eric

Default miter saw -- delta / dewalt to replace ridgid

I am looking to replace my Ridgid 12" miter saw with the delta 36-312 model,
I was considering the dewalt 705S but since both the delta and the dewalt
are the same price ~$299 and delta is now offering a $50 rebate I am leaning
towards delta, anybody seen / used the delta / dewalt models and care to
comment on either ?

Ron S.

When I bought the Dewalt 705S they were giving away a nice solid 3/8 drill
with it (worth $50-60) Since my 25+ year old B&D was about worn out, I got
the Dewalt. It is a great saw. No complaints at all.
"eric" wrote in message
I am looking to replace my Ridgid 12" miter saw with the delta 36-312

model,
I was considering the dewalt 705S but since both the delta and the dewalt
are the same price ~$299 and delta is now offering a $50 rebate I am

leaning
towards delta, anybody seen / used the delta / dewalt models and care to
comment on either ?

Mike in Mystic

I don't have experience with these particular saws, but I did have a Delta
Shopmaster 10" single-compound dual miter saw. It was about $140, IIRC, and
it was surprisingly capable for it's price. That said, it left some things
to be desired and so I sold it (along with the custom built stand I made for
it). Now I have the 12" dual-bevel, dual-miter compound miter saw from
DeWalt. It is a dream to use and by far the best miter saw I've ever used
(#4 at this point). It was (and still is, I believe) $349 with free
shipping at www.northwestpowertools.com At the time I got it, it came with
a 6" DeWalt random orbital sander, which I haven't even used, honestly.
Even without it, I think it is well worth the price.

Mike

"eric" wrote in message
I am looking to replace my Ridgid 12" miter saw with the delta 36-312

model,
I was considering the dewalt 705S but since both the delta and the dewalt
are the same price ~$299 and delta is now offering a $50 rebate I am

leaning
towards delta, anybody seen / used the delta / dewalt models and care to
comment on either ?

Mike in Mystic

I was just looking at www.northwestpowertools.com again and saw that the
DeWalt 705s is $299 and has free shipping AND that nice little DeWalt shop
vacuum. I've actually hooked up a similar craftsman shop vacuum to the 12"
DeWalt I mentioned in my other post and have it triggered to turn on when
the saw is in use. It definitely doesn't get all the dust, but it is
surprisingly effective in helping reduce it. Anyway, just another bit of
info for you.

Mike

"eric" wrote in message
I am looking to replace my Ridgid 12" miter saw with the delta 36-312

model,
I was considering the dewalt 705S but since both the delta and the dewalt
are the same price ~$299 and delta is now offering a $50 rebate I am

leaning
towards delta, anybody seen / used the delta / dewalt models and care to
comment on either ?

eric

because alinging it is a PIA

The saw works fine, I have had it for 3 years and used it for all sorts of
heavy and light stuff around the house -- but getting it zero'ed in sucks.
To align it you have to flip it over and work it from the bottom. Both the
delta and the dewalt allow you to set the alignment by adjusting the angle
guage on the top of the saw, once you have set it to 0 (hope this makes
sense)

. com...

"eric" wrote in message
I am looking to replace my Ridgid 12" miter saw with the delta 36-312

model,
I was considering the dewalt 705S but since both the delta and the

dewalt
are the same price ~$299 and delta is now offering a $50 rebate I am

leaning
towards delta, anybody seen / used the delta / dewalt models and care to
comment on either ?

Mark Wells

I got the Delta and I like it except for one problem -- the turn table
is a few thousandths of an inch higher than the rest of the table. I
set the extension wing at the same height as the turn table and
haven't noticed any errors in my work because of it. However, I may
not be good enough for it to matter.

When considering cost, make sure you factor in a new blade. You will
need that with either saw.

Mark

"eric" wrote in message ...
I am looking to replace my Ridgid 12" miter saw with the delta 36-312 model,
I was considering the dewalt 705S but since both the delta and the dewalt
are the same price ~$299 and delta is now offering a $50 rebate I am leaning
towards delta, anybody seen / used the delta / dewalt models and care to
comment on either ?

B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 18:23:46 -0500, "eric"
wrote:

I am looking to replace my Ridgid 12" miter saw with the delta 36-312 model,
I was considering the dewalt 705S but since both the delta and the dewalt
are the same price ~$299 and delta is now offering a $50 rebate I am leaning
towards delta, anybody seen / used the delta / dewalt models and care to
comment on either ?

Look for refurbs on the 'net.

You can often find $500-600 saws for $300 as factory refurbished.

Barry

Edwin Pawlowski

"Mark Wells" wrote in message
When considering cost, make sure you factor in a new blade. You will
need that with either saw.

Mark

I figured that also, but was pleasantly surprised with the DeWalt blade.
I'm sure there are better blades on the market, but this one is just fine
until it needs sharpening and I may consider one at that point.
Ed

B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 03:39:51 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

I figured that also, but was pleasantly surprised with the DeWalt blade.

DeWalt 60 series blades have gotten excellent write-ups in several
magazines.

Barry

Mark

eric wrote:
because alinging it is a PIA

The saw works fine, I have had it for 3 years and used it for all sorts of
heavy and light stuff around the house -- but getting it zero'ed in sucks.

I did some shopping for a compound miter a couple of years ago, I
decided on the 12" Porter-Cable 3802 compound miter.

I didn't like the indexing systems on most saws, screwing or inserting a
pin in a cast V or hole wasn't my idea of accuracy. The P-C and DeWalt
had the same type of index system. The DeWalts index plate was somewhat
thin.

This weakness was illustrated at HD. They're display unit had something
dropped on it mangling the plate. I didn't see any sharp gouges in the
plate so I don't think a block of steel was dropped on it.

I see DW has since added a lip to the index plate making it stronger and
less susceptible to this type of damage.

I have used the P-C to cut up to 4x6 and used it to build a 320 sq. ft
deck, it doesn't seem to have suffered.

I need to align it because I bounced the fence with the extension
against a wall (pretty hard). The 6 main fence fasteners are in the open
and able to be turned with the saw blade wrench. Two of the the 4 aux
fences fasteners are also workable with the blade wrench, the other two
require a box or open end wrench. All can be accessed without lifting
the saw. The 6 index plate fasteners have to be accessed from underneath.

I have no idea how difficult aligning the saw will be, if I write it
appears easy it will , of course, be a bitc .... be difficult.

To align it you have to flip it over and work it from the bottom. Both the
delta and the dewalt allow you to set the alignment by adjusting the angle
guage on the top of the saw, once you have set it to 0 (hope this makes
sense)

. com...

"eric" wrote in message

I am looking to replace my Ridgid 12" miter saw with the delta 36-312

model,

I was considering the dewalt 705S but since both the delta and the

dewalt

are the same price ~$299 and delta is now offering a $50 rebate I am

leaning

towards delta, anybody seen / used the delta / dewalt models and care to
comment on either ?

Mark

N.E. Ohio

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart. (S. Clemens,
A.K.A. Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure ends the
suspense. (Gaz, r.moto)

Daniel Martin

I also had a Delta and considered all makes as a replacement. Looked
at the Dewalt but I chose the Bosch slide 10" instead. I have
purchased 2 other Bosch tools since then. Several other choices but
Dewalt & Bosch seem to dominate in this area.

Daniel