Shellac tinting

Old October 11th 07, 08:47 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shellac tinting

I've read about tinting shellac with analine dyes (transtint). Has
anyone ever tried to tint shellac with an oil stain?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Old October 11th 07, 08:52 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Chrisgiraffe wrote:

I've read about tinting shellac with analine dyes (transtint). Has
anyone ever tried to tint shellac with an oil stain?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Only if you find one soluble in alcohol. AFAIK, none are.
Old October 11th 07, 09:17 PM posted to rec.woodworking

"Chrisgiraffe" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've read about tinting shellac with analine dyes (transtint). Has
anyone ever tried to tint shellac with an oil stain?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Interesting timing. I tinted shellac with transtint for the first time a
few hours ago. Worked fine.

Oil stain sounds like a bad idea, but is easy enough to wipe up a batch and
try it.

Old October 11th 07, 09:42 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 11, 3:52 pm, alexy wrote:
Chrisgiraffe wrote:
I've read about tinting shellac with analine dyes (transtint). Has
anyone ever tried to tint shellac with an oil stain?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Only if you find one soluble in alcohol. AFAIK, none are.

Sure there are. The alcohol dyes are old school and have been around
forever.
http://tinyurl.com/3yealw
And the manufacturer's homepage: http://www.wdlockwood.com/main.html

Be aware that the alcohol dyes aren't as light-fast as the water
soluble dyes. It's a good idea to use a finish that has UV protection
so you won't have fading even if it is indoors.

I have to thank you, if I wasn't searching for Lockwood to answer the
question, I wouldn't have found this place: http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com
It's not that far from me, so I'll have to make a visit.

Old October 11th 07, 10:01 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Chrisgiraffe wrote:

I've read about tinting shellac with analine dyes (transtint). Has
anyone ever tried to tint shellac with an oil stain?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Transtint dyes are designed to be dissolved in water or alcohol.

Oil and alcohol don't readily mix.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Old October 11th 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:

"Chrisgiraffe" wrote in message
ups.com...

I've read about tinting shellac with analine dyes (transtint). Has
anyone ever tried to tint shellac with an oil stain?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Interesting timing. I tinted shellac with transtint for the first time a
few hours ago. Worked fine.

Oil stain sounds like a bad idea, but is easy enough to wipe up a batch and
try it.

....but NOT on your project. ;-)

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Old October 12th 07, 02:38 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 11, 3:47 pm, Chrisgiraffe wrote:
I've read about tinting shellac with analine dyes (transtint). Has
anyone ever tried to tint shellac with an oil stain?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

You can tint oil finish with artists' oils, then shellac
over top.

Old October 12th 07, 04:39 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 12:47:25 -0700, Chrisgiraffe
wrote:

I've read about tinting shellac with analine dyes (transtint). Has
anyone ever tried to tint shellac with an oil stain?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Mixol will combine with most any finish, if that is of interest.

http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/ht...lors.htm#mixol
Old October 12th 07, 05:02 AM posted to rec.woodworking

news
wrote:

I've read about tinting shellac with analine dyes (transtint). Has
anyone ever tried to tint shellac with an oil stain?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Mixol will combine with most any finish, if that is of interest.

http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/ht...lors.htm#mixol

Are they sold through retailers or just direct? I would like a bottle but
their freight is punitive.

Brick Tinting mark harrison UK diy 9 April 14th 13 03:25 PM
Tinting Shellac Virgle Woodworking 5 January 22nd 07 10:35 PM
Window tinting help please. [email protected] Home Repair 2 June 20th 06 03:55 PM
Tinting Expoy K & C Hunter Woodworking 15 December 18th 05 04:10 PM
Tinting Paste Wax Adam Kropinski Woodworking 9 July 20th 03 01:34 PM