Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dust Collector Hose for Delta Miter Saw?

I received my JDS Dust Force dust collector yesterday, got it assembled,
and fired it up for the first time. I haven't even hooked it to a tool yet,
but I'm already envisioning where to run duct work!

Unfortunately, I've already run into my first hurdle. I have a 10" Delta
miter saw, and I've measured the port as 1-1/2" ID. Naturally, a 1-1/4"
shop vac hose is too small, and virtually every adapter I've seen steps
from 1-1/4" to 2".

Ideally, I'd like to run a short length of 1-1/2" hose (if I could find it)
from the saw up to the wall, then adapt to the 4" main duct.

Any ideas where I can get a 1-1/2" hose to fit the saw, and an appropriate
adapter to connect to the 4"?

Also, does anyone make rigid "antistatic" pvc pipes for duct work. I'd
prefer smooth pipe over the flexible corrugated stuff, but no one seems to
make it. I'd use regular PVC water pipe, but I've heard static buildup is a
potential danger.

Thanks,

Anthony
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 28, 3:54 pm, HerHusband wrote:
[...]

Why wouldn't you put the hose on the outside of the port? I would
think sticking the hose inside the port would increase the risk of
clogging and would make it tough to keep the hose actually connected
to the saw.

-Nathan
Posted to rec.woodworking

HerHusband wrote:

Unfortunately, I've already run into my first hurdle. I have a 10" Delta
miter saw, and I've measured the port as 1-1/2" ID.

snip

Ideally, I'd like to run a short length of 1-1/2" hose (if I could find it)
from the saw up to the wall, then adapt to the 4" main duct.

The small ports are meant for shopvacs, not dust collectors. That small
of a hose will choke a dust collector down to the point where doesn't
work very well.

You're likely better off using a shopvac on the miter saw, or else
making a shroud of some sort behind the saw to capture the dust, with a
4" fitting for the collector hose.

Static buildup is not a danger in a small shop. If it really worries
you, just wrap some bare wire in a spiral around your plastic pipe.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

HerHusband wrote:
: Unfortunately, I've already run into my first hurdle. I have a 10" Delta
: miter saw, and I've measured the port as 1-1/2" ID. Naturally, a 1-1/4"
: shop vac hose is too small, and virtually every adapter I've seen steps
: from 1-1/4" to 2".

I found a 1-1/2" to 2-1/2" adapter on Amazon, so I could hook my shop
vac to my Dewalt 715 CMS. I found that even with the vacuum attached,
a lot of dust gets sprayed over the wall behind the saw.

Someone had a web site where he described his home-made CSM
workstation, and he had a enclosure behind the CSM lareg enough to
allow full rotate and tilt. The enclosure caught the dust and was
attached to his dust collector. Unfortunately, I can't find the site,
now.

I'm planning to do the same sort of thig, one of these days.

--- Chip

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have a 10" Delta miter saw, and I've measured the port as 1-1/2" ID.

Why wouldn't you put the hose on the outside of the port?

That would be my preference, but that measurement is even more odd.
Something like 1-3/8" OD. I figured 1.5" would be an easier size to match?

Anthony

Posted to rec.woodworking

HerHusband took a can of maroon spray paint on November 28, 2007 05:12 pm
and wrote the following:

I have a 10" Delta miter saw, and I've measured the port as 1-1/2" ID.

Why wouldn't you put the hose on the outside of the port?

That would be my preference, but that measurement is even more odd.
Something like 1-3/8" OD. I figured 1.5" would be an easier size to match?

Inside diameter bigger than the outside, cool, a Mobius dust port.
;-)
--
Lits Slut #9
Posted to rec.woodworking

Unfortunately, I've already run into my first hurdle. I have a 10"
Delta miter saw, and I've measured the port as 1-1/2" ID.
Ideally, I'd like to run a short length of 1-1/2" hose (if I could
find it) from the saw up to the wall, then adapt to the 4" main duct.

The small ports are meant for shopvacs, not dust collectors. That
small of a hose will choke a dust collector down to the point where
doesn't work very well.

I was initially thinking a hybrid approach, a small hose connected to the
port on the saw, Wye'd in to a full size port near the back of the saw for
any dust that escaped.

However, now that I think about it, if I built a shroud of some type around
the back of the saw, I could probably just angle the little "Ell" port on
the saw towards the shroud. In theory, it should blow the dust back right
into the DC hose. Hmm... Something to look into.

Like I said, I just received the DC and am like a kid in a candy store
trying to figure out how to connect everything up. Most of my tools are
mobile, so I have to keep that in mind also.

I'll probably run my duct up in the corner near the ceiling, and thought I
would drill a hole in the overhead cabinets to pass the duct. Then I wised
up and realized I could just move the cabinet over a few inches and make a
filler to bridge the gap between cabinets. The duct would then drop down
between the cabinets. Good reason to examine my options before I start
cutting holes everywhere...

On a related note, my DC can be rewired for 240V if I wish. Since I plan to
install an outlet dedicated to the DC, what advantages would running off of
240V provide compared to running off 120V? Lower amperage, but wouldn't the
overall wattage be the same? I guess I don't understand the advantages.

Anthony
Posted to rec.woodworking

I have a 10" Delta miter saw, and I've measured the port as 1-1/2"
ID.
Why wouldn't you put the hose on the outside of the port?

That would be my preference, but that measurement is even more odd.
Something like 1-3/8" OD. I figured 1.5" would be an easier size to
match?

Inside diameter bigger than the outside, cool, a Mobius dust port. ;-)

Ooops. It's probably more like 1-5/8" OD. Gee whiz, I've been having a
brain fart moment all day long... Best to stay away from the power tools
today!

Anthony

Posted to rec.woodworking

I used one of these with my Delta saw:
http://www.houseoftools.com/product.htm?pid=23886

Seemed to work ok, although I found hooking up and turning on the shop-vac
to too much of a pain in the butt unless I was doing a lot of cutting.

Clint

"HerHusband" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 16:24:07 -0600, HerHusband
wrote:

On a related note, my DC can be rewired for 240V if I wish. Since I plan to
install an outlet dedicated to the DC, what advantages would running off of
240V provide compared to running off 120V? Lower amperage, but wouldn't the
overall wattage be the same? I guess I don't understand the advantages.

Yes, wattage would be the same - double the voltage, halve the
amperage. The lowered amperage resulting in less voltage drop in the
line is the only advantage. If your situation is such that the voltage
drop to your machines is not significant with the higher amperage,
then there is no real advantage. The longer the wire run to the
machine, the more advantage to 240 volts.

However, if you are going to run a dedicated line to the DC, I would
opt for running it as 240 volts since the line loss/voltage drop even
in a short wire run will be less.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

HerHusband wrote:

Any ideas where I can get a 1-1/2" hose to fit the saw, and an appropriate
adapter to connect to the 4"?

Don't bother.

Miter saws are better with a large hood and 4" port.

Look at the second item on this page:
http://www.ptreeusa.com/mitersawaccessories.htm

Attach the large hood to an OSB or blue foam wall, and you'll do much
better.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I built a shroud around my 12" Hitachi miter saw and used a 4" dust
collection port.
While the enclosure helped to contain the chips and dust from cutting, it
really did not help
with picking up the cutting debris. While it gets some of it and contains
the rest, the majority
just settles on the bottom of the enclosure. I feel that his is due to the
lack of vacuum to pull
from such a large area. However, the shroud is a MAJOR improvement over
having the
clean up after every time using the saw. These miter saws spray chips and
dust everywhere!

I am think of following the others suggestions of hooking a shop vac to the
port on the saw.

Hope it works for you,

Ron

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

I struggled with this Delta chop saw problem too. I couldn't find an
adapter that would go from 1 1/2" to 4" or any good combination of adapters
that got me there. There may be one out there today. I ended up getting
same adapter as Clint's from Ace hardware store. The one I bought isn't
hard plastic, rather a somewhat rigid but flexible sort of rubber material
and I just cut-out the section that goes from an I.D. of 2 1/4" to 1 1/2".
Slipped 1 1/2" over the saw's port and clamped it with a 2" hose clamp.
The other end fits the 2 1/4" O.D. shop-vac type of hose on my Fein vacuum.
I really like this vacuum by the way. Bought before my dust collector. You
plug the tool's 110 v cord into the electrical outlet built into the front
of the vacuum and it goes on and off when you turn power tool on and off.
Very convenient for sanders, hand routers, chop saw, etc. A little off
topic, sorry. There is a little sawdust that doesn't get picked up by the
vacuum on the chop saw, but minor in my view. Very little on the floor.
Just a little on the back of the chop saw table mostly.. If you bought a
shop-vac before your dust collector, that's all you really need in my
opinion.. Good luck..

"Clint" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sears will start running big time sales on shop vacs
right about now. The bigger the better for miter saws.

I got one two years ago for about $50 and it gets
about 70% of the dust and chips.

Nothing will ever get it all at a chop saw...

dabears525 wrote:

I am think of following the others suggestions of hooking a shop vac to the
port on the saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I'd probably build an enclosure and use a 6" DC line. Most DCs are 6"
anyway.. don't choke it down to 4"..

The enclosure would cover as much as possible.. and maybe have some pull out
/ adjustable sides or tops..

the goal is to get the the fine stuff that will kill ya.. the chips are
harmless..

Posted to rec.woodworking

Option 1: Resize PVC pipe to make a custom adaptor; see
http://billpentz.com/woodworking/pvc.html

Option 2: Notice how badly designed the Delta 10" miter saw dust port is;
sawdust is flung everywhere -except- in the direction of the port. You'll
probably end up with a DIY hood, given the $25 price of the 'big gulp'.
Something along these lines:
http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr...Number=3259574. Maybe
mock it up in cardboard and duct tape until you've verified that it works
without interference in all angled positions of the saw.

David Merrill

"HerHusband" wrote in message

snip...

Unfortunately, I've already run into my first hurdle. I have a 10" Delta
miter saw, and I've measured the port as 1-1/2" ID. Naturally, a 1-1/4"
shop vac hose is too small, and virtually every adapter I've seen steps
from 1-1/4" to 2".

snip...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Option 1: Resize PVC pipe to make a custom adaptor

I picked up a plumbing fitting yesterday and see the dust port on the saw
is just smaller than a 1-1/2" pipe. And a 2" plumbing pipe is about the
same size as my shop vac hose.

I haven't tried it yet, but I think a "Fernco" style coupling would make
the transitions. They're basically just a rubber connector with a band
clamp at each end. I'm planning to pick one up the next time I run to town.
It'll give me something to play around with...

Notice how badly designed the Delta 10" miter saw dust port
is; sawdust is flung everywhere -except- in the direction of the port.

Yeah, I don't have a lot of hope for the dust port, but figured it was
worth a try.

You'll probably end up with a DIY hood

Maybe. I'm still debating whether to even bother with dust collection
around the miter saw. It would require a lot of duct work to make it
happen, and from what I've read it's not very effective anyway.

Anthony
Posted to rec.woodworking

Im purchasing a DC this week (the shop fox 2HP) and had planned on
hooking it up to my RAS, there is a dust port on the blade shroud. I
planed on going 6" from the DC and coming directly out of that to the
little dust port (1-3/4? maybe 2").

Should I even bother?

It doesnt sound like it going to work very well. Although its only
about 5 feet from the DC, and the DC will only be hooked up to the table
saw and the RAS for a while.

All suggestions are welcome!

BadAndy

--
:: Clever Sig here ::
Posted to rec.woodworking

Andy H wrote:
Im purchasing a DC this week (the shop fox 2HP) and had planned on
hooking it up to my RAS, there is a dust port on the blade shroud.
planed on going 6" from the DC and coming directly out of that to
the
little dust port (1-3/4? maybe 2").

Should I even bother?

It doesnt sound like it going to work very well. Although its only
about 5 feet from the DC, and the DC will only be hooked up to the
table saw and the RAS for a while.

All suggestions are welcome!

While you need something to suck on that, you really should construct
a proper hood. Even a piece of plywood stuck up behind the saw with
the DC hose stuck through a hole in it will cut down on the sawdust by
a remarkable amount. The hose to the blade shroud though get dust
that otherwise would likely not get collected.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to Chris Friesen, Silverback wrote:
I have a 4" port behind mine and a 2 1/2" hose that I would like to attach to
the port if I can find an adapter. Any thoughts?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...aw-402169-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

Silverback wrote:

replying to Chris Friesen, Silverback wrote:
I have a 4" port behind mine and a 2 1/2" hose that I would like to attach to
the port if I can find an adapter.

Any thoughts?

Google is your friend? https://tinyurl.com/y73br69k

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/14/2018 1:39 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Silverback wrote:

replying to Chris Friesen, Silverback wrote:
I have a 4" port behind mine and a 2 1/2" hose that I would like to attach to
the port if I can find an adapter.

Any thoughts?

Google is your friend? https://tinyurl.com/y73br69k

Of course it is. But that sequence that so graphically demonstrates
"DAGS" is slicker than greased owl ****. Dare I as where you found it?
I'd not see it before and it's great!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Silverback wrote:

replying to Chris Friesen, Silverback wrote:
I have a 4" port behind mine and a 2 1/2" hose that I would like to attach to
the port if I can find an adapter.

Any thoughts?

Google is your friend? https://tinyurl.com/y73br69k

Of course it is. But that sequence that so graphically demonstrates
"DAGS" is slicker than greased owl ****. Dare I as where you found it?
I'd not see it before and it's great!

lmgtfy.com = (Let Me Google That For You)
It's been around for a least 10 yrs... an article from 11/19/08:
https://lifehacker.com/5093525/let-m...s-your-friends
A couple of yrs ago they added the 'Include Internet Explainer' check box
for a little extra snarkiness.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/15/2018 7:34 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Unquestionably Confused wrote:

On 6/14/2018 1:39 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:

[snip]

Of course it is. But that sequence that so graphically demonstrates
"DAGS" is slicker than greased owl ****. Dare I as where you found it?
I'd not see it before and it's great!

lmgtfy.com = (Let Me Google That For You)
It's been around for a least 10 yrs... an article from 11/19/08:
https://lifehacker.com/5093525/let-m...s-your-friends
A couple of yrs ago they added the 'Include Internet Explainer' check box
for a little extra snarkiness.

I don't doubt that it's been around that long. It's just that I've
never seen it before. That's a keeper. Thanks!