mel

Default rockler's plan for high chair gripe

I purchased Rockler's plan for a high chair and it's loaded with typo's and
mistakes.

1. says to taper back posts on all sides at 1.5 degrees and cut bottom at 7
degrees. Then it says to cut then ends of the arms that mate with the back
posts at 11 degrees. If the arms are parallel with the seat it should be
8.5 degrees. 7+1.5 = 8.5

2. says to taper the inside faces of legs 1.5 degrees, cut front apron at 4
degrees and dado for foot rests at 2 degrees. should be 2.5 degrees.

3. says to cut side aprons at 10 degrees, same 1.5 degree taper on leg and
to cut the stretcher at 9 degrees. should be 8.5

4. back post to be premortised before tapering 5/8" deep for crest rail.
Post is 15-1/4" long. After tapering 1.5 degrees you're left with a mortise
only
3/8" deep, However it also says to cut the crest rail to length and then
remove waste to form angled tenons 1/2" long.

Granted adjustments can be made.... it's just frustrating to have paid for
an idea of how a high chair is built instead of an accurate plan.

Bob G

"mel" wrote in message
y.com...
I purchased Rockler's plan for a high chair and it's loaded with typo's

and
mistakes.

snip snip snip

Granted adjustments can be made.... it's just frustrating to have paid

for
an idea of how a high chair is built instead of an accurate plan.

snip snip snip.....

====================================
I very rarely work from plans... (extremely rare in fact) BUT the few times
I did I used the plans only as a guide anyway.... BUT I can understand your
frustration with
the mistakes...Over the 40 plus years I have been a serious woodworker I
have learned that I make enough mistakes on my own sure do not need to
compound the
mistakes in the plans...

Measure twice...cut once "WRONG"...
do it again dummy! this time make the cut right!

Some projects just go that way... thankfully most do not

Bob Griffiths

Chris Merrill

mel wrote:
I purchased Rockler's plan for a high chair and it's loaded with typo's and
mistakes.

Complain and ask for a refund. They'll never know it needs improvement
if nobody every complains.

--
************************************
Chris Merrill

(remove the ZZZ to contact me)

Me

"mel" wrote in message gy.com...
I purchased Rockler's plan for a high chair and it's loaded with typo's and
mistakes.

And you're surprised? I've placed a few orders with Rockler, and
EVERY SINGLE TIME I've found myself disappointed in one way or another
with the quality of the products they sell. There are far better
places to buy woodworking goodies from.