Kai Koethe

Default Stanley Combination Plane 45E

I have just bought a Stanley combination plane 45E via ebay. Unfortunately
the instructions are missing. Is there a source where I can get a photocopy
of the original instructions. Also I would like to buy some additional
cutters. Where can I get a list of the cutters once available and is there a
source for secondhand cutters? Thanks for helping
Kai

Unisaw A100

Kai Koethe wrote:
I have just bought a Stanley combination plane 45E via ebay. Unfortunately
the instructions are missing. Is there a source where I can get a photocopy
of the original instructions. Also I would like to buy some additional
cutters. Where can I get a list of the cutters once available and is there a
source for secondhand cutters? Thanks for helping

Kai?, That's twice in two days I've heard the name.
Scandinavian/Dutch/Somewhere up in that region we 'Muricans
can never quite identify on a map?

Anyway, enough about you. Stan Faullin is your man. Go to
his Web page and start clicking on the Stanley links. He
has instruction manuals available in PDF form.

http://www.tooltrip.com/tooltrip8/index.htm

UA100, who somewhere in all of this mess probably has a copy
but couldn't lay his hands on it to save the farm...

Fred the Red Shirt

"Kai Koethe" wrote in message ...
I have just bought a Stanley combination plane 45E via ebay. Unfortunately
the instructions are missing. Is there a source where I can get a photocopy
of the original instructions. Also I would like to buy some additional
cutters. Where can I get a list of the cutters once available and is there a
source for secondhand cutters? Thanks for helping
Kai

Here is some information including links to descriptions of all the cutters
and optionial bottoms:

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan6.htm

Patrick Leach buys and sells Stanley planes and other good quality
antique handtools so you might email him as to what he has available
for the 45.

--

FF
Luigi Zanasi

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 08:15:17 -0500, "Maverick"
sugsested:

I Believe i saw Lee Valley sells a book with all the old combo plane
instructions in one.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...urrency=1&SID=

#49L80.52

Luigi
Replace "no" with "yk" twice
in reply address for real email address

Layne

I believe St. James Bay Tool Co. sells cutter blanks made out of tool
steel that you can use to grind custom profiles. I visited their
website a couple days ago, but tonight I tried and it's not there.
Hopefully it's a temporary hiccup.

Layne

On 5 Oct 2003 14:23:48 -0700, (Fred the Red
Shirt) wrote:

"Kai Koethe" wrote in message ...
I have just bought a Stanley combination plane 45E via ebay. Unfortunately
the instructions are missing. Is there a source where I can get a photocopy
of the original instructions. Also I would like to buy some additional
cutters. Where can I get a list of the cutters once available and is there a
source for secondhand cutters? Thanks for helping
Kai

Here is some information including links to descriptions of all the cutters
and optionial bottoms:

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan6.htm

Patrick Leach buys and sells Stanley planes and other good quality
antique handtools so you might email him as to what he has available
for the 45.

--

FF

Fred the Red Shirt

(Layne) wrote in message ...
I believe St. James Bay Tool Co. sells cutter blanks made out of tool
steel that you can use to grind custom profiles. I visited their
website a couple days ago, but tonight I tried and it's not there.
Hopefully it's a temporary hiccup.

You will need to cut, file, or slowly grind them if they are low-alloy
high carbon tool steel. If you use a high speed grinder you will
anneal them. IIRC, the annealing temperature for O-1 or W-1 is
about 325 F.

Not knocking the idea, just pointing this out.

If you really are into making your own you can buy O-1 or W-1,
shape it, heat it to the Curie temperature with a torch, quench
it in olive oil or tap water and anneal it in an ordinary oven.

I bought mine off of eBay, the cutters do sometimes show up.

--

FF