Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cost of roof

Not a woodworking question per se. But a question on the cost of installing a roof on a house. So at least its carpentry focused. I am in the process of getting annual quotes on house insurance. Some policies cover the replacement cost of the roof at 100% regardless of the age or condition of the roof. If the house burns down and is rebuilt, the insurance company pays for a brand new roof. Other policies only pay a depreciated value on the roof. My roof is 20 years old so basically they are saying they would pay almost nothing for a replacement roof if my whole house burned down and was rebuilt. They pay 100% on rebuilding the house brand new except don't give you any money to install a roof.

My question is: How much does it cost to put on a new roof on a house? My house is about 1250 square feet, hip roof, ranch one story, asphalt shingles. Somewhat basic, simple roof. In your answers please say whether the price is for a re-roof of an existing house where they just put on new shingles and tar paper. Or whether its the portion associated to the roof of a new house build. Assume this is shingles, paper, sheathing, and maybe trusses/rafters too. What part of the country the quote is from might be very relevant too. I'm in the Midwest.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/18/2019 2:41 PM, wrote:
[...]

About the only variable - other than whether it's high tide in the Port
of Boston - you didn't put in here is whether or not it's a tear off.

You simply have too many variables to get a meaningful estimate.

Suggestion? You have a twenty year old roof. Call a couple of roofing
companies and get a free estimate.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 18 Oct 2019 12:41:47 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

[...]

I suspect that you have mis-understood the coverage - no offence ..
I suspect that they pro-rate the roof repair/replacement -
only when it is the subject of the claim - ie wind damage ; tree
branch ; but if the claim is for the whole house -
- the shingles would be treated like everything else -
otherwise they would be pro-rating your siding, plumbing,
flooring, fixtures, etc etc
I'm not an insurance person - just trying to use common sense -
I suggest you double check this detail with a good broker.

ps: they DO drive by and take-a-look - and probably take
photos - before signing on new or suspect policies -
... when our old dumpy family home passed to my eldest brother -
- they made him install a rail on the 50 year old step/landing ;
and install an outdoor GFI receptacle for the block heater -
which happened to be plugged in - through a window -
when they drove by for their inspection ..
I'm not sure how well-trained the insurance "inspectors" are
- they didn't mention the big branch - hanging over the house -
from the neighbours ancient white birch tree ..
... we looked after that afterwards.
... nor the big 100 year old spruce tree hanging over the other
neighbours house ... dunno ..
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/18/2019 2:41 PM, wrote:
Not a woodworking question per se.Â* But a question on the cost of installing a
roof on a house.Â* So at least its carpentry focused.Â* I am in the process of
getting annual quotes on house insurance.Â* Some policies cover the replacement
cost of the roof at 100% regardless of the age or condition of the roof.Â* If
the house burns down and is rebuilt, the insurance company pays for a brand
new roof.Â* Other policies only pay a depreciated value on the roof.Â* My roof
is 20 years old so basically they are saying they would pay almost nothing for
a replacement roof if my whole house burned down and was rebuilt.Â* They pay
100% on rebuilding the house brand new except don't give you any money to
install a roof.

My question is:Â* How much does it cost to put on a new roof on a house?Â* My
house is about 1250 square feet, hip roof, ranch one story, asphalt shingles.
Somewhat basic, simple roof.Â* In your answers please say whether the price is
for a re-roof of an existing house where they just put on new shingles and tar
paper.Â* Or whether its the portion associated to the roof of a new house
build.Â* Assume this is shingles, paper, sheathing, and maybe trusses/rafters
too.Â* What part of the country the quote is from might be very relevant too.
I'm in the Midwest.

About the only variable - other than whether it's high tide in the Port of
Boston - you didn't put in here is whether or not it's a tear off.

You simply have too many variables to get a meaningful estimate.

Suggestion?Â* You have a twenty year old roof.Â* Call a couple of roofing
companies and get a free estimate.

I live in south Texas and have had new roof and big tree removable done. Get
bids from some of the smaller contractors. I got a good job done for half of
what the big companies charge.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/18/2019 2:41 PM, wrote:
[...]

The best answer is going to come from a local contractor.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 18 Oct 2019 15:58:21 -0500, gray_wolf

On 10/18/2019 2:41 PM, wrote:
[...]

Home Depot's contractor quoted $10,000. A local roofing-only firm
that's been in business for decades quoted $4,500.
It definitely pays to shop around. Might have found someone even
cheaper but preferred to do business with someone who was likely to be
there for warranty work.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/18/2019 10:23 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/18/2019 3:41 PM, wrote:

My question is:Â* How much does it cost to put on a new roof on a
house?Â* My house is about 1250 square feet, hip roof, ranch one story,
asphalt shingles.Â* Somewhat basic, simple roof.Â* In your answers
please say whether the price is for a re-roof of an existing house
where they just put on new shingles and tar paper.Â* Or whether its the
portion associated to the roof of a new house build.Â* Assume this is
shingles, paper, sheathing, and maybe trusses/rafters too.Â* What part
of the country the quote is from might be very relevant too.Â* I'm in
the Midwest.

I'd say between 5k and 10k.Â* Cheap shingles or high grade 40 year?
Venting?Â* gutters?Â* In the case of a fire they probably would do tear
off.Â* Wind damage they my depreciate but I realy don't know for sure.

I think what you really need is a better insurance agent.Â* In 54 years
of home ownership I never had to go through all of that.

The best starting point in any project is to make an estimate yourself.

Start with the outside demention of you house divide the gabled end by
two and calculate the area of the roof using trigonometry. Add a couple
of feet to the dimensions for overhangs, and calculate the area of the roof.

Once you have the total area of he roof, go to a web site like Lowes,
and find the cost of the shingles and the "Tar paper" equivalent of what
they are using to day.

Using these numbers calculate the cost of materials to do the roof.
Double it to put in a cost of labor, and use this as a starting estimate.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/18/2019 2:41 PM, wrote:
[...]

You better be comparing applesa to apples - I doubt you are. It's
not a case of "a roof is a roof" Crappy shingles cost less than 1/3
what good ones do. Labour cost is the same assuming the sam quality of
workmanship.

I just had my roof replaced. Strip off old roof to plywood. No wood
replacement required. new drip edge and ice/water guard, new flashing
and roof vents, new oermeable roof underlay and 50 year non pro-rated
warranty - 15 squares of Certainteed Northgate shingles - class 4
impact resistant and 15 year 110mph wind damage guarantee -
transferable to new owner - $8000 Canadian.

Warrantee covers removal, disposal and replacement - no deductable.

I could have had a bargain GAF or IKO roof for about half the price -
the warranty not worth the paper it was printed on - like the one I
just had torn off.

Also - you are mis-reading the insurance policy. If you have
replacement value replacement on the house and the roof is damaged by
fire or any other insured peril, the roof IS INCLUDED - unless,
possibly, you are in a fire danger area like southern california and
you roof is not fire resistant and the fire starts from embers on the
roof. In that case they MAY not cover the roof - just like they don't
cover the replacement of a leaky water pipe but cover the damage
caused by the water leak.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Big difference in insurance between Canada and the USA too - but what
you say pretty much applies across the board.

Insurance companies are NOT in the business of taking risks - - - - -
And yes, I've spent 17 years working in an insurance office - not as
an insurance professional but as their IT support - and learned a lot
about insurance. My daughter is also an insurance professional
(commercial lines mostly - but also personal lines property insurance)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Insurance is _all_ about taking risks. If there was no risk there
would be no need for insurance.

What insurance is not about is charging less to assume a risk than the
actuarial cost of that risk.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, October 18, 2019 at 3:41:50 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

How are you getting these "annual quotes on house insurance"? Are you
shopping on your own or are you using an independent agent?

I suggest that you sit down with an independent insurance agent that knows
your area and can ask/answer specific questions related to your house and
your area, including your exact neighborhood.

It won't cost you a dime and you can have them tell you the impact of
buying full replacement coverage with and without a roof included.

That said, I'm confused by this ask: "Assume this is shingles, paper,
sheathing, and maybe trusses/rafters too."

Are you saying that you have seen full replacement coverage that doesn't
include trusses/rafters and sheathing as part of the coverage? If your house
burns to the ground they'll pay for everything below the top plate of the
wall, but they stop paying there? Hmm... maybe I better check my policy.
Oh wait, I don't have to. I'll just call my agent and ask. ;-)