retrofit armoire with 270 degree hinges

Old October 9th 07, 06:41 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default retrofit armoire with 270 degree hinges

Hi,

I was wondering how easy it would be to retrofit an armoire with 270
degree hinges. I'm not a woodworker. I can build some basic stuff -
rough framing, box construction, that sort of thing. Before I embark
on such a thing, I wanted to find out if it's a reasonable undertaking
for someone like me.

Kind regards,
Lori

Old October 11th 07, 03:33 PM posted to rec.woodworking

How are the doors presently installed? Are the edges of the doors flush
with the sides of the armoire now? If so, then it may be a simple matter of
retrofitting the door with suitable hinges. If the front of the case has a
frame piece that the door hinge is attached to and will not allow the door
to swing past 180 - then you are presented with a much larger effort and
most likely beyond your skills based on what you've told us.

Perhaps posting a couple of pictures in abpw (
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking ) showing the present door and hinges
would get you some better info. For instance, if this is a finely crafted
armoire - you may be advised to not touch it. Something less finely crafted
may be worth a try.

Also, you may want to consider just taking the doors off since it sounds as
though you just want to be able to fold the doors bask to the sides so
they're not in the way I assume. Is this armoire now a TV / stereo cabinet
and the doors block the view........?

Bob S.

It's a TV armoire I found at a furniture clearance place for a really
good price. (I haven't bought it yet, because I don't want to if I
won't be able to change the hinges.) It's not "finely crafted", just a
nice looking piece that would work for my current decor. But I want to
use it as a TV armoire, so I want doors that either fold around the
sides 270 degrees, or slide in as pocket doors. I prefer to keep the
doors on it, so the TV is out of sight when not being used. Currently
the doors only open 180 degrees, but I can't remember which way they
are attached. I'll try and get some pictures soon and post them.

Thanks for your input!