Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shellac tinting

I've read about tinting shellac with analine dyes (transtint). Has
anyone ever tried to tint shellac with an oil stain?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chrisgiraffe wrote:

I've read about tinting shellac with analine dyes (transtint). Has
anyone ever tried to tint shellac with an oil stain?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Only if you find one soluble in alcohol. AFAIK, none are.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chrisgiraffe" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've read about tinting shellac with analine dyes (transtint). Has
anyone ever tried to tint shellac with an oil stain?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Interesting timing. I tinted shellac with transtint for the first time a
few hours ago. Worked fine.

Oil stain sounds like a bad idea, but is easy enough to wipe up a batch and
try it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 11, 3:52 pm, alexy wrote:
Chrisgiraffe wrote:
I've read about tinting shellac with analine dyes (transtint). Has
anyone ever tried to tint shellac with an oil stain?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Only if you find one soluble in alcohol. AFAIK, none are.

Sure there are. The alcohol dyes are old school and have been around
forever.
http://tinyurl.com/3yealw
And the manufacturer's homepage: http://www.wdlockwood.com/main.html

Be aware that the alcohol dyes aren't as light-fast as the water
soluble dyes. It's a good idea to use a finish that has UV protection
so you won't have fading even if it is indoors.

I have to thank you, if I wasn't searching for Lockwood to answer the
question, I wouldn't have found this place: http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com
It's not that far from me, so I'll have to make a visit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chrisgiraffe wrote:

I've read about tinting shellac with analine dyes (transtint). Has
anyone ever tried to tint shellac with an oil stain?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Transtint dyes are designed to be dissolved in water or alcohol.

Oil and alcohol don't readily mix.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:

"Chrisgiraffe" wrote in message
ups.com...

I've read about tinting shellac with analine dyes (transtint). Has
anyone ever tried to tint shellac with an oil stain?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Interesting timing. I tinted shellac with transtint for the first time a
few hours ago. Worked fine.

Oil stain sounds like a bad idea, but is easy enough to wipe up a batch and
try it.

....but NOT on your project. ;-)

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 11, 3:47 pm, Chrisgiraffe wrote:
I've read about tinting shellac with analine dyes (transtint). Has
anyone ever tried to tint shellac with an oil stain?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

You can tint oil finish with artists' oils, then shellac
over top.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 12:47:25 -0700, Chrisgiraffe
wrote:

I've read about tinting shellac with analine dyes (transtint). Has
anyone ever tried to tint shellac with an oil stain?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Mixol will combine with most any finish, if that is of interest.

http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/ht...lors.htm#mixol
Posted to rec.woodworking

news
wrote:

I've read about tinting shellac with analine dyes (transtint). Has
anyone ever tried to tint shellac with an oil stain?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Mixol will combine with most any finish, if that is of interest.

http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/ht...lors.htm#mixol

Are they sold through retailers or just direct? I would like a bottle but
their freight is punitive.

Posted to rec.woodworking

RicodJour wrote:

On Oct 11, 3:52 pm, alexy wrote:
Chrisgiraffe wrote:
I've read about tinting shellac with analine dyes (transtint). Has
anyone ever tried to tint shellac with an oil stain?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Only if you find one soluble in alcohol. AFAIK, none are.

Sure there are. The alcohol dyes are old school and have been around
forever.

True. But he was asking about oil stains, not dyes.

http://tinyurl.com/3yealw
And the manufacturer's homepage: http://www.wdlockwood.com/main.html

Be aware that the alcohol dyes aren't as light-fast as the water
soluble dyes. It's a good idea to use a finish that has UV protection
so you won't have fading even if it is indoors.

I have to thank you, if I wasn't searching for Lockwood to answer the
question, I wouldn't have found this place: http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com
It's not that far from me, so I'll have to make a visit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I've read about tinting shellac with analine dyes (transtint). Has
anyone ever tried to tint shellac with an oil stain?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Mixol will combine with most any finish, if that is of interest.

http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/ht...lors.htm#mixol

Are they sold through retailers or just direct? I would like a bottle but
their freight is punitive.

I really don't know; I've seen it in various catalogs but not in the
only local woodworking shop. Woodcraft carries it on their web site so
perhaps they have it in their retail stores.

Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:
"Jim Weisgram" wrote in message

Mixol will combine with most any finish, if that is of interest.

http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/ht...lors.htm#mixol

Are they sold through retailers or just direct? I would like a bottle but
their freight is punitive.

Mixol colors is a product of The Target Coatings Group in Rutherford, NJ.

http://www.targetcoatings.com/index.html

Their distributor's list can be found at:

http://www.targetcoatings.com/distributors.html

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I've read about tinting shellac with analine dyes (transtint). Has
anyone ever tried to tint shellac with an oil stain?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Mixol will combine with most any finish, if that is of interest.

http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/ht...lors.htm#mixol

Are they sold through retailers or just direct? I would like a bottle but
their freight is punitive.

"Universal colors" are what your paint dealer uses to
tint paint base. Wouldn't hurt to ask if he can sell you
a few tubes -- or even if he can tint a pint of blond shellac
with his computerized mixer provided the risk isn't
on him.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 11, 4:42 pm, RicodJour wrote:

Be aware that the alcohol dyes aren't as light-fast as the water
soluble dyes. It's a good idea to use a finish that has UV protection
so you won't have fading even if it is indoors.

IIRC, earth pigments are light fast, and can be mixed to match
any wood tone. Dayglo colors fade the quickest, but I doubt
anyone here is psychotic enough to stain furniture with them.

Magic marker can be washed off with alcohol, so the
inks are alcohol-soluble. You should be able to tint shellac
by pulling out a wick and dropping it into a can for a day
or so. Pantone offered nearly every color in the universe;
does anyone know if they're still in business?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 12:07:33 -0700, Ferd Farkel
wrote:

Magic marker can be washed off with alcohol, so the
inks are alcohol-soluble. You should be able to tint shellac
by pulling out a wick and dropping it into a can for a day
or so. Pantone offered nearly every color in the universe;
does anyone know if they're still in business?

A really interesting thought.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

Magic marker can be washed off with alcohol, so the
inks are alcohol-soluble. You should be able to tint shellac
by pulling out a wick and dropping it into a can for a day
or so. Pantone offered nearly every color in the universe;
does anyone know if they're still in business?

Pantone is very much in business. You can buy their markers at any decent
art supply store such as Blick.

http://www.dickblick.com/zz213/71/

Lee

_________________________________
Lee Gordon
http://www.leegordonproductions.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shellac tinting (How to do it from the guys that make the shellac)

I would read this first:

http://www.woodcentral.com/articles/...cles_575.shtml

Brick Tinting mark harrison UK diy 9 April 14th 13 04:25 PM
Tinting Shellac Virgle Woodworking 5 January 22nd 07 11:35 PM
Window tinting help please. [email protected] Home Repair 2 June 20th 06 04:55 PM
Tinting Expoy K & C Hunter Woodworking 15 December 18th 05 05:10 PM
Tinting Paste Wax Adam Kropinski Woodworking 9 July 20th 03 02:34 PM