Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wots a 'Butt Gauge'?

Curious. I see these on ebay and I don't know what they are for. Item
260167202747for example.

Tim w

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tim W wrote:
Curious. I see these on ebay and I don't know what they are for. Item
260167202747for example.

Tim w

begin 666 rtCurve.gif
M1TE&.#EA" `(`)$``/___^_O[\[.SO___R'Y! 44``,`+ `````(``@```(1
35( ``
`
end

Its used to measure up the wifes or girlfriends backside..........as
the name implies!

IIRC its a device that has a sliding block on int that slides on a
shaft or piece of wood that has a nib on the wend and it can be used
to set the depth needed to mortise and tenon joints, hinges etc. Used
for repetitious markings

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 9, 4:54 pm, "Tim W" wrote:
Curious. I see these on ebay and I don't know what they are for. Item
260167202747for example.

Your standard door hinge is a butt hinge. http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00136.asp

A butt gauge is used to layout the jamb mortise for the hinge leaf.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 9, 5:03 pm, eekamouse wrote:
Tim W wrote:
Curious. I see these on ebay and I don't know what they are for. Item
260167202747for example.

Tim w

begin 666 rtCurve.gif
M1TE&.#EA" `(`)$``/___^_O[\[.SO___R'Y! 44``,`+ `````(``@```(1
35( ``
`
end

Its used to measure up the wifes or girlfriends backside..........as
the name implies!

IIRC its a device that has a sliding block on int that slides on a
shaft or piece of wood that has a nib on the wend and it can be used
to set the depth needed to mortise and tenon joints, hinges etc. Used
for repetitious markings

Which is usually called a scratch gauge, or simply a gauge.
Butt gauges were more elaborate, blocks of bronze or cast
iron with more than one beam and sides ground dead square
so you could use them for striking perpendicular lines.
Intended purpose was setting out butt hinges, hence the
name. You can also use them in place of standard scratch
gauges, where they often work better due to thinner beams
and a blockier, easier to grip stock.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tim W" wrote in message
Curious. I see these on ebay and I don't know what they are for. Item
260167202747for example.

Tim w

Used to measure a Butt Load.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tim W" wrote in message
Curious. I see these on ebay and I don't know what they are for. Item
260167202747for example.

"BobS" wrote in message
Go here
http://www.tooltrip.com/tooltrip9/st...c/stanmisc.htm

Scroll down

http://www.tooltrip.com/tooltrip9/st...misc/95man.pdf

Ah ha! All is clear now thanks

Tim w

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 9, 7:35 pm, "BobS" wrote:
Go herehttp://www.tooltrip.com/tooltrip9/stanley/stanmisc/stanmisc.htm

Scroll down

http://www.tooltrip.com/tooltrip9/st...misc/95man.pdf

The 95 is the one I was referring to. Much thanks for
the instruction sheet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10 Oct, 00:35, "BobS" wrote:
Go here
http://www.tooltrip.com/tooltrip9/st...c/stanmisc.htm

Great page, thanks!

(It's like The Old Days of the Wreck)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ferd Farkel" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 9, 5:03 pm, eekamouse wrote:

Its used to measure up the wifes or girlfriends backside..........as
the name implies!

Ha Ha, yes I was asking for that.

A mate of mine was telling me about the work he was doing on his old wooden
boat. He said the carpenters had had to fit 'butt cheeks' lots of them under
the decks. 'Butt Cheeks?' I said, 'Those blokes are taking the **** out you.
No piece of carpentry could have such a ridiculous name. They are having a
laugh'.

I was wrong. Butt Cheeks is what they were.

Tim w

Posted to rec.woodworking

See the binaries group for the use of this guage.