Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Favorite Method For Filling Nail Holes On Trim?

I replaced the baseboard trim, window and door casing, etc. in my living room. Pine, painted
before installing.

Now I need to fill the nail holes. Lots of options...painter's putty, window glaze, spackle, etc. I'd
prefer not to have to sand and prime each fill, but if I do, of course I will.

What is your favorite (hopefully quickest) method?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, October 22, 2019 at 5:33:10 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

What is your favorite (hopefully quickest) method?

Paintable caulk, wet-wipe smooth and clean up is quick and easy, also.

Depending on the size of the nail head/hole, sometimes a slight dimple will result after the first filling/wipe smooth. Subsequent quick wipes, right & left- up & down, usually solves the dimple issue.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/22/2019 5:33 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I replaced the baseboard trim, window and door casing, etc. in my living room. Pine, painted
before installing.

Now I need to fill the nail holes. Lots of options...painter's putty, window glaze, spackle, etc. I'd
prefer not to have to sand and prime each fill, but if I do, of course I will.

What is your favorite (hopefully quickest) method?

Spackle, easy to remove the excess after it dries.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/22/2019 7:43 AM, Leon wrote:
On 10/22/2019 5:33 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I replaced the baseboard trim, window and door casing, etc. in my
living room. Pine, painted
before installing.

Now I need to fill the nail holes. Lots of options...painter's putty,
window glaze, spackle, etc. I'd
prefer not to have to sand and prime each fill, but if I do, of course
I will.

What is your favorite (hopefully quickest) method?

Spackle, easy to remove the excess after it dries.

For commercial touch up and repair work were time is money we'd use
Patch-N-Paint spackle. Used to get it locally from Sherwin Williams,
but one of the box stores had a comparable product. When I was
contracting I'd always get it from Sherwin Williams because they also
did a better job of paint matching. I'd just drop off a paint sample,
and come back later to pick up everything I needed.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, October 22, 2019 at 5:31:48 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

This stuff? No sanding or priming. That I like.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DAP-Patc...1602/100211455

I have a tube of DAP DryDex (goes on pink, turns white when ready to sand)

Just for fun I tried "sanding" it (lightly) with a wet paper towel. It
cleaned the excess off the painted trim just fine, but I can feel a slight
dimple on the nail holes. I'll try normal sanding tomorrow to see if it was
the wet paper towel or my application method (finger) that caused the dimple.
I know, I know, use a putty knife. ;-)

This in-depth review sings the praises of 3M Patch-Plus-Primer. Not
based on the inclusion of the primer, mostly on the usability of the product.

https://topcoatreview.com/2015/11/3m-patch-plus-primer/