1 1/4" Oak Closet Rod Dowel Over 4 ft.?

Old October 21st 07, 03:05 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default 1 1/4" Oak Closet Rod Dowel Over 4 ft.?

I am in the middle of a home improvement (?) project. It am going to
replace the existing dark walnut stained pine clowels with oak. I have
some closets with rods over 5' in length supported on each end and
with a single center support. I can't find oak longer than 4' in the 1
1/4" diameter. Does anyone know of a source for 5' or 6' oak dowels?

Thank you!

Bill

Old October 21st 07, 04:29 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 20, 7:05 pm, Sam Fertel wrote:
I am in the middle of a home improvement (?) project. It am going to
replace the existing dark walnut stained pine clowels with oak. I have
some closets with rods over 5' in length supported on each end and
with a single center support. I can't find oak longer than 4' in the 1
1/4" diameter. Does anyone know of a source for 5' or 6' oak dowels?

Try smart & final in the cleaning supply section,you will be
suprized. 1 1/4"
hardwood dowels with about 5'2" usable after cutting off the tapered
end
and the best part is the price less than $4 ea.

Old October 21st 07, 10:30 AM posted to rec.woodworking

I don't understand smart and final. Is that a cleaning supply company
in California? I live in the Midwest. I'd never heard of them until I
just did a search in Google. Or, is it a long handle on some product?

Bill

Old October 21st 07, 04:25 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"Sam Fertel" wrote in message
I am in the middle of a home improvement (?) project. It am going to
replace the existing dark walnut stained pine clowels with oak. I have
some closets with rods over 5' in length supported on each end and
with a single center support. I can't find oak longer than 4' in the 1
1/4" diameter. Does anyone know of a source for 5' or 6' oak dowels?

Thank you!

Bill

If you have a 7/8 radius round over bit for your router you can make your
own out of what ever wood you like.

Old October 21st 07, 04:26 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 04:30:18 -0500, Sam Fertel wrote:

Sort of a small version of Costco/Price club..

Good point, though... sometimes lumber is cheaper if it isn't called
lumber...lol

I couldn't find hardwood dowels here in Mexico but found some great brooms in a
local hardware store that were about $5 each and had 5' hardwood handles a bit
over 1" in diameter... made great towel rods in the guest bath..

Is your center support the metal band type of wood?
I'm thinking that if you had to, you could use a wood support and join 2 shorter
dowels there?

wrote:

On Oct 20, 7:05 pm, Sam Fertel wrote:
I am in the middle of a home improvement (?) project. It am going to
replace the existing dark walnut stained pine clowels with oak. I have
some closets with rods over 5' in length supported on each end and
with a single center support. I can't find oak longer than 4' in the 1
1/4" diameter. Does anyone know of a source for 5' or 6' oak dowels?

Try smart & final in the cleaning supply section,you will be
suprized. 1 1/4"
hardwood dowels with about 5'2" usable after cutting off the tapered
end
and the best part is the price less than $4 ea.

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Old October 21st 07, 04:26 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
news

If you have a 7/8 radius round over bit for your router you can make your
own out of what ever wood you like.

OOPS! Make that a 5/8" round over bit.

Old October 21st 07, 05:36 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"Sam Fertel" wrote:

I don't understand smart and final. Is that a cleaning supply company
in California?

Yes.

Does anyone know of a source for 5' or 6' oak dowels?

My guess is that 5ft wooden closet rods will bend and fail miserably in
service.

Think 1" black iron pipe for this application.

Lew

Old October 21st 07, 06:26 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 21:05:53 -0500, Sam Fertel
wrote:

I am in the middle of a home improvement (?) project. It am going to
replace the existing dark walnut stained pine clowels with oak. I have
some closets with rods over 5' in length supported on each end and
with a single center support. I can't find oak longer than 4' in the 1
1/4" diameter. Does anyone know of a source for 5' or 6' oak dowels?

If you don't have to have wood, chain link top-rail will work and
still fit in the closet rod sockets. It comes in 10'6" or 21'
lengths and we cut it with a metal cutting blade in a sawsall.
It's fairly cheap at about $8 for a 10'6 piece. The BORGs will have
it or about any lumber yard. Almost every builder we work for wants
us to use the stuff.

Mike O.
Old October 21st 07, 11:04 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Sam Fertel wrote:
I am in the middle of a home improvement (?) project. It am going to
replace the existing dark walnut stained pine clowels with oak. I
have
some closets with rods over 5' in length supported on each end and
with a single center support. I can't find oak longer than 4' in the
1
1/4" diameter. Does anyone know of a source for 5' or 6' oak dowels?

What tools do you have to work with? If you've got a table saw it's
not hard to make octagonal rods, if you have a router table and a 5/8"
roundover bit then you can easily make them round. For stock if you
have a hardwood supplier have them plane to 1-1/4 plus a sanding
allowance, if you don't then get a couple of "1 inch" boards from the
Borg and glue them up to get the thickness--mount it with the bondline
vertical and nobody will notice that it's a glue-up unless they're
looking hard for it.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old October 22nd 07, 12:13 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 20, 10:05 pm, Sam Fertel wrote:
I am in the middle of a home improvement (?) project. It am going to
replace the existing dark walnut stained pine clowels with oak. I have
some closets with rods over 5' in length supported on each end and
with a single center support. I can't find oak longer than 4' in the 1
1/4" diameter. Does anyone know of a source for 5' or 6' oak dowels?

Make the center support solid and bolt cups to either side opposite
each other. Make up your 6 foot rods from two 3 foot rods.