Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Machinist's Dye?

I know we have a few pro machinists here.

What kind of store would sell marking out dye "Dyekem?", used for
machining metal?

I live near a NAPA distribution center that usually has everything,
and the counter guys looked at me like I had two heads. I can't seem
to find it in my Grainger catalog.

I'm not having much luck with Google, so even a brand name would help.

Thanks!
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bonehenge (B A R R Y)" wrote in message
I know we have a few pro machinists here.

Don't remember the product name, but places that sell black powder kits
and such carry a liquid to find out how much wood to remove for inletting
the locks, barrels and triggers, etc. Maybe if you have one of those close
by, they could help you. FIW

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bonehenge (B A R R Y)" wrote in message
I know we have a few pro machinists here.

What kind of store would sell marking out dye "Dyekem?", used for
machining metal?

I live near a NAPA distribution center that usually has everything,
and the counter guys looked at me like I had two heads. I can't seem
to find it in my Grainger catalog.

I'm not having much luck with Google, so even a brand name would help.

Thanks!

I would stop by a machine shop and ask the machinist where to get it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

It might help a whole bunch to tell us where you live. I purchase
it at K&P Industrial Supply that specializes in machine tool bits
and supplies. Look in your yellow pages for machine shop, make a
cold call and ask them where they get it. Grainger has it:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetailsRender.shtml?xi=xi&ItemId=1611574184&cc item=

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Bonehenge (B A R R Y)" wrote in
message ...
I know we have a few pro machinists here.

What kind of store would sell marking out dye "Dyekem?", used
for
machining metal?

I live near a NAPA distribution center that usually has
everything,
and the counter guys looked at me like I had two heads. I can't
seem
to find it in my Grainger catalog.

I'm not having much luck with Google, so even a brand name would
help.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 17:04:01 -0500, "Bonehenge (B A R R Y)"
wrote:

I know we have a few pro machinists here.

What kind of store would sell marking out dye "Dyekem?", used for
machining metal?

I live near a NAPA distribution center that usually has everything,
and the counter guys looked at me like I had two heads. I can't seem
to find it in my Grainger catalog.

I'm not having much luck with Google, so even a brand name would help.

Thanks!

http://www.mcmaster.com/ layout dye

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bonehenge (B A R R Y)" wrote in message
I know we have a few pro machinists here.

What kind of store would sell marking out dye "Dyekem?", used for
machining metal?

What bq340 said. Won't chip or flake. A nice crisp line. Red or blue.
MSC also has it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I know we have a few pro machinists here.

What kind of store would sell marking out dye "Dyekem?", used for
machining metal?

Thanks guys!

Get this...

In last night's mail (yeah, my mail comes at night, 'nuther thread!) I
got the latest Highland Woodworking catalog. Highland carries
Starrett dye! This might be new, as I don't remember seeing it there
before.

Thanks again for the replies.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"DanG" wrote:

It might help a whole bunch to tell us where you live. I purchase
it at K&P Industrial Supply that specializes in machine tool bits
and supplies. Look in your yellow pages for machine shop, make a
cold call and ask them where they get it. Grainger has it:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetailsRender.shtml?xi=xi&ItemId=1611574184&cc item=

Highland Woodworking does, too, if you don't mind spending a little
extra for the Starrett name on the bottle.
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/i...ROD&ProdID=990
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I know we have a few pro machinists here.

What kind of store would sell marking out dye "Dyekem?", used for
machining metal?

Thanks guys!

Get this...

In last night's mail (yeah, my mail comes at night, 'nuther thread!) I
got the latest Highland Woodworking catalog. Highland carries
Starrett dye! This might be new, as I don't remember seeing it there
before.

Thanks again for the replies.

I've seen it in the store for a long time, but it might not hvae been
in the catalog until recently.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I use both red and blue layout dye, but you can use a felt tip marker
just as well. If you are going to use the dye for scribing lines, etc.,
then that is what you need.
But, if you are using it to test a fit or to test flatness, you need
"High Spot Blue" which is a blue paste that comes in a little tube,
like toothpaste. MSC has that. I have often wondered why one couldn't
just get a tube of prussian blue oil paint, instead.

Not a pro machinist,
Pete Stanaitis

Bonehenge (B A R R Y) wrote:
I know we have a few pro machinists here.

What kind of store would sell marking out dye "Dyekem?", used for
machining metal?

I live near a NAPA distribution center that usually has everything,
and the counter guys looked at me like I had two heads. I can't seem
to find it in my Grainger catalog.

I'm not having much luck with Google, so even a brand name would help.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 23, 5:04 pm, "Bonehenge (B A R R Y)"
wrote:
I know we have a few pro machinists here.

What kind of store would sell marking out dye "Dyekem?", used for
machining metal?

I live near a NAPA distribution center that usually has everything,
and the counter guys looked at me like I had two heads. I can't seem
to find it in my Grainger catalog.

I'm not having much luck with Google, so even a brand name would help.

Thanks!

Looks like Bombay, India

Dyekem India - Textile Dyes Manufacturer & Textile Dyes ...
Lading Textile Dyes Chemical Manufacturer & Exporter.
www.fibre2fashion.com/DyekemIndia/ - 12k - Cached - Similar pages -
Note this
Dyekem India in Leather Chemicals - Rajasthan | India Premium ...
Details of Dyekem India. ... Name of Firm, Dyekem India. Kind of
Business, Leather Chemicals. Year. Contact Person, Director ...
http://www.rajb2b.com/yellowpages/pr...kem-India.html - 38k -
Cached - Similar pages - Note this
Dyekem India
Dyekem India , Udaipur - ... Dyekem India. Business Owner. Update my
listing. 845, Gyannagar, Sector-4, Hiranmagri, Udaipur 313 00
Rajasthan ...
www.hotfrog.in/Companies/Dyekem - 18k - Cached - Similar pages - Note
this
DYEKEM INDIA
DYEKEM INDIA - Indian Supplier and Manufacturer from India.
suppliers.jimtrade.com/69/68484/ - 10k - Cached - Similar pages - Note
this
Karur DyeKem
Karur DyeKem. add your comment in English. Place 2010391 Place 2010392
Place 2010393 Place 2010394 Place 2010395 Place 2010396 Place 2010397
Place 2010398 ...
wikimapia.org/254469/ - 10k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this
Dyekem India, Udaipur, India - Member IndiaBizClub
Dyekem India established in year 1986 , started with production of
Sulphur Blacks & Sodium-thio-sulphate. With time, we diversified to
Sulphur Colours which ...
chemicals.indiabizclub.com/profile/1882256~dyekem_india~udaipur - 17k
- Cached - Similar pages - Note this
Dyekem India
DYEKEM INDIA - Manufacturer, exporter, supplier from India.
www.easy2source.com/supplier/170/84927/ - 8k - Cached - Similar pages
- Note this
Home | Leather | Leather Chemicals | Dyekem India -Expo Era ...
Arts, Crafts, and Gifts, Art Supplies, Pottery, Porcelain, Ceramics,
Wood, Wicker, Bamboo, Musical Instruments, Jewelry, Gifts, Native Art,
Services, ...
http://www.expoera.com/Leather/Leath...-7478-0-0.html - 51k -
Cached - Similar pages - Note this
Dyekem India : B2B Portal India Manufacturers, Exporters ...
Dyekem India : B2B Portal India Manufacturers, Exporters, Suppliers,
Trade Leads, Buy Sell Offer.
www.indiatimestrade.com/view_offer.php?id=3218 - 32k - Cached -
Similar pages - Note this
Dyekem India - Bombay Harbor, Directory of Outsourcing to India ...
Bombay
Harbor,Manufacturers,Suppliers,Exporters,Importers ,products,inquiries,selling
leads,buying leads,harmonised codes.
www.bombayharbor.com/company/15461/profile.html - 20k - Cached -
Similar pages - Note this

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 23, 5:54 pm, bq340 wrote:
Bonehenge (B A R R Y) wrote:

I know we have a few pro machinists here.

What kind of store would sell marking out dye "Dyekem?", used for
machining metal?

I live near a NAPA distribution center that usually has everything,
and the counter guys looked at me like I had two heads. I can't seem
to find it in my Grainger catalog.

I'm not having much luck with Google, so even a brand name would help.

Thanks!

"Layout fluid" is how Grainger indexes it.

"http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/2C945"

MikeB

But, seriously folks:

Try these links, too

http://www.precisionbrand.com/produc...asp?p_catid=11

http://www.freemansupply.com/DykemBlueLayoutFlu.htm

http://www.freemansupply.com/SprayonBlueLayoutF.htm

http://www.kpg-industrial.com/produc..._layout_fluid/

http://www.houseoftools.com/product.htm?pid=170776
Posted to rec.woodworking

spaco wrote:
I use both red and blue layout dye, but you can use a felt tip marker
just as well.
But, if you are using it to test a fit or to test flatness, you need
"High Spot Blue" which is a blue paste that comes in a little tube,
like toothpaste. MSC has that. I have often wondered why one couldn't
just get a tube of prussian blue oil paint, instead.

We use a big chisel-point sharpie for casual layout scribing all the
time in the shop -- it's handier, neater and dries faster than the
layout blue. But the official stuff is tougher, stays visible even as it
gets hot while grinding to the line and so is still used quite often.

And yes, artist's oil Prussian blue is not only usable for high-spot
marking but is often preferred by machinists claiming that some brands
have more pigment.

--
Ron Hock
HOCK TOOLS www.hocktools.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 10:02:12 -0800, Ron Hock
wrote:

And yes, artist's oil Prussian blue is not only usable for high-spot
marking but is often preferred by machinists claiming that some brands
have more pigment.

That's even easier to find.

I want it to mark high spots, and there's an artist's supply store
right down the street.

Thanks again, all!
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

And yes, artist's oil Prussian blue is not only usable for
high-spot
marking but is often preferred by machinists claiming that some
brands have more pigment.

That's even easier to find.

I want it to mark high spots, and there's an artist's supply store
right down the street.

Thanks again, all!

Just a comment but dentists get it on prepared plastic film, used to
check bite when they're doing fillings. Don't know what it costs or
where they get it, but next time you go it might be worthwhile asking.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

And yes, artist's oil Prussian blue is not only usable for
high-spot
marking but is often preferred by machinists claiming that some
brands have more pigment.

That's even easier to find.

I've been a machinist for 38 years and never heard of using artist's
Prussian blue. Not that it wouldn't work, but it will dry. Just never
heard of it. And always had 'regular" PB. I guess it depends on what part
of the country your from.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

What kind of store would sell marking out dye "Dyekem?", used for
machining metal?

Substitute.

Grease = artist's oil.
Blue scribing "lacquer" = thinned shellac with alcohol-soluble dye.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Rick Samuel wrote:
wrote:

And yes, artist's oil Prussian blue is not only usable for
high-spot
marking but is often preferred by machinists claiming that some
brands have more pigment.

That's even easier to find.

I've been a machinist for 38 years and never heard of using
artist's
Prussian blue. Not that it wouldn't work, but it will dry. Just
never heard of it. And always had 'regular" PB. I guess it depends
on what part of the country your from.

Uh, I didn't write any of that.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
I know we have a few pro machinists here.

What kind of store would sell marking out dye "Dyekem?", used for
machining metal?

I live near a NAPA distribution center that usually has everything,
and the counter guys looked at me like I had two heads. I can't seem
to find it in my Grainger catalog.

I'm not having much luck with Google, so even a brand name would help.

Thanks!

Try looking for DYKEM rather than DYEKEM and you'll have a lot more
success.

John Martin
Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob Bob is offline

On Nov 24, 9:27 am, spaco wrote:
I use both red and blue layout dye, but you can use a felt tip marker
just as well. If you are going to use the dye for scribing lines, etc.,
then that is what you need.

I've found felt-tip marker to be a poor substitute for dykem dye.

Bob

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bonehenge (B A R R Y)" wrote in message
I know we have a few pro machinists here.

What kind of store would sell marking out dye "Dyekem?", used for
machining metal?

I live near a NAPA distribution center that usually has everything,
and the counter guys looked at me like I had two heads. I can't seem
to find it in my Grainger catalog.

I'm not having much luck with Google, so even a brand name would help.

Thanks!

It comes in blue, purple, red, green and black...

I forget where it was available (some have posted good links) but I
personally use a black permanent marker these days and then acetone or
alchohol to remove it when done.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

J T wrote:
Sat, Nov 24, 2007, 10:02am (EST-3) (Ron
Hock)
first did scribe:;
spaco wrote:
snip I have often wondered why one couldn't just get a tube of
prussian blue oil paint, instead.
Then did also scribe::
snip And yes, artist's oil Prussian blue is not only usable for
high-spot marking but is often preferred by machinists claiming that
some brands have more pigment.

My old man was a tool maker. I never heard him mention
"anything" besides Prussian Blue for laying out, etc. Apparently it
was the standard back then. Probably cheap, available, and worked.
I'd been wonddering if anyone was gonna mention it. I'm with you
tho, I think markers are the way to go - they're even available in
the corner grocery store, in various colors, tip styles, mark on
about anything, are inexpensive, and work.

Prussian Blue is a pigment that can be used in paints, inks, and other
carriers or as a dry powder by itself. Calling something "Prussian
Blue" doesn't tell you a lot--in machine shop practice its used in oil
for checking interferences and in alcohol for layout, and in art it
may be used in other formulations. It's famous mainly because it was
the first widely available colorfast blue pigment to become available,
in the early 1800s.

Markers may be OK for showing scribed lines, but they aren't so good
for showing interferences. And have you ever tried to get dried
marker off of anodized aluminum?