finish it smooth. I have lived in 2 houses with rough sawn
cedar mantELs. They collect dust and it is impossible to wipe them off.
In our last (and current) house, I finally covered it with regular wood
and now it can be dusted.

Trent wrote:

[...]

Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA
It's okay to do the right thing, as
long as you don't get caught.

Mark November 3rd 03 04:06 PM

Cedar Fireplace Mantle

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Who cares about the mantle. Who is Ryanne on page 1? Anymore photos of
her?

Classy!

Mark

N.E. Ohio

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart. (S. Clemens,
A.K.A. Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure ends the
suspense. (Gaz, r.moto)

retireb November 3rd 03 06:00 PM

Cedar Fireplace Mantle

Monica,

I knew a guy in Maine who made log tables from Hemlock, cedar, etc.
They were not as large as your mantel, but quite thick -- 6 or more
inches. For them and for your mantle, the shrinking, cracking, etc.
that will occur is part of what nakes them look natural. People still
love the tables, though there have been checks and splits. The splits
are usually on the surface, and not structural.

Many of the reples you have received are or the "wood movement is bad"
school, which is correct in finished products. When I make a oak table
from lumber, I don't want checks and splits. But when I made s log
table from a black cherry tree that Huricane Bob took down years ago
on Long Island, NY, the checking, etc. is part of the charm of the
piece. Its SUPPOSED to look rustic, as I suspect your mantel is also.

I just went and checked the table I made for myself from the same log,
and the bottom has a long (4 foot) crack, but the top (I sawed the log
in half down the center) is fine. The crack is shallow. From the
pictures you show, this supplier has done this before. Ask him/her
what happens. Personally, I woould love such a mantel with contrasting
reds and whites. Checks and splits are natural and part of the 'log'
approach.

Incidentally, I've seen similar log mantels in lodges. Usually, they
are resting on significant 'knees' which are cemented into the wall,
usually stone. In the house I had on Long Island, the mantel was a
12x6 by 10 feet long piece of oak. It rested on two 'knees' of stone
built into the stone fireplace. The wood is going to be quite heavy,
as well as allowing for people to lean on it, pull on it, etc.

Go with the log.

Good luck.

Retireb

Trent November 3rd 03 07:30 PM

Cedar Fireplace Mantle

Thanks retireb. You're right, this is supposed to look rustic. The den is
of a "lodge" style with a Texas theme. The granite fabricator will be here
tomorrow to hang a 26" tall state of Texas (made from Black Galaxy granite)
on the front of the Austin Chalk fireplace. We do have the stone "knees"
plus there are two pieces of wood above the "knees" that are flush with the
rock. Not sure what that will do but I know it has to do with the mantle.
Thanks for your insight. You've nailed the look we're going for :) Here is
a picture of the fireplace (if you haven't seen it yet).
http://www.pbase.com/image/22803803
Monica

P van Rijckevorsel November 3rd 03 10:45 PM

Cedar Fireplace Mantle

Nova schreef
One of the problems you most will probably encounter is that when wood

dries it shrinks. This causes splits to develop in the wood, which is
called
checking.

+ + +
Slight correction:
When wood dries it shrinks. When it is dried TOO FAST it may split, which is
called checking.

BTW Eastern redcedar tends to shrink only a little
PvR

Nova November 4th 03 12:51 AM

Cedar Fireplace Mantle

P van Rijckevorsel wrote:

+ + +
Slight correction:
When wood dries it shrinks. When it is dried TOO FAST it may split, which is
called checking.

It has been my experience that MILLED lumber when dried TOO FAST will split.
When an ENTIRE LOG is dried without milling it WILL split regardless of how it
is dried.

Mike November 4th 03 06:20 AM

Cedar Fireplace Mantle

Hi, I have a couple questions concerning a cedar mantle. I've priced them
at various outdoor market places and they're around $1000 and higher.

Before spending $$$ on wood read the building code on mantles. It is
quite strict on protrusion, distance etc. Be a shame to buy something
and find out it won't pass.

Mike

P van Rijckevorsel November 4th 03 06:37 PM

Cedar Fireplace Mantle

P van Rijckevorsel wrote:
Slight correction:
When wood dries it shrinks. When it is dried TOO FAST it may split,

which is called checking.

Nova schreef
It has been my experience that MILLED lumber when dried TOO FAST will

split. When an ENTIRE LOG is dried without milling it WILL split regardless
of how it is dried.

+ + +
It is all relative. Factors are the size of the log and the exact wood.
Obviously drying a big log intact at the right speed of drying will be a
passtime so unpopular that nobody can be found actually doing it. Note
however that sawing off the end of logs so as to encourage splitting as much
as possible is quite popular.

Anyway your point is irrelevant since this is milled lumber, although likely
twice or thrice the normal thickness. Given the fact that eastern redcedar
shrinks little it should be doable to dry it free of splitting, but it will
take quite a while (which again will be unpopular).
PvR