Emily

Default Help! Sun damage & plastic tarp melted onto dining room table

I recently bought a light colored (like unstained maple) teak or teak
veneer table. The person who sold it to me told me it was purchased 3
years ago from Crate and Barrel and was supposedly in excellent
condition. However, it appears that the seller stored it outside, in
the sun, under a plastic tarp attached with duct tape. The plastic
melted onto the top of the table. I was able to gently scrape off most
of the flaking plastic but the finish is now unevenly discolored and
some of the plastic remains. In some of the places where there was
tape, the wood is stained black. The finish isn't a rubbed oil finish,
like a Danish teak table, it's a little shiny.
It came with a couple of leaves that are in perfect condition.

I have been unable to contact the seller but don't want to take a
complete loss on the table! I called a local furniture refinisher but
after describing the problem he quoted me a "ballpark" price of $950
to repair it. This table isn't a fine antique, it would be worth maybe
a couple of hundred bucks to repair but not more. The refinisher told
me that in his opinion, it didn't sound like it was worth trying to
repair at all.

I can't tell you how much I would appreciate some advice on how I
might attempt to repair the finish on this table myself. As I said
before, it's not a valuable table, it doesn't have to look perfect,
just presentable. I'm ready and willing to do the work, but I know
nothing about refinishing furniture and nothing I've read describes
the problem I have.

I know this isn't a serious woodworking question. Just hope someone
will have pity on me. :-)

Thanks!!

Emily
Mike G

Sounds like a pretty serious woodworking question to me. Not an uncommon one
here either.

Obviously the table has to be stripped, at least the top. But, before that
happens you're going to have to determine or have someone determine if it is
solid wood or veneer. It'll make a difference on what approach to take.

What would bother me the most is the black discoloration. A reaction between
tannin in the wood and moisture. This is usually not a surface defect and
can be problematic.

If the plastic melted into the finish there is a good chance that the finish
was a nitrocellulose lacquer of some type. Also not an uncommon reaction. It
happens a lot to people who use plastic place mats on tables finished with
nitrocellulose lacquer. The up side there is that if it is a vanilla
nitrocellulose lacquer it can be dissolved with lacquer thinner. Nasty stuff
but still better then MEC strippers.

My guess at what the best and probably least complicated course of action
would be is to strip the top then apply a veneer of your own. It isn't that
hard and self stick veneers are available which would further uncomplicated
the procedure.

Mind you know, that is all guess work based on your description.

Good luck
--
Mike G.
Heirloom Woods
om...

Re-varnish dining table Badger UK diy 1 May 29th 04 07:21 PM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 22nd 04 12:58 AM
Moving Small Kitchen into Large Dining Room J. UK diy 3 December 12th 03 06:54 PM
Building an extension table. Rich Woodworking 2 July 18th 03 01:11 AM
Dining room table size Tim Gray Woodworking 1 July 15th 03 08:33 AM