Sherm Adamson

Default Help - need new finish tech.

I make custom billiard cues. I recently switched to a UV catalyzed finish
that is just amazing. I spray the finish then expose it to the light for
just a few seconds and it's completely hard! It takes a very special high
intensity light that requires the use of a welding helmet when using to
catalyze the stuff, but that's the good part! It WONT harden til exposed to
the UV light! I leave the stuff right in my spray gun! It doesn't set up in
the gun and the gun doesn't require all the meticulous attention and
cleaning that I was used to enduring! It's not cheap to set up a UV system,
I think I have about $2k invested all together, but the finish is very
reasonable and it will surely pay for it self in no time!

--
just more hot air! 8^)

Sherm

Sherm Custom Billiard Cues by,
Sherman Adamson
3352 Nine Mile Rd., Cincinnati Ohio 45255
Shop (513)553-2172, Cell (513)509-9152
http://www.shermcue.com Over 20 years experience
almost a decade in "The American Cuemakers Association"
"mitch" wrote in message
Perhaps I should know all about every finish out there, but I don't....

I make about 650 - 700 pieces a year in the Arts & Crafts style. A lot, no
kidding - I'm very busy, but many items are made 10 to 50 at a time.

Most of my work is in QS white oak, or mahogany, and as you might imagine,
goes through the shop pretty fast. My standard schedule for finish is:

water based dye,
sprayed lacquer sealer,
contrasting oil based (thinned paint) glaze,
2 more sprayed lacquer top coats.

10 to 25 pieces at a time get done in about four hours, start to finish. 1
1/2 hours for final dry and they're ready to wrap and ship.

My problem is that in warm, humid weather, the lacquer dries too fast
(retarders aren't helping), cools and collects condensation which fogs the
surface. So.... I put up with the delays and back-logs waiting for a dry

day
to come along.

Does anyone know of a substitute for the lacquer that don't take 6 to 12
hours to set-up? Gel Varnish and similar products are wonderful, but can't
be touched 'til the next day (while collecting dust).

Thanks....

Mitch
www.mitchellandrus.com